Mobius Maxi Support Thread

The error messages were from the day it arrived, Msetup was updated the next day, it still has issues though even with the latest version
I am not aware of any parameter settings issues with mSetup.
As @TonyM pointed out, you are using an outdated version of mSetup that showed the incorrect dialog for updating the Maxi. I could not test this in the first public release because the download site was not ready.
I am only aware of a very, very few people (less than 10) who have problems with mSetup. Considering the program has been downloaded many hundreds of thousands of times I believe one can consider the program as much more stable than many commercial programs.
If something doesn't work properly, please contact me by PM or, better, by email. I will always try and correct a legitimate bug but there is nothing I can do if the issue is due to a Windows, Firewall, Antivirus, etc. setting. mSetup requires quite a bit of memory since it is statically linked and there are no DLLs (except for the language files). If Windows doesn't have enough available resources or memory (Windows memory management isn't perfect) unexpected problems are sure to appear. Special network settings can also be a problem. mSetup is designed to work on a normal desktop PC from XP SP3 upwards. Unfortunately, the iCatch drivers make updating the parameters with the Maxi much slower than with the Mobius 1 or #16. Both of these cameras had an excellent and efficient USB protocol. One must never disconnect the camera before updating the parameters is finished.

Hi, I have just recieved my Mobius Maxi (pre installed with firmware 1.86) and I have noticed there appears to be a lip sync issue where the sounds/voices are 1 or 2 seconds before the actual video and therefore out of sync with the video, 'mSetup.exe' only shows the initial firmware version (1.85) as being available and not 1.86 (mSetup has been updated to the latest version) ., has anyone else had this issue ? I have no problems with other video files from my other Mobius (1 and Mini), I have video quality of the Maxi set to Normal image quality, Image Stabiliser Off and video set to 1920x1080 and i am using good class 10 microsd card so I doubt I'm overloading any software/hardware. Thoughts?

Last edited:
I am not aware of any parameter settings issues with mSetup.
As @TonyM pointed out, you are using an outdated version of mSetup that showed the incorrect dialog for updating the Maxi. I could not test this in the first public release because the download site was not ready.
I am only aware of a very, very few people (less than 10) who have problems with mSetup. Considering the program has been downloaded many hundreds of thousands of times I believe one can consider the program as much more stable than many commercial programs.

just to clarify, the error messages were from day one, the update to Msetup came the next day and I already updated to that but still have the same issue, I've used Msetup for years and it works perfectly with the Mobius 1 but to be fair only a handful of the Mobius Maxi production units are likely to have been used with Msetup as the camera has only just been released and not many sold as yet so if there are some sorts of usage combinations that are problematic then it is less likely that the common thread has been found as yet, I know from our own products that it's impossible to find and test every possible scenario before a product is released, I will do some more tests as you previously suggested and see how it goes

If something doesn't work properly, please contact me by PM or, better, by email. I will always try and correct a legitimate bug but there is nothing I can do if the issue is due to a Windows, Firewall, Antivirus, etc. setting. mSetup requires quite a bit of memory since it is statically linked and there are no DLLs (except for the language files). If Windows doesn't have enough available resources or memory (Windows memory management isn't perfect) unexpected problems are sure to appear. Special network settings can also be a problem. mSetup is designed to work on a normal desktop PC from XP SP3 upwards. Unfortunately, the iCatch drivers make updating the parameters with the Maxi much slower than with the Mobius 1 or #16. Both of these cameras had an excellent and efficient USB protocol. One must never disconnect the camera before updating the parameters is finished.

understand that hardware can come into it, both PC's I use are Win10 64bit, Core i7, SSD drives, 32GB RAM, USB 3.0 etc, no 3rd party Antivirus, no Firewall, I wouldn't think available resources should be an issue, if I can work out a pattern to the problem that is repeatable I will let you know so you can have a look, it's quite possible that the problem has nothing to do with Msetup at all, the iCatch drivers you mentioned may be the bigger issue

Hi, I have just recieved my Mobius Maxi (pre installed with firmware 1.86) and I have noticed there appears to be a lip sync issue where the sounds/voices are 1 or 2 seconds before the actual video and therefore out of sync with the video, 'mSetup.exe' only shows the initial firmware version (1.85) as being available and not 1.86 (mSetup has been updated to the latest version) ., has anyone else had this issue ? I have no problems with other video files from my other Mobius (1 and Mini), I have video quality of the Maxi set to Normal image quality, Image Stabiliser Off and video set to 1920x1080 and i am using good class 10 microsd card so I doubt I'm overloading any software/hardware. Thoughts?
Issue resolved ..
Media Player Classic - play back of sound/video out of sync.
VLC - very choppy playback.
Windows Media Player - play back fine.

Any info from Mobius on when the capacitor version will be available?

Any info from Mobius on when the capacitor version will be available?
I will be testing a capacitor for the Maxi soon

I was reading somewhere that there is build in wifi, but it has no been enable. Is that True and if so, will there be a plan to enable that.

I was reading somewhere that there is build in wifi, but it has no been enable. Is that True and if so, will there be a plan to enable that.
Yes, the Maxi hardware contains a Wi-Fi antenna. It is disabled in the current firmware. I do not know when Wi-Fi functions might be available.

After 3 happy years with the Mobius 1 (ver 3, lens C2), I have received the Mobius Maxi (lens B) in the post today (purchased on Thu afternoon, delivered Sat morning). I have connected it to my laptop with the supplied USB cable, and used mSetup (what a well written program!) to install firmware, change settings and take some test videos. Not everything worked first time though but I have found the reason: the mini USB plug does not make a stable connection. When plugged in, it doesn't make contact and I have to push it a little bit to the right ever so lightly. Nudging it left breaks the connection. It feels like the plug has a very small play in the socket and this is enough to change how the metal pins line up.

I will use the camera as a dashcam powered by a cable (with capacitor once available) so the unreliable connection would be a deal breaker. I'll try with another mini USB cable and report back.

Mine's nice and tight. Shook the Maxi vigorously and also nudged the cable left and right while connected to mSetup, no disconnections.

... I'll try with another mini USB cable and report back.

The supplied TV cable has a nice and firm USB mini plug. The black plastic insert inside the plug surrounds the plastic tongue in the middle of the socket and so makes the plug sit tightly. The TV cable plug is 10pin so it might be an idea to get a 10pin USB to mini USB cable... I really have to get my other cables but the kids are still sleeping.

Are your mini plugs 5pin with the plastic insert only on the longer side, or on both long and short side i.e. 10pin?

Yes, the 5 pin cable has the plastic on just one side.

...I'll try with another mini USB cable and report back.

Good news, the mini USB cable I have in place in the car for the Mobius 1 makes a stable connection. It does have the same play sideways but it does not lose the connection.

Edit: The other spare cable works fine too.

Last edited:
Is the 10pin cable required for a camera with a small built in monitor or a after market monitor? How long is the 10pin cable that comes with the camera?

Is the 10pin cable required for a camera with a small built in monitor or a after market monitor? How long is the 10pin cable that comes with the camera?

Yes, that's what it's meant for.

About a foot long, you don't get a complete cable with the Maxi. The AV-out half came with either the M1 or M2.

IMG_1032.JPG

Yes, that's what it's meant for.

About a foot long, you don't get a complete cable with the Maxi. The AV-out half came with either the M1 or M2.

View attachment 39012

Thanks, a little confused but I believe I get it.

Last edited:
Thanks Tony, does that mean that I will have to run some new Mini 10 pin cables to the front and rear where I have the 5 pin Mini cables or just from the

What kind of an installation are you looking at?

Thanks Tony, does that mean that I will have to run some new Mini 10 pin cables to the front and rear where I have the 5 pin Mini cables or just from the

No, the regular 5 pin cable is all you need. The 10 pin cable will be for as yet unavailable options such as an external microphone or GPS.

Back