Mobius mounting solutions

I wonder if it would hold in a fender bender, if being tapped from behind caused @BobDiaz's to jump out of the cradle and stop recording. I would try to physically attach the base to the liner. If it's solid, it looks amazing Russ, definitely a keeper, nice find.

Unfortunately too high in my car, would interfere with the dots and not be cleared by the wipers. BTW Love the kid in the video, great spokesperson. I don't know how to pronounce the company N I T E I Z E :rolleyes:

I wonder if it would hold in a fender bender, if being tapped from behind caused @BobDiaz's to jump out of the cradle and stop recording. I would try to physically attach the base to the liner. If it's solid, it looks amazing Russ, definitely a keeper, nice find.

I can't remember whether Bob had filed down the cradle lugs. It only takes a few strokes too many with a steel file to take too much meat off the plastic lugs, & make the camera a loose fit in the cradle.

I think it would take a fair whack to dislodge my new mount. The weakest link is the mount to roofliner bond, which feels stronger than I expected. Stronger than the mount to roofliner bond of the previous mount, which I had to supplement with 2 self-tapping screws.

I can't remember whether Bob had filed down the cradle lugs. It only takes a few strokes too many with a steel file to take too much meat off the plastic lugs, & make the camera a loose fit in the cradle.

I think it would take a fair whack to dislodge my new mount. The weakest link is the mount to roofliner bond, which feels stronger than I expected. Stronger than the mount to roofliner bond of the previous mount, which I had to supplement with 2 self-tapping screws.

I've never been keen on the idea of filing down those cradle lugs. In my experience they operate more easily and smoothly the more times I slide the camera in and out of the cradle and I believe they were engineered that way. It reminds me of a review of Apple's Bluetooth Magic Mouse that I came across. The reviewer loved the product but complained that the mouse had too much drag on his mouse pad. After I purchased one I noticed the same thing but discovered that the more one used the mouse, the more the slider rails on the bottom became polished until it reached a perfect feel. It was obviously designed to break in after being in use for awhile.

Maybe give the thing a careful tap and see what happens? I'd hate to have you experience an actual fender bender to find out if it will hold.

How come there isn't a rear-view mirror mount yet?!
How difficult it is to combine
grip-table-leg-can-make-a-desk-out-of-any-area-5.jpg
+
a5989884-229-Mobius%20%26%20GoPro%203.jpg

attach to the review mirror arm, turn to tighten the grip, and then adjust the mobious up/down as needed!
My invention is under the WTFPL licence, just make it happen!

After reviewing footage from yesterday, I'm definitely rethinking the helmet mount.
Where the main part slots into the base for quick release, there is way too much movement for the camera to cope with when the road is as bumpy as they are round here. Looks like I'll be leaving the adhesive base off & sticking the main body of the mount directly to the screen - although this, then makes it less 'quick release', I'll have to rely on sliding the cam out of the cradle

FAAAAAAAARRRRRRKKKKKKK
I screwed up my lens extension, was soo excited about finally getting this Mobius mounted in my rear window, I mounted the lens to the back window then accidentally pushed the casing too far into the roof lining and it broke the damn clip on the cable that holds the cable in place, so I had to order a new cable, hope I get it before Christmas.
damn, soo close to finishing it, was going to do test drive tomorrow and post footage.

I read the whole thread.

I noticed people keep worrying bout their mounts letting go in a crash. This is really not important. If you get in a crash and the other guy is at fault they are liable for any damage incurred not only to your car but also to anything inside your car at the time.

If instead you crash your own car then you just cost yourself a little more money if or when the camera does get damaged. Compared to the car being a total loss or facing a $500 or $1,000 deductible what difference does the camera breaking really make?

Has anyone considered using a lens protector and installing the cam not on the dash but rather behind the front grille? There should be plenty of room and it was be completely invisible. Being in front of the radiator I can not imagine it would get to hot. It would also be air cooled when driving. You would have to clean off the lens cover from time to time I am sure.

I Like this idea. Sadly, only canadian walmarts carry this brand of mint. I am sure another mint package would be about the right size.

You could mount the mobius inside a similar sized or slightly larger package and leave it taped to the dash or wherever your like. No one would pay any attention to a candy package. I forget where I saw these pictures but they may be new to many here.

Here is a mobius inside a tic tac box. naturally it would not work well for a car dash cam this way.

Last edited:
I noticed people keep worrying bout their mounts letting go in a crash. This is really not important. If you get in a crash and the other guy is at fault they are liable for any damage incurred not only to your car but also to anything inside your car at the time.

the bigger issue with the mount letting go on impact is not damage to the camera, the problem is you can miss capturing something important, happens a lot with cameras that hang off a mount and inertia sees them let go, anything post impact gets missed, there's an example of that here https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/head-on-accident-nsw.7050/

Last edited by a moderator:
How about the car mount that comes with the mobius? isn't that good enough? I would like a mount that is the easiest and not to invasive but yet effective. Thanks.

Hello Mobius users. Just sharing my rear mount camera. Can you see it? (I know, my subie needs a wash...)

IMG_2063.jpg

There it is!
IMG_2064.jpg

The mount is invisible from this angle:
IMG_2066.jpg

Close up:
IMG_2067.jpg

Night time shot (wide angle lens):
mobius_night1841.jpg

I hope this was helpful for someone. Cheers!

Last edited:
looks simple :) but doesn't it shake on the bumps?

Which one do you think it's better? Both captures are in the same place, but on different lanes:
rear 1.jpg rear 2.jpg
I like the first one because it gives me plenty of details that matter for a dashcam, while the second one has too much sky which will ruin the exposure during summertime.
PS: I'm using at the moment an A lens with extension cable and there are some physical constrains that don't allow me to play easily with the vertical angle.

Last edited:
#1.

enjoy,
Mtz

Back