Mobius mounting solutions

I like that. What are the parts you used? Is it a modified handlebar mount?

Dashmellow: I am still in the design phase of several DIY mounts. Also, still waiting for parts from China for the other designs. When I get everything together and tested, I will show how I made each, list the BOM, and suppliers.

For this first one, the clamp is as you thought, a modified motorcycle handlebar mirror bracket. The 8mm hole was drilled out a little to accommodate the custom fabricated carbon fiber platform for the Mobius. I drilled and tapped a 10-32 hole for the thumb screw for tilt adjustment. The clamp is designed for a 7/8" MC handlebar. The mirror post is 3/4" so I sliced a thin rubber tube to take up the space, and prevent scratching the post. The 1/4-20 knurled screw holding the camera to the platform is temporarily robbed from another camera accessory. I have more discrete ones on order (see link). I will describe the carbon fiber platform in more detail a little later along with some alternatives.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt...ed-Plain-Thumb-Screw-4-Piece-815241/204274856

Hey guys,

I have my mobius cam mounted on the rear view mirror with a bike mount from eletoponline*** from ebay. Now the mount will not let me lower the cameras view to a good level. I paid $4.9 USD for that mount

Are there any other rear view mirror mounts which are better?

AiViUuK.jpg

Hey guys,

I have my mobius cam mounted on the rear view mirror with a bike mount from eletoponline*** from ebay. Now the mount will not let me lower the cameras view to a good level. I paid $4.9 USD for that mount

AiViUuK.jpg

Guess the mirror arm is not moveable eh?
Maybe you can turn the mount sideways, get a L shape angle pc from home depot. Mount vertical side to mount, horizontal to camera.
something similar http://www.homedepot.ca/product/4-inch-zinc-corner-brace/821652

Yesterday I fitted my rear Mobius, after the issues some have had re heat related problems I opted for a B lens version and to be honest I wish I had gone with the C lens version like I have in the front. Don't get me wrong, the B works spot on, it's just not as sharp as my C lens, so a little lens adjustment might be needed.

I used some Neodymium Magnets and a Scosche magnetic mounting plate ( borrowed the idea from forum member, unni ) and then routed the cable along the door seal and into the rear cig lighter socket. Also, I wrapped some black insulation tape around the magnets just to try and disguise them as they are very shiny.

The Neodymium magnets are incredibly strong and were a bit tricky to fit, sandwiching the headliner between a single magnet didn't work, as the magnet closest to the metal roof just kept pulling away and sticking to the roof. So I had to double up, 2 magnets either side of the headlining worked and gave a very strong fix. This made mounting the Mobius easy, just slide on and slide off when I need to remove it.

Anyhoo, here are a couple of shots of the fitted lens.

Mobius-rear-2-IMG1566.jpg

Mobius-rear-3-IMG1569.jpg

IMobius-rear-1-IMG1563.jpg

Hey guys,

AiViUuK.jpg

Would've thought the ever popular, and equally cheap, helmet mount stuck to the black blob in front of the mirror would've been far more successful.

I thought it might be worth a try to mount the mobius under a cap....

Here's what I came up with:
IMG_20150401_020411.jpg IMG_20150401_020425.jpg IMG_20150401_020542.jpg
Now I love worling with magnets, easy mount/unmount, I use it in my car and at work in the truck, easypeasy.....

Some example:

Note the rearview mirrors are in view as well, handy in case of an incident, now you can actually prove to have checked the mirrors and there was nothing in sight...

Hi there, this is my solution in MB W164 ... works great.
I planned fiber optic for Mobius LED like this
http://www.tme.eu/cz/details/lc-6.0/opticka-vlakna-pro-led/bivar/#
and CPL filter against reflections.

EDIT: after unsuccessful attempt of suppression with cooper tape due to radio interference, came a displacement main unit further from cabling + home made CPL from 3D glasses ;)
more pictures on
http://www.mercedesclub.cz/user_images_category.php?id=572

old installation
http://www.mercedesclub.cz/user_images_category.php?id=486

10651_img-7860.jpg

@dirkzelf , almost the same :D

6ji7Esx.jpg

N2EYWAY.jpg

ffTk3rO.jpg

zCvsrM5.jpg

OOOOHW YES! Me liiiike! :D:D

Like to see more of that....

PS: I did get a few stink eyes when walking on the market with this contraption though..... maybe not such a great idea to execute this idea in public places :oops: .....

Last edited by a moderator:
That's brilliant and so discreet.

Well like I said above, maybe not such a great idea to execute this idea in public places :oops: .....

Oh, and disable ledflash when recording at night, you will pop like a lighthouse..... :D

I set about mounting my new Mobius C to front screen of my Mercedes Vito Dubliner today. As you can see from the images, the shaded/spotted are behind the mirror is quite large so I had to mount it clear of that but I don't think it is too obvious and looks ok from inside too.

My initial plan was to use a suction mount I know I had somewhere in my cave but whilst I was looking for that I came upon some Bose cube speaker brackets and straight away I saw the potential. I then sourced a bolt that would go through the bracket and screw into the Mobius mount, and after running a 6mm drill through the existing 5mm hole the whole thing just bolted together. These cube speaker brackets even have a nice plastic cover so that made it all look nice and professional.

I havent decide how to power it yet, still trying to decide if I should get the 5v power cable assembly or run through to a usb adapter in the lighter socket..

I still didn't found my final setup for the rear camera, but I manage to test an older idea. What do you think about the vantage point in the movie bellow?
Be carefull, the video is pretty long and eventless and it might hurt your eyes at 01:35, 01:55 and 04:35. Also, the camera was pointed a little bit to the side of the road, hence the illusion that I don't keep my lane sometimes.
Jump to the last 5 seconds to see the "mount".

What do you think about the vantage point in the movie bellow?

I like the idea, however the indicator glare/reflection may be problematic. If you were waiting to make a turn and were rear ended you may miss vital evidence.

So should I put another Mobius in the right lamp too? :D
Until now I was rear ended 2 times, 6 years between the hits, both times in straight line at low speed. So I'm willing accept the risk of beeing hit while having the left signal on. I'm more concern of the legal aspect, one could argue that the lens affects the effectiveness of the MA lamp :)
I will try to contact the inspector who performs the regular technical inspection of my car to see what he thinks...

Looks dam nice, but it would be troublesome to take out MSD card and fix wires.

Actually the lens extension is long enough and the camera is mounted with velcro on the side liner. As backup I have also a SD card extention cable which I tested and works ok. As for power the car has the cabling installed for a 12V socket in the trunk (a standard feature for the 5-doors version), it's active, I just need to install an after-market socket.

@horaceCJ, is there any chance to find a good microSD - SD card extension cable in RO?

@horaceCJ, is there any chance to find a good microSD - SD card extension cable in RO?
Not sure, I bought it from ebay, but the seller was in an EU country, Spain if I remember correctly. I got the parcel in about a week.

Back