Mobius mounting solutions

I am planning to mount the lens on an extension lead, my question is, is it ok to attach an angled bracket (probably Aluminium) using the two screws in the rear of the lens? I could then mount the camera out of sight between mirror and rain sensor dotted section on top of screen. This may also act as a heatsink if needed. I will use a super capacitor instead of a battery.

I would be inclined to leave the two screws on the back of the lens module alone as you risk throwing the sensor out of alignment with the lens which was a problem on some modules. Instead, I would suggest epoxy mounting a modified 1/4-20 threaded T-mount on top of the module like in the photo below which provides for secure mounting possibilities using a tripod thread mount or any DIY 1/4-20 threaded scheme.

remoteparts2.jpg

I would be inclined to leave the two screws on the back of the lens module alone as you risk throwing the sensor out of alignment with the lens which was a problem on some modules. Instead, I would suggest epoxy mounting a modified 1/4-20 threaded T-mount on top of the module like in the photo below which provides for secure mounting possibilities using a tripod thread mount or any DIY 1/4-20 threaded scheme.

View attachment 21635

Didn't know about the sensor, point well taken, thanks for that! looks like an epoxy job unless I can think of another way. Epoxy is very difficult to remove if I want to return the cam to standard later.

I am planning to mount the lens on an extension lead, my question is, is it ok to attach an angled bracket (probably Aluminium) using the two screws in the rear of the lens? I could then mount the camera out of sight between mirror and rain sensor dotted section on top of screen. This may also act as a heatsink if needed. I will use a super capacitor instead of a battery.

I'd leave the camera alone. Just use 3m double sided tape on the holder to mount. (may have to set to invert 180 degrees on mode 1 in settings.) Ensure that you can access the micro sd card easily and also can see the blinking red led so you know the camera is recording. See thread on mounting Mobius for suggestions.

Hi Bungus, I would like to make this as unobtrusive as I can, I could mount as you suggest on the passenger side but there is a light sensor on the back of the mirror just where I would put the camera, also it would be tight squeeze for camera and lead and I would not be able to see the red led or easily remove the card. The drivers side is a no go - unless I mount the camera just under the headlining behind the screen sensor matrix where I can see the mode lights the led and access the card adn remove the USB lead to remove the camera if I need to. I would like to mount the lens by the side of the High Beam Assist sensor where it would be quite difficult to see unless you were looking closely. This is what I hope to do. Hopefully I can come up with a solution that does not involve epoxying the lens, I would prefer to Velcro the lens to the screen so able to remove whole camera and lens complete.

Hi Bungus, I would like to make this as unobtrusive as I can, I could mount as you suggest on the passenger side but there is a light sensor on the back of the mirror just where I would put the camera, also it would be tight squeeze for camera and lead and I would not be able to see the red led or easily remove the card. The drivers side is a no go - unless I mount the camera just under the headlining behind the screen sensor matrix where I can see the mode lights the led and access the card adn remove the USB lead to remove the camera if I need to. I would like to mount the lens by the side of the High Beam Assist sensor where it would be quite difficult to see unless you were looking closely. This is what I hope to do. Hopefully I can come up with a solution that does not involve epoxying the lens, I would prefer to Velcro the lens to the screen so able to remove whole camera and lens complete.

If you are creative, I'm sure you can come up with some solution for remote mounting the Mobius lens module that doesn't require epoxy glue.

My personal feeling is that anyone who wants to remote mount a Mobius lens should be prepared to devote the lens module to the task at hand and create a protective and secure permanent mount that will be suitable for the purpose. Chances are you will leave the remote mounted lens module in place for quite some time if you come up with a successful design. If it were me, I would simply go out and buy a new lens module if I ever wanted to use the camera elsewhere without the windshield mounted lens extension. That is the beauty of the Mobius. There is no other camera on the market where you can buy individual spare parts and enjoy this kind of modularity. In the scheme of things, the modest cost of a new lens module if and when you need one seems like a decent value proposition if you want to create a reliable, attractive dash cam installation.

One of the important considerations about remote mounting the Mobius lens module using the lens extension cable is that the ribbon is very delicate and vulnerable to damage (even the newer type). Leaving it unprotected and exposed to the elements such as the sun on your windscreen will only tend to eventually make it more brittle and delicate which could lead to having it fail unexpectedly if it is subject to any physical shock or unintentional abuse.

One option is to put the remote lens module into some kind of small protective enclosure that can be mounted safely where you want it. The mounting method such as a T-stand can be secured to the module itself as suggested above or simply mounted to whatever protective enclosure you use.

I've come up with a couple of designs that accomplish this that might inspire some ideas for how you might approach your particular requirements.

Not too long ago I posted those designs in the DIY forum but I've considered posting about them here in the "Mobius Mounting Solutions" thread for the benefit of DCT Mobius owners who might not otherwise visit the DIY forums. I guess this might be as good an opportunity as any. :)

Mobius Remote Lens EyeBall Cam

Mobius Remote Lens Tube Camera

eyeballbw2a.jpg

tubecam2.jpg

Last edited:
Well, that's certainly got my (Singular) brain cell going, excellent tutorial and idea. Just one thought that springs to mind, is there much heat generated by the lens, as the lens has a heatsink. Is it okay to fully enclose with the heatsink ?

Well, that's certainly got my (Singular) brain cell going, excellent tutorial and idea. Just one thought that springs to mind, is there much heat generated by the lens, as the lens has a heatsink. Is it okay to fully enclose with the heatsink ?

Yes, the lens module generates heat so that is a consideration. Testing so far hasn't turned up any issues but of course I built those projects in January and it is now only March. One idea I may implement with the Eyeball cam is to create some ventilation holes. The Tube cam I'm not so worried about. Remember, the lens module is meant to be inside the Mobius case and it gets fairly hot in there anyway. Time will tell. That's sort of the fun of Mobius experimentation and DIY. :)

Last edited:

BTW, I often joke that I have only three working brain cells left so obviously I'm way ahead of you! :p

Yes, my Mobius is mounted to the lift gate frame, so it does rotate upwards several inches when the lift gate is opened, thus the coiled cord.

Here is the coiled cord: https://www.amazon.com/gp/B00TCNYYGWHere is the mount: https://www.amazon.com/gp/B00QSFKJ8EHere is another similar mount that I bought: https://www.amazon.com/gp/B00BPRLV8MHere is the voltage converter: https://www.amazon.com/gp/B00CP1LQLY
I tapped power from the dome light through a small connector used for RC airplanes. The Ford Escape has a battery saver connected to all interior lighting so that power turns off 20 minutes after the ignition is switched OFF. So the rear Mobius gets turned off automatically after 20 minutes. Front camera goes off with the ignition because I had access to the fuse box in front.

Super max, I noticed you've got a Ford Escape. I'm buying a Kuga (Australian version) and was wondering how you've mounted the Mobius on the windscreen. I tried searching but didn't find anything.

@Gabacho Thanks. How many screw went to the top for the mount?
Is that 1/4"-20 Adhesive Camera Mount?

Last edited:
@Sky Blue I have a small metal plate attached to the mount, and the Adhesive mount is screwed to that plate. Just a couple of screws and I am not sure it is possible for that mount to come loose. When you look at yours it will become more clear as to how I fashioned that mount.

I fabbed up a small piece of acrylic to sit on the rear hatch sill of my WRX along with wiring in a USB power socket. Pretty good results considering the 35% window tint (benefit is that the camera isn't visible from outside). I use a X100FHD attached to the front windshield.

View attachment 3214

Mac, I'm replying to an old post here, I know, but just in case, couple qs about this install, as I want to do something similar in my wagon
1) where did you tap into 12V to create the USB panel? Is it constant on or accessory?
2) can you take a few more pics of the acrylic mount/stand for us? I think this is the perfect solution for Subaru wagon rear mount cams (I have a 05 Saab 9-2x aka rebadged wrx, and I'd like to emulate this or something like this...
thanks!
-A

Planning to use neodymium magnets to mount above the rear window. Are there any known issues with using strong magnets in close proximity to the Mobius? Can they affect the micro SD card?

Planning to use neodymium magnets to mount above the rear window. Are there any known issues with using strong magnets in close proximity to the Mobius? Can they affect the micro SD card?

You should have no problem whatsoever using neodymium magnets for a mounting solution. It will not affect the camera or the microSD card.

You should have no problem whatsoever using neodymium magnets for a mounting solution. It will not affect the camera or the microSD card.
Thanks for that. Magnets and Scosche plates on order.

Previewed the location by using VHB tape directly onto the headliner this morning and I'm very happy with the view out of the window - no angle adjustment needed. It actually performed rather well without noticeable vibration, although I'd rather have the more secure magnet fixing to the car body for long term use, and being easier to remove & replace the camera. The right-angle usb plug from my old tomtom power supply works well in this situation.
20160816_103735.jpg
20160816_103841.jpg
20160816_103944.jpg
2016-08-16_09-04-57.JPG

Thanks for that. Magnets and Scosche plates on order.

Previewed the location by using VHB tape directly onto the headliner this morning and I'm very happy with the view out of the window - no angle adjustment needed. It actually performed rather well without noticeable vibration, although I'd rather have the more secure magnet fixing to the car body for long term use, and being easier to remove & replace the camera. The right-angle usb plug from my old tomtom power supply works well in this situation.

That looks like a nice clean install and it's not often that the desired angle will be inherent in the vehicle's headliner without any tweaking. It does appear that if it is possible to move the camera slightly forward perhaps by about 3/4 of an inch you would have a much less obstructed view out the rear window. Have you explored that?

Last edited:
TBH I just fixed it there without live view preview to see what it looks like, so yes there's scope to adjust the position. Adding the magnets will drop the camera down a few mm and probably change the angle a bit as the headliner is not exactly parallel to the roof structure behind it, so it's not worth playing around with position until the magnets arrive.

Back