Mobius mounting solutions

The Mobius was originally designed for RC aircraft so they made the cradle to be very secure in the event of a model aircraft or drone mishap. Some people like to shave down the lugs like in the link provided by @russ331 but I've found that over time they break in and the camera slides out more easily with repeated use. I like the idea that it is so secure so that the camera will be more likely to stay in place in the event of an accident, so for me it is worth the added inconvenience of the stiff lugs. I would recommend avoiding the use of any grease but it sounds like you are on the right track if you want to make it work more smoothly. Also, I find that a good technique to facilitate removal is to grasp the center tripod lug of the cradle with the crook of your index finger and push the camera out with your thumb.

I've found your last sentence to be the easiest way especially if you take your fingernail and pull up a little on one of the lug fingers while you are pushing with your thumb.

I've found your last sentence to be the easiest way especially if you take your fingernail and pull up a little on one of the lug fingers while you are pushing with your thumb.

Yeah, and after awhile you won't need to use your fingernail anymore.

I use one of those. They work great! I have it applied with 3M VHB tape without the mounting plate. You can buy these from Banggood for less than 4 bucks.

Hi Dashmello, when you take the mounting plate off the plate that is under it is full of open slots, won't that bother the rigidity of putting another piece of mounting tape on, theirs not much surface mount area left flat.

Hi Dashmello, when you take the mounting plate off the plate that is under it is full of open slots, won't that bother the rigidity of putting another piece of mounting tape on, theirs not much surface mount area left flat.

I haven't noticed any problems with rigidity. After I applied some 3M VHB tape (gray) to the bottom of the mount (after removing the other plate) and then installed it in my truck, the surface I stuck it onto takes care of any potential rigidity issues. (but there really weren't any) I applied tape across the whole bottom, including the slotted area.

Here's that photo I showed previously of the installed mount. The rigidity of the base hasn't ever been something to even think about.

Mobius-side-mount.jpg

Flipped the mounting mechanism to the front as suggested in this thread. I like this mount..

helmet.png

Flipped the mounting mechanism to the front as suggested in this thread. I like this mount..

View attachment 26518

Hi Harsh, did you know you can take that top plate off (it slides off) the Helmet mount (one with the 3M sticky pad) and make the unit a little smaller.
However, I went looking for the black 3M pads/tape today and couldn't find it anywhere. No idea what's going on!

Hi Harsh, did you know you can take that top plate off (it slides off) the Helmet mount (one with the 3M sticky pad) and make the unit a little smaller.
However, I went looking for the black 3M pads/tape today and couldn't find it anywhere. No idea what's going on!

what model number are you searching for?

try 5952 https://www.amazon.com/gp/B01EOEW25S

Hey Lola, my Mobius is normally used in the rear using a FPV tilt mount, therefore I leave the mounting plate stuck to the front windshield. This way I don't need to bother with applying new adhesive tape each time I mount it in the front.

Look for 3M VHB 5952, it's readily available.

@Lola, aside from Amazon, if you just go to a local hardware store or Home Depot you can find 3M VHB tape in one inch rolls. The package will look like the photo below. (might say 20 lb.) Just cover the bottom of the mount and trim off the excess. It's very handy stuff. I use it for all kinds of projects and you'll probably find many uses for the rest of the roll too after you mount your camera.

3M VHB.png

Last edited:
@Lola, aside from Amazon, if you just go to a local hardware store or Home Depot you can find 3M VHB tape in one inch rolls. The package will look like the photo below. (might say 20 lb.) Just cover the bottom of the mount and trim off the excess. It's very hand stuff. I use it for all kinds of projects and you'll probably find many uses for the rest of the roll too after you mount your camera.

View attachment 26519
Right now I have the flu and not going anywhere ! Maybe it's just me, I feel like hell.
Jokiin gave me the number and up it jumped on Amazon.
I have to go delete a post I put up concerning it.

I've seen it before and know what it is but for some reason (without the number I couldn't find it.

Right now I have the flu and not going anywhere ! Maybe it's just me, I feel like hell.
Jokiin gave me the number and up it jumped on Amazon.
I have to go delete a post I put up concerning it.

I've seen it before and know what it is but for some reason (without the number I couldn't find it.

There are actually different product numbers designating different properties like holding power or color. Virtually any of them will work fine for your purpose.

Hope you feel better. Get well soon! :)

Amazon's search engine is crap. I tried to find the Transcend SD cards I use and ended up digging through old emails to find where I'd ordered from there before. They showed me nearly everything but what I wanted and that happens regularly there for me :mad: Almost makes me want to back to Ebay :eek:

Phil

Amazon's search engine is crap. I tried to find the Transcend SD cards I use and ended up digging through old emails to find where I'd ordered from there before. They showed me nearly everything but what I wanted and that happens regularly there for me :mad: Almost makes me want to back to Ebay :eek:

Phil

I've noticed that too and it seems to be getting worse. Previously, I had better experiences searching for thing on Amazon.

Mobius 1 and Mobius 2 installed as rear view cameras. I have magnets between the headliner and the car body, plus a small metal plate inside each Mobius case. There is also a layer of VHB tape between the camera and the headliner to stop the Mobius from rotating.
2016-10-08 07.00.01.jpg 2016-10-08 06.59.28.jpg
I am lucky that the headliner in my car is at the right angle for aiming the camera out of the rear window.

Mobius 1 and Mobius 2 installed as rear view cameras. I have magnets between the headliner and the car body, plus a small metal plate inside each Mobius case. There is also a layer of VHB tape between the camera and the headliner to stop the Mobius from rotating.
View attachment 26653 View attachment 26654
I am lucky that the headliner in my car is at the right angle for aiming the camera out of the rear window.

Hi Tony, how is the picture quality ?

Hi Tony, how is the picture quality ?
Are you referring to the picture quality in relation to how the cameras are mounted? I am generally happy with the results, but ideally I want a bigger magnet to really secure the camera. I started with small magnets, then medium-sized ones. No matter, they will come in handy for some DIY job I'm sure.

Actually, I only have enough magnets for one camera position. The M2 is held only by the VHB tape in this test setup.

This seems like a fantastic solution. What Kind of metal plate did you used? And what nagnets did you used?

I bought a Scosche magnetic mount set, which comes with small and large thin metal plates that have 3M adhesive on. The smallest plate fits inside the Mobius case with plenty of room for the capacitor.

I bought a set of neodymium magnets to fit between the car body and the headliner.

With the headliner and Mobius case between the magnets and the thin metal plate, the pull is not as strong as I would like. That's why I also used a layer of VHB tape in there. The VHB stops the camera from sliding or rotating, and the magnetic attraction stops the VHB from peeling away from either the headliner or the camera.

Back