Mobius mounting solutions

If you drive like this:
HandAtTop.jpg

Then you might like this:
MobiusWristSmall.jpg

(I had an unused Nato watch strap on my desk. I just had to try it even if I can't think of a good use for it!) :confused:

I may even ditch the base plate (one of which is a slightly wobbly fit), & attach fresh 3M tape to the main part of the mount instead.

I little bit of tape on the base / over the latch will sung the connection right up. Mine was unacceptably loose so I just added a piece of scotch tape and problem solved. :)

I use one of those low profile helmet mounts for one of my Mobius side facing cameras and it works quite well. One of the first things I did was get rid of that extra slide plate but it did take a bit of head scratching to see how the thing came apart after it first arrived.

I'm using a Mobius C2 as a rear camera. I got 4 neodymium block magnets and attached a pair to the roof of the car (behind the headliner) so the other pair would magnetically stick to the headliner.

IMG_2952.JPG IMG_2953.JPG

I had previously attached some 3M VHB to the other sides of the magnets and made sure the spacing was such that the base plate of the helmet mount could be attached.

IMG_2954.JPG

I routed the flat USB cable behind the headliner and installed the Mobius.

IMG_2958.JPG IMG_2957.JPG

Quick question for people using the 'genuine' mobius suction cup mount. How does the ball/socket joint work? I mean, do you set it to the position you want and then turn the ring around it to tighten it in position?

Any ideas on how to mount something to the headliner? I'm thinking anything with adhesive will either not work or ruin the fabric. I'm guessing i'll have to find something that will clip on at the edge or something.

Any ideas on how to mount something to the headliner? I'm thinking anything with adhesive will either not work or ruin the fabric. I'm guessing i'll have to find something that will clip on at the edge or something.
I used 3M tape to attach Mobius to the headliner of two cars ...

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

The fabric varies in quality from one car to another. To remove the tape without damaging the fabric, use a hairdryer to soften the adhesive, slide an old credit card under the edge & slowly peel the tape off.

Someone did a rear install using magnets on the headliner. I'd search that, or hopefully they respond.

I used 3M tape to attach Mobius to the headliner of two cars ...

Someone did a rear install using magnets on the headliner. I'd search that, or hopefully they respond.

Thanks for the ideas guys.

When the Mobius arrived, I was surprised at how small and light it was. I guess I expected it to be at least a little bigger. For this reason (and because I had a bunch laying around) I decided to use Command Dual Lock strips. I'm not sure that I'd necessarily recommend this exact setup, but I'm hoping that it works for me. It seems like it will hold fine considering its hardly any weight and the strips should peal off without damaging the headliner.

I gave myself a large platform on the headliner and only two small points actually on the camera. I did this so that it holds well but I can move it easily if the angle is bad.

Here are some pictures of the setup. It's almost pointless to include the shots from the outside, since the reflection off the glass is so bad that it makes it impossible to see anything inside the car (sorry for that). I will say that it's almost completely unnoticeable if you're not looking for it, due to only a tiny bit being visible at a normal standing viewing angle.
GALtoiu.jpg FOUDqpQ.jpg S4t1uFb.jpg mQ9PpNn.jpg OV0g2up.jpg GyvKUQN.jpg

Here's a sample clip of what it sees. It's not the best angle in the world but the low profile form factor of not having to use a mount is exactly what I was going for.

v6t4n2H.jpg

I am planning to mount the lens on an extension lead, my question is, is it ok to attach an angled bracket (probably Aluminium) using the two screws in the rear of the lens? I could then mount the camera out of sight between mirror and rain sensor dotted section on top of screen. This may also act as a heatsink if needed. I will use a super capacitor instead of a battery.

I'd prefer epoxy for that. Better would be "Arctic Alumina". Use as thin a coating as possible for full contact and it will transfer heat to your bracket quite well. Then you may not need any additional heatsinking.

Phil

Back