Mobius mounting solutions

This tape worked really well for me over 3 years until it ran out. I kept using bits whenever moving cameras around the car. I can't remember any occasion the camera fell off, but the UK climate is moderate compared to other parts of the world.

Most of the knock-off 3M products are atrocious so I'm pleased to hear your experience. I wonder if perhaps what you got is an unbranded 3M product of some kind? As long as it works I guess it matters not. :)

I'm searching for a solution to mount a Mobius as a rear camera without drilling a hole in my car.
I had this solution in my car but the mount has fallen of after a few weeks. I had this Tesa Double sided sticky outdoor (Link to Amazon)
1.jpg

This is the material in my car:

2.jpg

Does anybody has an idea how to mount it there?

Last edited:
you might do better to try something with magnets where you can hide something under the trim, that trim looks too porous for any adhesive tape to work effectively

Alright, I'll order two magnets (20 x 20 x 3 mm and 20 x 20 x 10 mm).
Hopefully my DIY magnet mount will not spin because of the magnets and the plastic in the car is pretty thick (approximately 5 to 10 mm), hopefully that will work too. I want to stick the slim magnet on the Mobius Mount and the thick one in the car:

magnet.jpg

Can someone confirm dimension of screw placed on mobius 1 holder?
I red it's standard 1/4"-20... as many other cams, right?

Thank you

you might do better to try something with magnets where you can hide something under the trim, that trim looks too porous for any adhesive tape to work effectively

I've built something with magnets under the trim, like you recommended.
The magnet solution actually works great, I've made something similar like Mtz posted on the first site of the thread.

I just wonder how long those magnets (Neodyms: N45 and N42) will keep their durability. On my motorcycle I had those Nedoym magnet and they almost lost their complete durability within one year, maybe that was because of the heat or the shaking, so I'll give them two years in the car before the camera will come off :D

Mtz said:
one named Elastic Ring Mount and the other named Screw Mount:
03 Supports prepared.jpg

Anyone able to help me, i ordered the adhesive mount and foolishly stuck it in a rush and now struggling to remove it. Its kind of wedged between the roof lol sigh.

I thought the fitting was good (tried with tape first and videos were good), but i cant help but notice it in my vision. It wasnt possible to put it down as it would be in contact with the rear view mirror. I could of stuck it directly behind the mirror but it is too obvious from the front.

Ill prob keep it here for a while but anyone know how to remove the adhesive?

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_0442.JPG
    IMG_0442.JPG
    361.3 KB · Views: 68
Dental floss can be used to 'saw' through the adhesive. Nylon thread or #4 string might also work.

Phil

Then you might need some white spirit or methylated spirit to remove the glue residue on the screen

So without too many mods, is the helmet mount with the velcro removed the smallest overall mount? I've ordered one from china while I continue to use my botched attempt.

Oil such as wd40 or even cooking oil will remove adhesive. This is for materials like glass that oil will not sink into. Then of course you must clean the oil off the surface.

I find 99.9% isopropyl alcohol (a.k.a. rubbing alcohol) does the trick on anything sticky. Since it just evaporates off after a while, if it can shift it, it will leave no residue. Just apply with a clean disposable cotton pad that people might normally use to apply or remove makeup. You can also use cotton buds (q-tips) for spot cleaning.

I use an old plastic card (like a credit card, etc) to remove the mount, seems to work better for me than floss. Then I just 'roll' off as much of the 3M as I can before cleaning the glass with the alcohol.

I've had a play around with my spare möbius 'slide' case that comes with the möbius. I had an old dash board magnet mount, so I removed the magnet mount plate/disc from the main body. I attached it to the underside of the slide case. I countersunk the internal square plastic lug on the slide case, and cut down an 3mm machine screw type fixing. Attached the magnet plate to the underside of the slide case, and held in position with a 3mm washer & nut. Then relocated the 4 small strong magnets back into position on the disc plate and refitted the external rubberised cover.

Attachments

• IMG_0149.JPG
    IMG_0149.JPG
    242 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_0150.JPG
    IMG_0150.JPG
    482.8 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_0151.JPG
    IMG_0151.JPG
    408.1 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:
So after 2 years in the Socal sun my mobius case disintegrated... I've replaced the case and remounted the mobius on the top of the rear windscreen.

Reference my old post: https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/mobius-mounting-solutions.2654/page-36#post-201099

imag2632.jpg

My oldest Mobius (3 years 7 months old) is now doing duty in it's fourth car. Not including temporary use in rental cars.

My girlfriend bought a new car on Saturday, & I installed Mobius in it within a few hours of collecting the car from the dealer.

The car uses two cameras in it's 'Brake Support' system. The underside of the dual camera housing has a flat profile, to which I affixed Mobius with a helmet mount between the two cameras. Easy installation :)

291247D7-EDA3-4F32-9FD2-E99A8BD302B2.JPG

Last edited:
Any more pictures in closer detail?

What is the total height in (mm) for the adapted helmet mount as done by TonyM. The height from the top of the möbius camera to the very bottom of the slide on profile mount. Cheers

I've created a little X-Wing Mobius rig so I can test cameras side-by-side :) Planning to fit it in the car tomorrow.
IMG_20171002_231731.jpg
IMG_20171002_231822.jpg

It also works on a tripod, so I can do further testing outside the car too :D
IMG_20171002_232221.jpg

Back