Mobius mounting solutions

I just completed my Mobius install in my 2012 Subaru Impreza. I did not do anything too fancy, but I'm really happy with the install.

Imgur Gallery

I'll add some exterior shots once we get a sunny day.
Flip the mounting mechanism to the front of the mount, you'll get closer to the windscreen. Check for pictures a page or two back.

Flip the mounting mechanism to the front of the mount, you'll get closer to the windscreen. Check for pictures a page or two back.

I tried the mount both ways and I was happier with the orientation I chose. It's been a few weeks since I actually mounted the camera, but I seem to remember I could not get the angle I wanted with the mount the other way.

Yes, flipping the mount around the other way only works if you have a shallow enough screen angle.

I used 3M tape to attach Mobius to the headliner of two cars ...

View attachment 20996 View attachment 20997 View attachment 20998 View attachment 20999 View attachment 21000 View attachment 21001 View attachment 21002

The fabric varies in quality from one car to another. To remove the tape without damaging the fabric, use a hairdryer to soften the adhesive, slide an old credit card under the edge & slowly peel the tape off.

Hello and thank you for your post. Since 3M has hundreds of different tapes, I'm wondering if you recall the specific model number and description of the tape that you used–otherwise I won't know what type to order. Thank you very much.

Since 3M has hundreds of different tapes, I'm wondering if you recall the specific model number and description of the tape that you used–otherwise I won't know what type to order. Thank you very much.
I bought it nearly 3 years ago ...

https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/3m-mounting-tape-£2-49-at-lidl-uk-supermarket.5264/

Sorry but I don't recall the specific tape identifier. This Post by @jokiin may help you choose ...

https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/is-the-3m-vhb-adhesive-fake.20664/#post-271478

Last edited:
Hello and thank you for your post. Since 3M has hundreds of different tapes, I'm wondering if you recall the specific model number and description of the tape that you used–otherwise I won't know what type to order. Thank you very much.

The tape used by most as the best is 3M VHB 5952. Amazon had the best price a couple months ago.

The tape used by most as the best is 3M VHB 5952. Amazon had the best price a couple months ago.
3M 5952 is black, so it suits a lot of dashcam applications. However I'm onto my second roll of a cheaper off-brand clear VHB tape (similar to 3M 4910). When stuck to the black dots around the windscreen you can't tell the difference, and I find the clear tape has other uses around the house.

3M 5952 is black, so it suits a lot of dashcam applications. However I'm onto my second roll of a cheaper off-brand clear VHB tape (similar to 3M 4910). When stuck to the black dots around the windscreen you can't tell the difference, and I find the clear tape has other uses around the house.

Do you have a link to the clear stuff you used?

Last edited:
Last edited:
I wonder what that no-name tape really is? The term VHB is a registered trademark of the 3M corporation and they are generally very protective of their brand.
Well, there's no markings at all on the red liner or on the card tube. It's sticky enough to hold a mobius :)

Well, there's no markings at all on the red liner or on the card tube. It's sticky enough to hold a mobius :)

I think the question will be how the tape you purchased performs long term and in changing temperatures. So far no one has been able to come near to challenging 3M's expertise in high tech adhesives. They are kind of in their own league in a sense.

Edit: Probably for a small light weight object like a Mobius the tape you bought should be fine regardless.

I wonder what that no-name tape really is? The term VHB is a registered trademark of the 3M corporation and they are generally very protective of their brand.

I cut a 1 inch piece out and tested on 2 piece of expired credit card sized hotel keys I have lying around. Once pressed together I couldn't separate them. Have to use a lot of strength to tear them apart. Once apart, the glue is still stuck to the 2 cards. I just tear the bonding. Then I finger roll the stuck pieces and it came off leaving the cards clean.
Name on roll is "KAIZHEN ATAPE". Mr "Google" have no info.
It's stated as indoor/outdoor, waterproof and for auto and home use.
This will be a great alternative to 3M's VHB. Very much cheaper too.

I cut a 1 inch piece out and tested on 2 piece of expired credit card sized hotel keys I have lying around. Once pressed together I couldn't separate them. Have to use a lot of strength to tear them apart. Once apart, the glue is still stuck to the 2 cards. I just tear the bonding. Then I finger roll the stuck pieces and it came off leaving the cards clean.
Name on roll is "KAIZHEN ATAPE". Mr "Google" have no info.
It's stated as indoor/outdoor, waterproof and for auto and home use.
This will be a great alternative to 3M's VHB. Very much cheaper too.

Sounds good! 3M tapes often seem way overpriced. Like I mentioned though, the question may be in how long and how well it holds up.

I guess if they advertise it as VHB but don't put VHB on the packaging they can avoid 3M's wrath and IP attorneys. :)

I think the question will be how the tape you purchased performs long term and in changing temperatures. So far no one has been able to come near to challenging 3M's expertise in high tech adhesives. They are kind of in their own league in a sense.

Edit: Probably for a small light weight object like a Mobius the tape you bought should be fine regardless.
This tape worked really well for me over 3 years until it ran out. I kept using bits whenever moving cameras around the car. I can't remember any occasion the camera fell off, but the UK climate is moderate compared to other parts of the world.

Back