Mobius mounting solutions

I've created a little X-Wing Mobius rig so I can test cameras side-by-side :) Planning to fit it in the car tomorrow.
View attachment 33544
View attachment 33545

It also works on a tripod, so I can do further testing outside the car too :D
View attachment 33546

You have more professional and practical solution than my 3.5y old DIY project

a4-jpg.3530

@niko, I like yours better. Yours I can d.i.m.
Thanks. Yeah, this is if you (me) don`t have 3D printer. But @TomyM version is more versatile and gives options to mount on tripod, I like it as well.

Sent from my LG-H962 using Tapatalk

Thanks. Yeah, this is if you (me) don`t have 3D printer. But @TomyM version is more versatile and gives options to mount on tripod, I like it as well.

Sent from my LG-H962 using Tapatalk

I do installation/repairs for heavy laundry/drycleaning and associate equipts. and have a lot of odd and ends in my basement which I still like to make things. TonyM's is very versatile I agree. I like it too but with your's there's no cost. Or less cost.

Here's the Mobius rig in the car. It's quite large at about 150x75mm frontal area so I decided to mount it central to the windscreen, just below the light/rain sensor unit. From the driver's side it's only just visible behind the rear view mirror. That will also be the best location if I decide to try running 4No power cables to it. At the moment they're going to run on battery-only for testing.
IMG_20171003_132118.jpg

The upper cameras are only a few mm from the glass. Removing the lens caps was a bit tricky.
IMG_20171003_132426.jpg

View from in front of the car, showing the RVM behind the rig, and my GC camera to the left on the driver's side.
IMG_20171003_132718.jpg

I'm leaving it sitting in the sun for the afternoon to see if the VHB tape holds it in place. It's rather heavy at 300g with cameras attached :eek:

It's just a temporary setup while I conduct a few tests. I've had to borrow my rear-facing camera for this, and I would like to put it back soon.

That is really a nice testing rig, how do you like that little tripod:cool: ?
The tripod is quite good, particularly for small devices like action cameras or a mobile phone if I'm recording a timelapse video. It folds up easily to fit into my camera bag.

The tripod is quite good, particularly for small devices like action cameras or a mobile phone if I'm recording a timelapse video. It folds up easily to fit into my camera bag.

Long time Manfrotto fan here. They make some of the better designed, built and most innovative tripods on the market, often at lower prices than the competition.

Here’s a picture of my magnet mount supplied from mobius action cam from the us. You remove the square lug on slide case with the threaded mount for another square lug but with a small screw so it’s tightened up from the inside! VERY strong magnet indeed but costs a pounds to get shipped to the uk :-(

And my other mobius with the mobius action cam silicone weather proof case with a joovuu magnetic mount (just as strong but way cheaper than getting delivered from us)

Attachments

• 5A5B4E40-5AB3-4ED4-B288-7384AB55E293.jpeg
    5A5B4E40-5AB3-4ED4-B288-7384AB55E293.jpeg
    83.8 KB · Views: 38
  • C7BF44E8-E757-4689-95DB-FF33AE24E2E7.jpeg
    C7BF44E8-E757-4689-95DB-FF33AE24E2E7.jpeg
    154 KB · Views: 37
  • 2C5F0AB6-CF4E-4366-A97C-2350B13E0931.jpeg
    2C5F0AB6-CF4E-4366-A97C-2350B13E0931.jpeg
    162.4 KB · Views: 38
  • A015300D-69D8-4513-9686-E82184792402.jpeg
    A015300D-69D8-4513-9686-E82184792402.jpeg
    162.1 KB · Views: 37
Here’s a picture of my magnet mount supplied from mobius action cam from the us. You remove the square lug on slide case with the threaded mount for another square lug but with a small screw so it’s tightened up from the inside! VERY strong magnet indeed but costs a pounds to get shipped to the uk :-(
I assume you have something metal that you can stick this to, which is pointing in the right direction?

Yes I do indeed! I had a reverse camera installed above the rear door brake light but decided to move this camera to the top of the van roof and use the larger cut out wiring hole to pop the mobius lens through and it has just about the right angle for road viewing too

Sample snapshot from the 4-way mobius rig. I can see that the cameras are not exactly aligned, in addition to each lens having a slightly different FOV. However it should be a good solid base for testing when I try out an 8mm or 12mm telephoto lens soon.
171003-1805M1M2.jpg

Here’s my mobius as a rear facing dash cam on my van, saves water ingress on the mini usb lead if mounted on the outside

Attachments

• 5B8C53C3-7193-4A89-BF8A-9827404F397E.jpeg
    5B8C53C3-7193-4A89-BF8A-9827404F397E.jpeg
    98.7 KB · Views: 37
  • 03E9849D-419C-405F-8AB1-4431661AD117.jpeg
    03E9849D-419C-405F-8AB1-4431661AD117.jpeg
    82.6 KB · Views: 37
Sample snapshot from the 4-way mobius rig. I can see that the cameras are not exactly aligned, in addition to each lens having a slightly different FOV. However it should be a good solid base for testing when I try out an 8mm or 12mm telephoto lens soon.
View attachment 33565

Nice shots.
Confirms @jokiin's statement that Novateks rtc are not very exact.

I considered a couple of options for my Mobius rearview install, but went option #2 in the end.

1. Attach Mobius to Scosche magnet via adhesive, then magnetize to headliner. Con with this approach is some line of sight obstruction. Cam could also move/rotate though that could be fixed by adding adhesive between magnet and headliner. Also, wiring of usb power to back of cam would be inelegant.

IKDoBsV.jpg

tMzo2S5.jpg

QHSHvzz.jpg

tHf7OFN.jpg

2. Tuck Mobius in 1/2” space between headliner and roof. Con with this approach is that the Mobius is thicker (by .2") than available space. While it can be forced in that space, there is some stress to the headliner and its clips. Pro with this approach is the Mobius is snugly held in place with no possibility for movement and without any adhesive or mount. Also, all wiring is neatly tucked along space between headliner and roof and there is no line of sight obstruction.

nVzMEqk.jpg
ZKpi0px.jpg
MTDDNvd.jpg

TRyRHTc.jpg

Last edited:
I considered a couple of options for my Mobius rearview install, but went option #2 in the end.

1. Attach Mobius to Scosche magnet via adhesive, then magnetize to headliner. Con with this approach is some line of sight obstruction. Cam could also move/rotate though that could be fixed by adding adhesive between magnet and headliner. Also, wiring of usb power to back of cam would be inelegant.

IKDoBsV.jpg

tMzo2S5.jpg

QHSHvzz.jpg

tHf7OFN.jpg

2. Tuck Mobius in 1/2” space between headliner and roof. Con with this approach is that the Mobius is thicker (by .2") than available space. While it can be forced in that space, there is some stress to the headliner and its clips. Pro with this approach is the Mobius is snugly held in place with no possibility for movement and without any adhesive or mount. Also, all wiring is neatly tucked along space between headliner and roof and there is no line of sight obstruction.

nVzMEqk.jpg
ZKpi0px.jpg
MTDDNvd.jpg

TRyRHTc.jpg

I kind of like option number two as well. The line of sight issue might be improved if you tilt the camera down several degrees. I did a similar Mobius installation (no magnet though, just VHB tape) and used a nylon "anti-wobble" furniture wedge. You can buy them on Amazon or at your local hardware store or make one out of something you find around the house. In my case, the wedge gave me the exact angle required but I was prepared to sand it down if needed.

wedge.jpg

IKDoBsV.jpg

tMzo2S5.jpg

QHSHvzz.jpg

tHf7OFN.jpg

nVzMEqk.jpg
ZKpi0px.jpg
MTDDNvd.jpg

TRyRHTc.jpg
I assume by line of sight you are referring to the drivers view rather than the cameras view? Did you compare the camera's view and the recorded video from each viewpoint before deciding which one to go with?

I assume by line of sight you are referring to the drivers view rather than the cameras view? Did you compare the camera's view and the recorded video from each viewpoint before deciding which one to go with?

Yes, I meant obstruction when looking through my rear view mirror. This is particularly an issue in this car as the rear half of the roof slopes significantly downward (it’s a coupe).

From the cam’s perspective, of the three viewpoints (#1.2, #1.1 and #2), the video quality is best with the latter two. In #1.2, the cam angles upward slightly too much, a problem @Dashmellow wedge suggestion would solve (I would still be dealing with the line of sight of issue there, unfortunately).

Another reason I like option #2 best is due to its simplicity. As I’ve grown older, I’ve become more and more fascinated (perhaps obsessed is a more honest word) with finding what I call “optimal simplicity”, especially when aesthetics are involved. There’s a level of quality or purity that I find really appealing in the most simple solutions, even though more complicated alternatives might offer marginally better results. In this particular case, I love the fact that my car’s manufacturer decided to leave enough space for me to wedge in my Mobius, which is literally all I did—no mounts, adhesives, magnets, metal plates, etc.—and it so happens the view is perfect, the cam is virtually invisible from outside and I see no part of it in my rear view mirror. There’s just so much I love about that.

Back