Mobius mounting solutions

Where did you get the heatsink and what did you use to glue it on. I was thinking of making holes all over the plastic, So air can pass thru it. Make something like a honeycomb on both sides. and see how that holds up first.

A local surplus electronics store had just gotten them in stock. The heatsink came with the adhesive on it, all I had to do was just peal off the plastic backing and press it onto the Mobius heatsink.

The idea of adding holes on the Mobius is reasonable and it should help with air flow inside.

We all know that mounting your suction cup on a textured dashboard is pointless as it won't stay fixed, but sometimes it would be very useful.

In my case I don't want a permanent fix since I need to use it in many different trucks, so I use one of these:

http://stores.ebay.com/misterstickee

The "Cup Buddies" are ideal!! They come in different sizes, and the new transparent ones stick very well to the suction cup, so that if you take the mount off of the dashboard, the disc stays on the suction cup rather than coming of. The mount stays put all day long, very reliable! Make sure to clean the dash surface first... I use it for the Mobius mount, as well as for the phone mount. I love them!

My favourit tripod dash mount? http://img.rakuten.com/PIC/49038621/0/1/300/49038621.jpg

It's small, low profile, sturdy, has an adjustible ball mounted joint, and VERY easy to mount, just push down and you're done! I bought it on Ebay, but I can't find it there anymore.

Also I have considered this one from Akron: http://www.ebay.nl/itm/111208074714 because it has it's own gel/sillicone sticky suction cup, and needs no extra pad, but unfortunately it's just slightly too big for me to carry around, and the price is a bit high, considering the postage.

If you need a magnetic mount: http://www.ebay.nl/itm/121260324643

You may need a ball joint to adjust the camera's recording field of view. Nevertheless, a nice thing to have when needed......

Last edited:
That looks intresting. How does that transparent disc holds to the windshield?

I still think the ultimate mount would be a clip to the rearview mirror.

Every car has a review mirror. And that mirror is both at the center of the windshield and bigger then the mobius, so the mobius can be completely invisible to the driver/passengers if mounted behind it. Ideal (in my opinion)

I don't think mounting it there is a challenge if you have the resources to make a mount.
for example a simple U shape clip with a tightening screw can be easily attached to almost any shape of mirror mounting, then you just need to attached an adjustable articulating ball piece to it and voila!

That looks intresting. How does that transparent disc holds to the windshield?

VERY well, actually, a bit too well in my opinion, I would advise the disc only for use on textured dashboards, when mounting to a windshield I would advise to use just the plain suction cup.

Last edited by a moderator:
Last edited:
The suction/magnetic Pop Mount seems like a very clever product that has many potential uses but I am skeptical that it would make a good automotive windshield mount for a Mobius or any other camera. In addition, it seems like it is way too expensive to be a good investment at 19.95 USD plus another 5.95 USD more for the dual-threaded camera mount for mounting a camera that costs less than 70 USD. (It would be very easy to create an inexpensive DIY dual-threaded mount though.)

The reason I question whether this mount is viable is that I believe it would allow the camera to vibrate in a moving vehicle and it would likely allow the camera to wobble and oscillate on a bumpy road.

I have watched the video on the Pop Mount web site several times. If you observe VERY carefully you will notice that the mount allows the attached phone to wobble under certain conditions. It seems as if the video is crafted so that you only get the briefest glimpses of the mount in action and most of the time it is attached to stationary objects. Also, in the section of the video at 58 seconds where the presenter is demonstrating how secure the magnet holds to the back of a phone by shaking the device he is careful to hold it in such a way as to not allow the ball and socket joint to be part of the equation. There is no way to tighten and secure the ball and socket joint in position and I believe they know it will not hold securely enough under shaking or impact.

Pay close attention at the 33/34 second mark in the video to observe the inherent wobble I am trying to describe.

From my personal experience, one needs to have a very stable and secure windscreen mount for a dash cam or you will get unacceptable video quality. Since you can buy a small rock solid suction or adhesive mount for a few dollars, I think the Pop Mount is not a good buy for a Mobius mount although I really do like the magnet concept. As Niko has pointed out this can be an easy DIY project using some readily available rare-earth magnets.

Ya @Dashmellow I noticed that wobble too. You would have to lose the suction mount for an adhesive mount and it would work

The Mobius weighs significantly less than any mobile phone. That alone will have a huge impact on any potential vibration issues.

The Mobius weighs significantly less than any mobile phone. That alone will have a huge impact on any potential vibration issues.

You have a point about the weight of the Mobius but I still don't think I would trust this mount's stability. Perhaps it is because I live in a rural area, on a dirt road in fact and have learned that with dash cams there is no such thing as a too secure mount. Lately, there has been a lot of ice and snow on the roads, paved or otherwise and this too creates rough driving conditions. My guess is that the Pop Mount would vibrate regardless of the weight of what it is holding by the nature of its design.

I would hate to realize after the fact that I had caught blurred video of an incident or worse, to discover the bumpy road I'd been on previously had caused the unsecured ball and socket joint to shift the camera from where it had been aimed without my having noticed.

The small suction mount I bought for my Mobius at less than 1/5th the price of a Pop Mount plus threaded adapter is solid as a rock.

Anyway, perhaps someone who buys a Pop Mount or already owns one might post a review after some hands on experience.

Last edited:
as i promised in january, my mount :p Using that up angled adapter https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/151175954636
mobius.jpg

Back