Mobius mounting solutions

Nop, isnt same. My adapter works fine with the mobius approved 3 meter cable :) Look adapter pictures @ ebay, you see some difference.

I've searched eBay, Amazon & Aliexpress, but couldn't find a female mini usb to male mini usb adapter that looks like the one you're using. Would you please post a link to the adapter you bought?

In another thread discussing less expensive alternatives that apparently have existed long before some recent expensive derivative products I just stumbled on this one that looks for all intent and purpose to be identical to the POP Mount concept. $3.97 USD (link)

pop-.jpg

I've completed the Mobius install on my 2011 Ford Explorer and I am delighted. After looking at my options I decided to connect the unit to the overhead map light circuit behind aft of the mirror. I used a 12V-5V converter to tap the light circuit and it fits easily above the headliner directly behind the windshield/screen. The usb power threads through the same opening as the cables to the mirror and the rain sensor. I did install a 90 degree usb fitting on the Mobius so everything would fit without interrupting the mirror. Two notes...I too would like a smaller mount but after the install I've concluded that if it was smaller I probably could not aim the unit forward because of the slope of the windshield. And, because I connected the Mobius to the map lights the power remains on until the Battery Saver relay kicks in. That's 10 minutes and there doesn't appear to be a way to adjust the timer. So whenever the car is shut down I collect 10 minutes of video that I don't want. I'm willing to go with the present arrangement since I'm not planning on using any of the video files unless something happens. Hope for never.
Anyway, here are couple of pics.

regards,
Steve
IMG_1008 (1).jpg IMG_1012 (1).jpg

I've completed the Mobius install on my 2011 Ford Explorer and I am delighted. After looking at my options I decided to connect the unit to the overhead map light circuit behind aft of the mirror. I used a 12V-5V converter to tap the light circuit and it fits easily above the headliner directly behind the windshield/screen. The usb power threads through the same opening as the cables to the mirror and the rain sensor. I did install a 90 degree usb fitting on the Mobius so everything would fit without interrupting the mirror. Two notes...I too would like a smaller mount but after the install I've concluded that if it was smaller I probably could not aim the unit forward because of the slope of the windshield. And, because I connected the Mobius to the map lights the power remains on until the Battery Saver relay kicks in. That's 10 minutes and there doesn't appear to be a way to adjust the timer. So whenever the car is shut down I collect 10 minutes of video that I don't want. I'm willing to go with the present arrangement since I'm not planning on using any of the video files unless something happens. Hope for never.
Anyway, here are couple of pics.

regards,
Steve
View attachment 3866 View attachment 3867
Very nice, that angle cable really let you get close to the mirror.

I always suggest with the Mobius, to tilt it a little down as opposed to parallel to the ground. It helps the exposure when the sky is bright and your in shade. For example in the morning and the evening. Otherwise the bright sky/sun makes things darker.

I would also suggest that you check the video occasionally and reformat the card a few times a year to ensure all is working OK

That's 10 minutes and there doesn't appear to be a way to adjust the timer. So whenever the car is shut down I collect 10 minutes of video that I don't want.
Actually some of us consider this an advantage ;) And for me it's 30 minutes.

Actually some of us consider this an advantage ;) And for me it's 30 minutes.
Oops, I posted my answer at the end of the thread...Sorry
Steve
What is this 5v power supply you guys are using for the hard wire install.
Oops, I posted my answer at the end of the thread..Sorry
Steve

The converter box is cool but I bet you can't get it just anywhere.

What I was thinking is adding this...

To this...

Add a bit of Electrical tape or heat shrink to make sure it all stays together.

Cut of the mail plug and wire to the fuse box with this...

To achieve the 12v-5v DC/DC.

To this...

There is a similar, perhaps better way to achieve the same thing and it likely costs less and would be easier to install. One issue is that the method you have in mind requires a ground for the circuit which is easy to find near where you mount the female plug. So, in other words, if you use a fuse tap you only need to run a single wire and you can buy a product already intended for this purpose instead of having to modify an extension cord.

cigtap.jpg

installtap.jpg

Last edited:
Looks cool.
I did see that fuse adapter.
I see that it lets you stack fuses. I guess one is for the original power and the other is for the tap.
This is what you get in the package for this fuse adaptor.

you are more than likely to going wire into the same circuit as the cigarette lighter
so the amps should be safe any way. No extra fuse.

For you're set up you still need this right?

it would be cool if there was an inline 12v-5v USB that looked like what we are trying to achieve.

Last edited:
Yes, you still need the 5V USB cigarette adapter. I guess it is always good to have devices on their own fuses. Anyway, I really like the unit GrayGhost posted a link to for this purpose.

To this...

All these ideas will work. I just didn't want to fish wire to the fuse box when I had access right at the site. The converter came USPS in two days and was only $12, free shipping. I all ready had the items you've listed but after looking closer at the extra effort I put them away for another project...maybe.
Steve

All these ideas will work. I just didn't want to fish wire to the fuse box when I had access right at the site. The converter came USPS in two days and was only $12, free shipping. I all ready had the items you've listed but after looking closer at the extra effort I put them away for another project...maybe.
Steve

I didn't know these were available so thanks for providing the link. I have a temperature/compass console in my truck headliner and there's plenty of room inside to add one of these. I had thought previously about tapping into the 12V circuitry up there but it seemed like too much of a pain yet this converter seems like it could make it worth the effort. I could even see adding a small USB hub that would allow multiple 5V devices if desired. (For example, there's been some other discussion here about using more than one Mobius at the same time, such as both the A & B wide and narrow lenses or two units optimized for day and night) Anyway, I like that it provides 3Amps.

Back