Mobius mounting solutions

Lots of great ideas in this thread. Ordered my möbius this week and asked them to substitute the suction mount for the visor clip one. That will do me for now just to get started. Will likely do the magnetic style later.

Can anyone show their möbius mount choice in a newer VW Golf? I just got my unit and have the visor mount but was looking for something up behind the mirror. There is so little space in that area.

Try the slipping the visor mount between the head liner where it meet's the glass. I can get my fingers in there on ours. It's an 03.
When I come up with something better i'll post it up. I'm working on the jeep first but have a few ideas that I can do for the VW at the plastic shop.

Yeh. Mine is a 2012 Golf. The visor clip shoves into the dash vent but I didn't want a dash mount set up. I'll keep scheming but anyone else with an idea please share.

Can anyone show their möbius mount choice in a newer VW Golf? I just got my unit and have the visor mount but was looking for something up behind the mirror. There is so little space in that area.

Myself personally never liked most of dashcam stock ( factory ) mounts / bracket, so for most of dashcams I have, - I do my own brackets.
Here are few Mobius bracket / mount DIY projects, you might find interesting: Project 1,Project 2.
Both can fit perfectly behind rearview mirror of most cars.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Niko,
Yes, I saw your second one but I still think the area may be too tight on the VW. I think the back of mirror to windshield distance is 3 inches or so.

Hey Niko,
Yes, I saw your second one but I still think the area may be too tight on the VW. I think the back of mirror to windshield distance is 3 inches or so.

Can you share photos of rearview mirror position against windshield taken from the down, I mean from below the mirror ( hope you know what I mean ). Also from sides as well. In my car ( Passat B6 ) rearview mirror is also pretty close to the ceiling and windshield ( one of the closest I ever seen in this type of cars ), so it is always a struggle for me to mount behind rearview mirror, there for I do my own bracket / mounts.

Usually the problem is the USB straight plug. I had to mount mine a little bit below my Volkswagen mirror to get the plug to fit, not the camera.

Last edited:
I was thinking of straddling the rear view's mount and attaching it to the window above on our VW.
I think we have more room than you're year Golf.
I'm sure the Tapes that I have will stay stuck for a while.
First drawing on the PC. super stoked.
back

side

front

Just got a Mobius, and I'm experimenting with mounting. I had the notion of improvising a mount on the rear view mirror arm. I bought a small t-brace, and a matching mending brace, and a couple of small ceramic block magnets, and 8 small magnets with sticky foam on one side (I used 6 of them).
MobiousMount1.jpg
So a couple of nuts and bolts would let me lock the t-brace onto the back of the mirror, and the "T" extends straight ahead toward the windshield. Then I stuck the ceramic magnets onto the t-brace, and they grip it firmly. That makes a magnet base. Attach the sticky foam magnets to the Mobius, and it should stay. The following view is looking up at the mirror from the dash behind the steering wheel:
MobiousMount2.jpg
Here it is with the camera attached:
MobiousMount3.jpg
...and this from the outside:
MobiousMount4.jpg
I'm reasonably happy at this point. The magnetic grip is a bit weak, because those foam magnets are pretty weak. If I want a stronger grip, I could remove them and glue a stronger ceramic magnet to the Mobius.

Right now, the wire is dangling. I've got a right-angle mini-USB short extender on order, which should route the wire nicely toward the roof. This listing on eBay was recommended in another thread.

Anyway, I'm fumbling with this, but I'm pleased that I could do this without tools and without doing anything irreversible.

By the way, I'd bought several of the mount options from BuyMobius, figuring that I couldn't really know what would work for me without trying. The standard mounts worked well enough, but they dangled the Mobius more obtrusively than I liked. This motivated me to keep trying.

Addendum: I may end up replacing the magnets with Velcro, which are lighter and have a lower profile. I started with magnets because they seemed more flexible for experiments.

Last edited:
Hey Niko,

3" x 2.54cm = 7.62mm, - with my solutions your Mobius will might fit just about ... ? Can't say, have to see it in real life.
Other option: buy lens extension cable and mount lens to the side of the mobius, this way for sure you will fit it ;)

I was thinking of straddling the rear view's mount and attaching it to the window above on our VW.
I think we have more room than you're year Golf.
I'm sure the Tapes that I have will stay stuck for a while.
First drawing on the PC. super stoked.
back

side

front

Great !
This was actually one of my ideas also to "wrap-around" mount like you pictured aroud rearview arm.

Just got a Mobius, and I'm experimenting with mounting. I had the notion of improvising a mount on the rear view mirror arm. I bought a small t-brace, and a matching mending brace, and a couple of small ceramic block magnets, and 8 small magnets with sticky foam on one side (I used 6 of them).
View attachment 3945
So a couple of nuts and bolts would let me lock the t-brace onto the back of the mirror, and the "T" extends straight ahead toward the windshield. Then I stuck the ceramic magnets onto the t-brace, and they grip it firmly. That makes a magnet base. Attach the sticky foam magnets to the Mobius, and it should stay. The following view is looking up at the mirror from the dash behind the steering wheel:
View attachment 3946
Here it is with the camera attached:
View attachment 3947
...and this from the outside:
View attachment 3948
I'm reasonably happy at this point. The magnetic grip is a bit weak, because those foam magnets are pretty weak. If I want a stronger grip, I could remove them and glue a stronger ceramic magnet to the Mobius.

Right now, the wire is dangling. I've got a right-angle mini-USB short extender on order, which should route the wire nicely toward the roof. This listing on eBay was recommended in another thread.

Anyway, I'm fumbling with this, but I'm pleased that I could do this without tools and without doing anything irreversible.

By the way, I'd bought several of the mount options from BuyMobius, figuring that I couldn't really know what would work for me without trying. The standard mounts worked well enough, but they dangled the Mobius more obtrusively than I liked. This motivated me to keep trying.

Addendum: I may end up replacing the magnets with Velcro, which are lighter and have a lower profile. I started with magnets because they seemed more flexible for experiments.

Great Start.
Me also started experimenting fist with what I had in hand.

My first project was using fridge door seal mangets: HERE
Then moved to more complicated solution wit using neodymium magnets HERE, - this project is for "lazy?" - convenient person like me, who want to attach-detach device with one hand without even looking at the right place.
I think most easy to build for "average Joe" will be this one HERE

Keep experimenting, - it's fun and exiting ! ... at least for me ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
There's a nice installation at http://imgur.com/a/UfFGK

This guy reads my mind and did a great job. I had same idea few years ago by using #16, #18 - family keychain camera + lens extension cable. Back then if I remember extension length was even 45cm.
That solution is easy to install even into rearview mirror, or into mirror arm housing for cars that has it. But many cars have "naked" mirror arm and this install is out of question ( if only built into the arm itself which I am working on this now for my car). If only Mobius could have option of 50cm lens extension, then I could built into rearview mirror ;).
Its a pitty that for longer extension cable you need a good shield to minimize external electromagnetic interference and more strong cable built in order not to damage it when "playing around" ( bending it ). Hope one day they do build such a cable so me and many others enthusiasts can forfill their DIY dreams :)

Last edited:
I have been playing with the lens extension idea.

I want to take it one step further and get the micros extension too. This way I can design it so I have a casing, like in the images posted, the lens will poke out of the casing, the mobius is hidden, and the micros can easily be removed but is hidden.

I like the idea of using a casing. The one posted at http://imgur.com/a/UfFGK I cannot tell if it is custom casing or came with the car. Either way I would rather a casing like that so it is more secure and would take some time to rip out. With the micros extension I want to build it in such a way that if the camera is ripped out that the card cable comes out. They would need to look hard for the card.

The one posted at http://imgur.com/a/UfFGK I cannot tell if it is custom casing or came with the car.
Definetly came with the car, I have something similar which covers rain sensor and maybe other electronics. I considered it as an option, but I didn't want to make extra holes.

Thats a standard mirror arm / mount used in many Renault cars. I bought same one half year ago to experiment with it in my car. Still ongoing project. Will try to post photos soon.

Back