Mobius requests

I think the thing about the iPhone from Apple wasn't so much that it was the first touch screen phone and certainly not the first smart phone but that it was the first device of any kind that had no hardware buttons except the home button. It was a complete touch experience that introduced swiping and pinching gestures. There had not been a product on the market like that before and now every tablet and phone is like that.

Edit: I saw an interview with Steve Jobs one time where he said they had been working on the iPad long before the iPhone. He said there was a kind of moment of epiphany when they realized that , "Hey this would make a great phone!"

Speaking of which, just found the manual while having a cleanup

qu6evasy.jpg

actually they came along about 4 years after action cameras were already selling

this is a good related example as even though these were nowhere near being the first, they did it better and more importantly, marketed it better, so well in fact that people often don't realise that others were out there doing it before them, much like the GoPro situation

Usually it is the person that's next or the one after that who makes the money and who we remember. Not the first innovator.

Yeah, thats Buffett.

He also said, "One ring to rule them all." But he wasn't the first ;)

I think Mobius is missing one thing that GoPro has: Durabilty. I have been reading the RC forums and even Tom Frank has said it wasn't made for tough use.

As I mentioned before, I saw an article on the NY Times that said the footage from the GoPro is more popular than the actual camera. So step 2 for the Mobius domination, would be a lot of incredible footage that makes you want to go out and use one.

So Dashmellow and BobDiaz are right: at the moment we are the cult following and we're growing everyday. Right Rubiconmike, Grimm, b1jackson, schmendrick, Byr0n, speedman and lamboboy732 ?
I agree with russ331 and believe the Mobius is extremely durable. It's been crashed, it's been sunken, it's been abused, and most of the time it's survived! Of course it could be made more robust. One could use military grade components, for example. But that would make it so much more expensive. I think what most people like about the Mobius is it's good price, it's excellent video quality and the fantastic firmware. The casing feels 'solid' and it's discrete and there are no impractical round edges. It's not slippery or shiny and doesn't feel like cheap plastic. It's also been very well thought out, especially considering it's an original and hasn't been copied from other products.
Unlike all the other products mentioned in the last 10-or-so posts the Mobius doesn't owe it's popularity to marketing. The Mobius had ZERO marketing! How is it possible that the Mobius has become so popular? The developer doesn't even have a website! Would a good marketing plan have helped? Lots of unanswered questions.....
The developer has pursued a hobby and turned his hobby into a profitable business. He silenty listened and noted people's ideas from the R/C thread so had a good base on which to start building the Mobius. I believe his devotion and perfection is the key to the success. He also has many, many more exciting plans, but most likely he'll never have the time to implement them all, unfortunately.
Yes, I admire the developer and am very thankful for both the #16 (which I still love!) and the Mobius :)

The Mobius is well made and solidly built. I've been wondering where the notion came about that it's delicate in some way. As for the GoPro, there are indeed many accounts of it enduring all kinds of shocks and mishaps and surviving but I think what some have failed to note is that in almost every instance when these events occurred, the GoPro was in the protective waterproof housing it is shipped with while the Mobius has proved rather robust without one. Equating the bare Mobius, as strong and durable as it's case design may be to a GoPro inside a shockproof, waterproof case is a classic apples to oranges comparison.

Last edited:
I agree with russ331 and believe the Mobius is extremely durable. It's been crashed, it's been sunken, it's been abused, and most of the time it's survived! Of course it could be made more robust. One could use military grade components, for example. But that would make it so much more expensive. I think what most people like about the Mobius is it's good price, it's excellent video quality and the fantastic firmware. The casing feels 'solid' and it's discrete and there are no impractical round edges. It's not slippery or shiny and doesn't feel like cheap plastic. It's also been very well thought out, especially considering it's an original and hasn't been copied from other products.
Unlike all the other products mentioned in the last 10-or-so posts the Mobius doesn't owe it's popularity to marketing. The Mobius had ZERO marketing! How is it possible that the Mobius has become so popular? The developer doesn't even have a website! Would a good marketing plan have helped? Lots of unanswered questions.....
The developer has pursued a hobby and turned his hobby into a profitable business. He silenty listened and noted people's ideas from the R/C thread so had a good base on which to start building the Mobius. I believe his devotion and perfection is the key to the success. He also has many, many more exciting plans, but most likely he'll never have the time to implement them all, unfortunately.
Yes, I admire the developer and am very thankful for both the #16 (which I still love!) and the Mobius :)

You know Isoprop, I remember reading Tom Frank saying the Mobius wasn't made to be dropped and I believe the board wasn't protected and would break. Unfortunately I couldn't find it. With a 500 page thread, trying to find one quote is quite an endeavor. In trying to find his post, I read yours about vibration damaging the ribbon cable and others pointing to the ribbon cable being a weak point. Either way, I have kept that notion and treated it a bit more delicate than say a GoPro. On the other hand have read the stories of hard crashes and immersion without damage.

I plan to use it like an action cam as well as a dash cam, since it's so small and perfect for that. I just don't want to push it to the breaking point. Now reading you say it's durable, I will relax a little.

There is no doubt the Mobius is a great camera and will have a great future. I'm excited to see what's ahead. I truly enjoy mine and plan to buy another. I don't think I'm alone in thinking people would pay more for a Mobius with higher specs. Not a replacement, just another model.

You know Isoprop, I remember reading Tom Frank saying the Mobius wasn't made to be dropped and I believe the board wasn't protected and would break. Unfortunately I couldn't find it. With a 500 page thread, trying to find one quote is quite an endeavor. In trying to find his post, I read yours about vibration damaging the ribbon cable and others pointing to the ribbon cable being a weak point. Either way, I have kept that notion and treated it a bit more delicate than say a GoPro. On the other hand have read the stories of hard crashes and immersion without damage.

I plan to use it like an action cam as well as a dash cam, since it's so small and perfect for that. I just don't want to push it to the breaking point. Now reading you say it's durable, I will relax a little.

There is no doubt the Mobius is a great camera and will have a great future. I'm excited to see what's ahead. I truly enjoy mine and plan to buy another. I don't think I'm alone in thinking people would pay more for a Mobius with higher specs. Not a replacement, just another model.
The lens module will always be the weakest point. It has mass. The ribbon cable is fragile, as you know, but it's considerably thicker than the first batch and I haven't heard of (m)any people having problems with a broken cable. The ribbon connector is another weak point like any connector. Strong vibrations can make the cable come lose. If the lens module were permanently attached to the board and the cable soldered, the camera would be more robust but no longer flexible. No swapping the lens module, no extension cables, not very convenient. The mini USB connector is good and strong but is not designed for as many insertions as the micro USB - but it's certainly more robust. However you look at it, there will always be advantages and disadvantages, as in any product.
The Mobius also uses very few hardware parts so there isn't much that can get broken. The case is a simple design consisting of two halves plus one button piece, one heatsink, and two screws. This makes it extremely user friendly requiring only a few seconds to open the case, change the battery and close it again. Swapping the lens will take a little longer because of the limited space and the added caution needed. I wouldn't want to do this too often. Tightening the screws could be a problem for the inexperienced. Since the screws are so tiny they can easily be overtightened which would result in a badly secured case. To date I have not had any problems with overtightened screws, but I admit that I haven't taken a single camera apart more than about 10-15 times.
The B lens is another story. Drop the camera with the lens facing downwards and you'll most likely need a replacement module.
I think I mentioned earlier that we tested the prototypes with a dangling lens module because at the time the case wasn't finished. This ribbon cable was too weak and both Tom and I had problems. All the same, my cable lasted quite a few weeks. Today's ribbon cable is much stronger and the lens module is fixed in place. There have been a lot less reported lens module problems with the Mobius than with the #16 so I tend to believe any reported problems with the Mobius lens modules are isolated cases. All the same, I would be cautious in handling the module and cable.

I've not read this thread, but has anyone mentioned the possibility of a polarising filter to stick on the lens?

I've got a filter that's roughly the right size, but causes shadows around the edge as it sits to far away from the lens on the current case

I've not read this thread, but has anyone mentioned the possibility of a polarising filter to stick on the lens?

I've got a filter that's roughly the right size, but causes shadows around the edge as it sits to far away from the lens on the current case

Yes. Many times. Search the site as well since it gets mentioned in almost every dash cam forum. Some buy them, some make them out of 3d glasses, some learn to live with the reflections. I'm living with the reflections and odd lens flares since I am using the mobius as a dash cam and have many other cameras to make photographs and movies with.

Is it shadows or vignetting?

Remember you will have to take off your polarized filter for night time driving.

Yes. Many times. Search the site as well since it gets mentioned in almost every dash cam forum. Some buy them, some make them out of 3d glasses, some learn to live with the reflections. I'm living with the reflections and odd lens flares since I am using the mobius as a dash cam and have many other cameras to make photographs and movies with.

Is it shadows or vignetting?

Remember you will have to take off your polarized filter for night time driving.

Hi, thanks.

It was a B&W Polarising filter (designed for smartphones). It's easily removable, because the way you install it is by putting an adhesive ring that is magnetic, around the lens. You then stick the metal filter to the magnetic ring. It's also very easy to pull off.

It's definitely shadows. I'm using the standard lens/camera, so because the way the case is designed, the lens sits slightly inside the case. This causes the filter to be slightly too far away from the lens, sort of like trying to look through glasses that are slightly away from your face, you can see the outer edges of the filter, and they block the edges of the image. (You can see what I mean in this YouTube video)

I have got a spare case lying around, so I might try drilling a larger hole in the case (if I can find a wide enough drill bit) and then place the magnetic ring around the edges of the lens, as opposed to on the case)

I believe changing the frame rate to PAL will be addressed in a future firmware. Until then you will have to use a video editor and re-encode (frame blending etc).

G'day:)
I did a search regarding the B&W polarising filter for the B lens but came up negative.
Is there such a filter for the B lens if any?
I'm finding that there's a lot of screen glare/reflection using the Mobius in my car.

Back