Mobius requests

Yes, I have an iPad Mini with the new Lightning Adapter. A Chinese aftermarket USB to Lightening adapter I bought wouldn't even work for any USB connections. Apple seems to be forcing people to use their proprietary adapters on a hardware level. Perhaps the older generic Apple 30-pin to USB adapters will work to allow import directly from a USB card by not having a 100HDDVR folder but everything I've read about this leads me to believe that you need the proprietary 30-pin Apple iPad Camera Connection Kit. In any event, with these Apple connectors the 100HDDVR folder is not an impediment to importing .MOV files directly from a Mobius card to the iPad.

Last edited:
Looks like I'll have to $pla$h out on the genuine Apple (made in China) product. :mad:
Thanks for the info.

Looks like I'll have to $pla$h out on the genuine Apple (made in China) product. :mad:
Thanks for the info.

I'm curious to know if you've had any luck with the gadget you bought. What happens if you create a DCIM folder full of .MOV files and eliminate the 100HDDVR folder? Obviously you couldn't do that out on the road to view files but if it works, the adapter could be useful for transporting files you want to view on the iPad that would take up too much storage on the iPad otherwise.

Yeah, as much as I love my iPad I resent that Apple forces people to buy their overpriced adapters. They do offer some actual logical explanations for this philosophy and file import restrictions such as security but they charge way too much for these things to feel OK about this or believe them.

The adapter works fine if the JPG's and MOV files are directly inside the DCIM folder but the video files take ages to import. That could be the speed at which the iPad reads data from the card. The strange thing is that when connected, the iPad displays blank icons (a grey rectangle with 'MOV' superimposed on it) for any video files that are in DCIM\100HDDVR but they are not accessible.

I just had a brainwave but I'll need to prove to myself that it works OK. My car has a roof mounted DVD screen, the player is built into the dash mounted radio/CD and has audio and video inputs. So in theory, I can use the AV/Out cable from the camera to review footage directly onto the DVD unit. :)

The adapter works fine if the JPG's and MOV files are directly inside the DCIM folder but the video files take ages to import. That could be the speed at which the iPad reads data from the card. The strange thing is that when connected, the iPad displays blank icons (a grey rectangle with 'MOV' superimposed on it) for any video files that are in DCIM\100HDDVR but they are not accessible.

Sounds like you may indeed have to buy an Apple Camera Connection Kit if you want to be able to import video to the iPad while out and about. I like the idea of being able to view (or edit) video from the Mobius and show it to someone (like a police officer) on the iPad. The roof mounted screen sounds interesting too. Hope it works!

If the roof mounted screen works then I won't need to buy the Apple adapter. I'll probably test my theory tomorrow and post the results.

I would like to see the .MOV files written straight to the DCIM folder instead of to DCIM\100HDDVR. This would give anybody with an iPad the ability to review recorded footage at the roadside, assuming that they have their iPad with them.
Using an adapter, the iPad will import jpg's and .MOV files using a USB cable or directly from a TF/SD card but only if they are in the DCIM folder.
I'm afraid this is not possible. The sub folders are required for when there are a lot of clips and the numbering scheme 'overflows'. When this happens a new 101, 102, 103 etc. folder is created. The FAT32 file system limits the number of files per folder so putting all the files in one folder is not a possibility.

I'm afraid this is not possible. The sub folders are required for when there are a lot of clips and the numbering scheme 'overflows'. When this happens a new 101, 102, 103 etc. folder is created. The FAT32 file system limits the number of files per folder so putting all the files in one folder is not a possibility.

Thanks, I'd forgotten about the FAT32 file limitation.

If the roof mounted screen works then I won't need to buy the Apple adapter. I'll probably test my theory tomorrow and post the results.

It works. I can review recorded clips off my Mobius through the in-car DVD player.

I wish the Mobius had a native mode of the chip recording of 2304 × 1536 pixels. Even if the recording was limited to 15P (15 frames per second), the extra resolution might be able to pull out some extra detail. The 1920x1080 resolution is good, but being able to record one step higher would be a great feature to have.

I wish the Mobius had a native mode of the chip recording of 2304 × 1536 pixels. Even if the recording was limited to 15P (15 frames per second), the extra resolution might be able to pull out some extra detail. The 1920x1080 resolution is good, but being able to record one step higher would be a great feature to have.
Unfortunately, the DSP/sensor doesn't have anywhere near the power to do that. At best you can expect photos at @4fps, but even those won't always be satisfactory.

Pity, I'd say that even 8 FPS would give some idea what's happening. I am a bit surprised because 1920 x 1080 = 2,073,600 pixels and 2304 × 1536 = 3,538,944 pixels or about 1.7 times the number of pixels. If the DSP can deal with 2MP at 30 FPS, why can it deal with 3.5MP at 10FPS or 15 FPS ???

Pity, I'd say that even 8 FPS would give some idea what's happening. I am a bit surprised because 1920 x 1080 = 2,073,600 pixels and 2304 × 1536 = 3,538,944 pixels or about 1.7 times the number of pixels. If the DSP can deal with 2MP at 30 FPS, why can it deal with 3.5MP at 10FPS or 15 FPS ???
I can't give you a definite answer and can only assume that the DSP code is optimized for streaming video at 1080p max. Whereas it's possible to write most code in firmware, thus overriding the DSP code, it would require enormous resources which the developer just doesn't have. He has already written his own code allowing time-lapse photos with under 2 seconds, but streaming video is something completely different. I'm sure if the DSP would support the functionality in their code library the Mobius developer would be the first person to jump at the possibility of integrating it into his firmware.

I know this is an old thread and I have read all 14 pages.
I wish there was an easier way to remove the Micro SD card from the camera. I don't have long fingernails and have to make several attempts to get the card to pop out.

Sometimes, the card will pop out but not enough of the card extends to grab hold of it for extraction.
It would be nice if the card slot was wider at the top and bottom for more access to push the card in so it will spring out.

How do you folks remove the Micro SD card? Or better question: Do you all have long fingernails? :)

I wish there was an easier way to remove the Micro SD card from the camera. I don't have long fingernails and have to make several attempts to get the card to pop out.

Sometimes, the card will pop out but not enough of the card extends to grab hold of it for extraction.
It would be nice if the card slot was wider at the top and bottom for more access to push the card in so it will spring out.

How do you folks remove the Micro SD card? Or better question: Do you all have long fingernails? :)

I always keep a ball point pen in my vehicle and with the ink cartridge in the retracted position the narrow flat front "point" of the pen makes a perfect tool for this job.

I have tried a ball point pen but it's nose is too large even though the pen is a fine point.
I have resorted to using a large paper clip at the moment.

Thanks for your reply!

Last edited:
I have tried a ball point pen but it's nose it too large even though the pen is a fine point.
I have resorted to using a large paper clip at the moment.

Thanks for your reply!

A paper clip sounds good. I'm sure there are many common items that can work for this purpose.

There is a picture somewhere in the forums, a user put some epoxy glue (I think) on the edge of his cards, this way extending their length a little bit. He said it's much easier to extract them, I don't know how reliable/druable the sollution was.

I guess I have long fingernails, as that's all I use. Although they aren't particularly long.

The left hand corner of the card sticks out slightly further than the right and I don't have any difficulties ejecting it.

Last edited:
Back