Mobius Super Capacitor.

.....With Capacitor based dash cameras there are almost no worries with overheating issue....

I would be interested to see some testing done (similar to what Bob has been doing) to verify the temperature difference between a battery equipped and capacitor equipped Mobius. Personally, I don't think there will be much difference - but would be happy to be proven wrong.... and immediately convert all of mine to capacitors! ;)

I would be interested to see some testing done (similar to what Bob has been doing) to verify the temperature difference between a battery equipped and capacitor equipped Mobius. Personally, I don't think there will be much difference - but would be happy to be proven wrong.... and immediately convert all of mine to capacitors! ;)
I believe the argument is that capacitors can tolerate higher operating temperatures with a much lower risk of failure -- not whether or not the cam will operate at a lower temp (but I think caps will emit less heat than a battery)

Great news.
Can you tell what F is written on the super-caps and what is size of individual capacitor ( diameter and length ).
THanks.

Hi Niko,

This is what it says on them:

Hy-Cap:
2.7V-5F.

I have no idea what this means just that this is what the Mobius team recommend and sold to me.

Cheers and Happy New Year!

JooVuu

I can't think that capacitors would make an real difference in the temperature measurements. The majority of heat comes from the High Speed data processing.

Good news! I messaged eletoponline365 (manufacturer of mobius camera on eBay) and they do have the capacitor available for purchase @ $9.90USD (free shipping, I presume).

thanks for that, don't know where they found this size, very unusual for this rating

No problem. As I said, I know very little about super capacitors. I only stock this one because the Mobius team recommend it and sold it. I can do a test with it later and see how it works etc.

Cheers,

Last edited:
I can't think that capacitors would make an real difference in the temperature measurements. The majority of heat comes from the High Speed data processing.
Yes, that was my thought. Earlier posts might have given people the wrong impression - if they buy them for heat reduction they could be disappointed.

Capacitor is good for those who want to leave Mobius in car for longer period ( constantly ?) motion detection. Using Mobius wiht built in battery is no good for long period ( overnight ), or at hot summer time. Battery life is short. Capacitor vs battery is much more reliable in this case.

Capacitor is good for those who want to leave Mobius in car for longer period ( constantly ?) motion detection. Using Mobius wiht built in battery is no good for long period ( overnight ), or at hot summer time. Battery life is short. Capacitor vs battery is much more reliable in this case.
In addition, some supposedly heat-destroyed cameras were destroyed because of the battery overheating, not the DSP! The LiPos and other components can easily overheat if there is insufficient external power resulting from under-rated or low-quality chargers. I don't know how the charger IC will react with a supercap in a similar situation, but I can imagine it won't be nearly so extreeme. As you posted, capacitors are less susceptible to heat problems than batteries.
All the same, I don't think users should expect heat problems to disappear if they use supercaps in place of batteries. Extreme heat will always be a problem for these types of compact cameras, but using supercaps will add a bit of extra protection.

BTW, I have still not completed my tests regarding the RTC (Real Time Clock), but a period of max. 10 days in which the supercaps will keep the RTC running seems to be a good average.

In addition, some supposedly heat-destroyed cameras were destroyed because of the battery overheating, not the DSP!

I would say this would be absolutely correct, the battery is by far the biggest issue in an automotive environment, if the processor got too hot the camera would just stop, and 99.9% odds it would be business as usual once it cooled back down, it would never have a melt down, the battery on the other hand ....

BTW, I have still not completed my tests regarding the RTC (Real Time Clock), but a period of max. 10 days in which the supercaps will keep the RTC running seems to be a good average.

way more than needed for the average motorist I'm sure

Hi everybody and a Happy New Year!

I am new on this "ground". I have a mobius from few days and is allot of new information that i have to assimilate in short time about this great camera.
I need just one confirmation. This super capacitors keep the camera RTC when is off. This solution is working only for mobius as dashcam with start recording when external power is connecting. You cannot use the super capacitor as replacement for battery if you want to use mobius in other ways than dashcam. This is correct?

Thanks!

Hi everybody and a Happy New Year!

I am new on this "ground". I have a mobius from few days and is allot of new information that i have to assimilate in short time about this great camera.
I need just one confirmation. This super capacitors keep the camera RTC when is off. This solution is working only for mobius as dashcam with start recording when external power is connecting. You cannot use the super capacitor as replacement for battery if you want to use mobius in other ways than dashcam. This is correct?

Thanks!
That is correct. The supercaps do not have enough energy to power the Mobius, they can only keep the internal clock (RTC) running without external power for about ten days.
When you apply external power the Mobius starts to record and charges the supercaps. When you remove external power the camera will immediately stop recording.
You have to setup the Mobius to do this in mSetup or Therau2000's Android app.
If you want to use the Mobius for other purposes you have to replace the supercaps with the battery and then run the GUI (or APP) to re-synchronize the RTC.

they can only keep the internal clock (RTC) running without external power for about ten days.

This is with Mobius supplied supercaps ( 5.4v 5F, where 2pcs makes 2.5F ), right ?
I am yet to test in some stage when have more time how long is standby last on 10F supercaps I bought.

...if the processor got too hot the camera would just stop, and 99.9% odds it would be business as usual once it cooled back down, it would never have a melt down, the battery on the other hand ....

Has the processor got thermal protection built into it? (ie. it shuts itself down when overheated?) If it hasn't then I wouldn't like it's chances of working again simply from cooling down.

I believe they do

That confuses me then. We've got a couple of threads investigating heatsinks/ case temperatures and numerous posts (mostly rumours, but some definite failures) about them dying (forever) in the heat. I've never read anything before about any inbuilt thermal protection?

Isoprop? Can you shed some light?

If it's the batteries - are they over heating and taking out the Mobius circuit board in some way (eg. charging circuit?) Otherwise, put a new battery in and it's fixed...

Last edited:
Reactions: Jim
Back
Top Bottom