Mobius support thread and Tech Guide (post all problems/help requests here) Read posts #1-8 first

It's well known to my knowledge that the mini usb connector wears over time and a wire disconnects inside that then leaves the camera undetectable except via a hub. It's the result of repeated disconnection / connection of the usb cable.

https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/mobius-is-not-recognized.3991/

I had the issue on mine before it finally went to it's graveyard.

You are pointing to a rarely reported issue and linking to a thread from all the way back in 2014! A number of members posting to that thread happen to state that they have never encountered that issue. While there have indeed been intermittent reports of mini-B port issues with the Mobius (and virtually all dash cams for that matter), calling it a "well known" issue is an exaggeration and implies that it is far more pervasive and widespread than it really is. For some peculiar reason you often attempt to put a negative spin on the Mobius camera. Whenever I see a post from you concerning the Mobius I know what to expect. As I recall, every single problem you've ever reported with your Mobius including its demise was self-inflicted.

The fact of the matter is that virtually all issues people report concerning not being able to get their computer to recognize the Mobius camera are externally caused either because of a cable issue or a computer issue. Only very rarely is it a camera hardware issue.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone who responded so far!

Phil and Dashmellow, I went in and unchecked ALL automatic updates which got rid of the "download URL" popup, but didn't fix anything. I did swap cards and unfortunately, that didn't do anything though the micro SD latch seems to have crapped out. I'm going to open it up tomorrow. The Sandisk I swapped for the Transcend didn't allow the software to recognize the camera either.

c4rc4m, interesting about using a USB hub since the popup warned me not to use a USB hub. If the port on the camera fails, I don't understand how you hook it up ;)

I know those micro SD slots are fragile (messed one up on a tablet) so I'll see what it looks like when I open it up.

Thanks everyone who responded so far!

Phil and Dashmellow, I went in and unchecked ALL automatic updates which got rid of the "download URL" popup, but didn't fix anything. I did swap cards and unfortunately, that didn't do anything though the micro SD latch seems to have crapped out. I'm going to open it up tomorrow. The Sandisk I swapped for the Transcend didn't allow the software to recognize the camera either.

c4rc4m, interesting about using a USB hub since the popup warned me not to use a USB hub. If the port on the camera fails, I don't understand how you hook it up ;)

I know those micro SD slots are fragile (messed one up on a tablet) so I'll see what it looks like when I open it up.

It's also possible that the PC USB drivers are not working properly. Try connecting the camera before turning on your computer. See if the camera is recognized as a removable disk once the computer boots up.

The Mobius Manual suggests that DriveCleanup.exe (freeware) may also be able to fix a USB corruption problem.

Also, according to the manual: "The camera must be connected using a standard USB cable. Confirm that the cable is not defective by attaching another USB device using the same cable. Do not use a USB hub. Try using another USB port. Defective cables are the most common problems when the camera is not correctly recognized by the PC".

You are pointing to a rarely reported issue and linking to a thread from all the way back in 2014! A number of members posting to that thread happen to state that they have never encountered that issue. While there have indeed been intermittent reports of mini-B port issues with the Mobius (and virtually all dash cams for that matter), calling it a "well known" issue is an exaggeration and implies that it is far more pervasive and widespread than it really is. For some peculiar reason you often attempt to put a negative spin on the Mobius camera. Whenever I see a post from you concerning the Mobius I know what to expect. As I recall, every single problem you've ever reported with your Mobius including its demise was self-inflicted.

The fact of the matter is that virtually all issues people report concerning not being able to get their computer to recognize the Mobius camera are externally caused either because of a cable issue or a computer issue. Only very rarely is it a camera hardware issue.

I do not put a negative spin on the Mobius as you put it. In fact my Mobius 1 was the best dash camera I've had all things considered. If suggesting they use higher quality lenses is rubbishing the camera, then I've rubbished every dashcam on the market as I don't think any of them are good enough. Same for any other suggestions I've made. Also the Mobius 1 had a good picture but it's certainly not the best, at least these days.

I do think their support leaves a lot to be desired though. I post in here about an issue and despite them being in this thread, it gets completely ignored. Even if the support reply was to say your we are unable to help as your camera is unfortunately out of warranty, it would at least be a polite reply. To simply ignore customers is not good customer service.

As for it not being a known issue, maybe you should do some research.

There are posts about Mobius 1 mini USB failure over on the RC forums, including a 56 posts on the subject by 2014 alone, in a 1372 page general support thread:

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?2203755-Mobius-USB-Not-Recognized

https://www.reddit.com/r/Multicopte...ius_camera_problem_usb_device_not_recognized/

So it's known over here and it's known over there on possibly the largest Mobius 1 support thread on the internet, so I'd say it's well known (yes I am aware this is a breakaway forum of the RC forums).

It's also not unique to the Mobius. I believe other small format camera brands have also had wear issues with USB B type ports where the camera is constantly disconnected.

As for the USB Hub, it works. I presume they recommend against it as they are worried the pc might not be able to see your camera if connected via a hub. However, when the Mobius software stopped seeing mine, after reading one of these threads on USB failure, I bought a hub and started connecting mine via the hub as I'd read it as recommended in the thread - from memory I believe a particular pin connection is prone to failure and whilst it doesn't stop the camera working, it does stop the pc from seeing it. After connecting via a USB hub, the Mobius software saw the camera perfectly and mine was connected this way for around a year before I finally killed it by dropping it on the lens.

If the OP is worried about connecting via a Hub, then contact Mobius support (if you can get an answer!), and see if they have any hardware concerns about using a hub. However, mine connected well via a USB hub and was fully functional when connected, something it wasn't if connected direct via usb cable (irrespective of the cable used). Beyond that I can't comment other than to say Hub use is at your own risk, but it worked well for me and I used several different hubs.

It is a relatively uncommon issue but computer-related things can "break" in unusual ways. IMHO all USB connectors are a poor design as are many of what has become the standard for connectors in computers and related devices. This came about because the smart folks designing these things weren't as knowledgeable about connectors in real world conditions as they should have been :( Removable connections need to be the most robust part of any device design which uses them and what we've got is just plain wimpy instead :mad: This is the real world where things don't get 'babied'; instead they get 'beaten' :eek: But now we're pretty much stuck with these crappy connectors and if you know what's good for you then you will 'baby' them.

Mobius has always been different, and their approach to support follows suit. They chose peer support instead of factory support as the primary means of resolving problems and they made sure there was a place for this to happen (RC forums). It has advantages in bringing minds and perspectives together but it can also be viewed as them not directly addressing problems. They do have factory support and it works; otherwise we'd have never seen the extensive development this cam has had :) And same as all other cams warranty issues are handled by the seller, not the factory, so if you've had problems there don't blame the factory- blame the seller.

In problem resolving one should try every reasonable approach until the problem's source can be located and addressed more directly. If you've got a non-functioning cam and you've got a USB hub I've seen no evidence that going through the hub will make matters worse or harm the cam so I'd suggest trying it ;) If it succeeds then you know where the root of the problem is which will allow you to make a better decision on what your next step will be (repair or replace the socket/board/cam).

Mobius is one of the most robust trouble-free cams there is but here in the real world things sometimes go wrong even with the best stuff. I hope you can find an easy fix!

Phil

I do not put a negative spin on the Mobius as you put it. In fact my Mobius 1 was the best dash camera I've had all things considered. If suggesting they use higher quality lenses is rubbishing the camera, then I've rubbished every dashcam on the market as I don't think any of them are good enough. Same for any other suggestions I've made. Also the Mobius 1 had a good picture but it's certainly not the best, at least these days.

I do think their support leaves a lot to be desired though. I post in here about an issue and despite them being in this thread, it gets completely ignored. Even if the support reply was to say your we are unable to help as your camera is unfortunately out of warranty, it would at least be a polite reply. To simply ignore customers is not good customer service.

As for it not being a known issue, maybe you should do some research.

There are posts about Mobius 1 mini USB failure over on the RC forums, including a 56 posts on the subject by 2014 alone, in a 1372 page general support thread:

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?2203755-Mobius-USB-Not-Recognized

https://www.reddit.com/r/Multicopte...ius_camera_problem_usb_device_not_recognized/

So it's known over here and it's known over there on possibly the largest Mobius 1 support thread on the internet, so I'd say it's well known (yes I am aware this is a breakaway forum of the RC forums).

It's also not unique to the Mobius. I believe other small format camera brands have also had wear issues with USB B type ports where the camera is constantly disconnected.

As for the USB Hub, it works. I presume they recommend against it as they are worried the pc might not be able to see your camera if connected via a hub. However, when the Mobius software stopped seeing mine, after reading one of these threads on USB failure, I bought a hub and started connecting mine via the hub as I'd read it as recommended in the thread - from memory I believe a particular pin connection is prone to failure and whilst it doesn't stop the camera working, it does stop the pc from seeing it. After connecting via a USB hub, the Mobius software saw the camera perfectly and mine was connected this way for around a year before I finally killed it by dropping it on the lens.

If the OP is worried about connecting via a Hub, then contact Mobius support (if you can get an answer!), and see if they have any hardware concerns about using a hub. However, mine connected well via a USB hub and was fully functional when connected, something it wasn't if connected direct via usb cable (irrespective of the cable used). Beyond that I can't comment other than to say Hub use is at your own risk, but it worked well for me and I used several different hubs.

Each and every one of the three links you present are from two years ago and in the Reddit posts the guys are talking a separate issue where the connectivity problem is ancillary. In not one instance when someone plugs an otherwise working camera into a computer has the issue ever been definitively traced to a specific flaw with the camera itself. In virtually every instance where a user can't connect to their computer the problem revolves around the computer, the drivers, the ports, the cable or plugs. Due to the time frame from two years ago, there is some "circumstantial" evidence that any reported connection problems may have been related to a particular version of mSetup, perhaps combined with a particular firmware version but we have no practical way to go back and confirm that.

One way or another you appear to be conflating a small flurry of reports from two years ago that was and continues to be rather rare in the scheme of things into a notion that this is a some sort of chronic, widespread flaw with the Mobius camera. Even though reports of issues connecting a Mobius to one's computer continue to filter in here and there they are indeed uncommon and are usually resolved after some minimal troubleshooting unless the camera turns out to have experienced a failed component on the PCB.

Personally, I have had extensive hands on experience with at least 9 Mobius cameras that I've owned and many more belonging to students/workshop participants I work with and we have not seen any problems connecting the Mobius to a computer, even once.

One way or another, you have never posted about the Mobius camera without some sort of complaint, criticism or negative commentary. I even recall how you once made the false claim that Mobius uses cheap, undercoated lenses in their cameras when in fact they go out of their way to source very high quality multi-coated optics that exceed the optical performance of many other cams on the market, especially considering that we are talking about a 70 dollar device. And ever after more than three years on the market Mobius has recently introduced even higher quality, better corrected lenses.

As for Mobius not offering "customer support", virtually everyone who has ever purchased a Mobius is well aware that the platform is primarily supported by a community of knowledgeable enthusiasts. For better or worse Mobius is a highly unique "boutique" developer/manufacturer who doesn't even have a basic web site and their products have always been delivered in the most minimal of packaging with an online PDF owners manual published by one of their operatives. One of the effects of the approach Mobius takes, however you may feel about it, is that it allows them to offer their cameras at far lower prices than they might otherwise be selling for. Everyone here knows what they are signing up for.

All in all I think you just enjoy engaging in endless, verbose whining and complaining.

Last edited:
In problem resolving one should try every reasonable approach until the problem's source can be located and addressed more directly. If you've got a non-functioning cam and you've got a USB hub I've seen no evidence that going through the hub will make matters worse or harm the cam so I'd suggest trying it ;) If it succeeds then you know where the root of the problem is which will allow you to make a better decision on what your next step will be (repair or replace the socket/board/cam).

Phil

+1 Phil. A reasoned approach.

I'm afraid I don't understand what you mean by "despite them being in this thread"? Who is "them"? Fact is that no one from the Mobius Team participates in the Dashcam forums or the RC forums. They do, however, monitor these forums which is most probably the main reason why the Mobius cameras are so unique.
Most posts in the Mobius forums are made by private individuals in their free time who try and help others.

I'm afraid I don't understand what you mean by "despite them being in this thread"? Who is "them"? Fact is that no one from the Mobius Team participates in the Dashcam forums or the RC forums. They do, however, monitor these forums which is most probably the main reason why the Mobius cameras are so unique.
Most posts in the Mobius forums are made by private individuals in their free time who try and help others.
You have always been very helpful to me @Isoprop

If they monitor the forums it would be good customer service to jump in and deal with any warranty style issues.

As for fellow members helping out, always welcome and kudos to you Isoprop for doing so. :)

Personally, I have had extensive hands on experience with at least 9 Mobius cameras that I've owned.

You've had 9 out of how many thousand sold? So obviously there can't have been any issues with anyone else's. Plus 9 in 4 years, doesn't seem to convey a trouble free experience.

Personally, I don't regard the Mobius 1 as a bad camera, far from it, I rate it for what it costs, but there have been other reports of USB issues. It's still been one of my favourite cameras, USB port issue aside, although I think there are other choices now that are superior to the Mobius 1, eg the Runcam 2 to mention just one.

One way or another, you have never posted about the Mobius camera without some sort of complaint, criticism or negative commentary. I even recall how you once made the false claim that Mobius uses cheap, undercoated lenses in their cameras when in fact they go out of their way to source very high quality multi-coated optics that exceed the optical performance of many other cams on the market, especially considering that we are talking about a 70 dollar device. And ever after more than three years on the market Mobius has recently introduced even higher quality, better corrected lenses.

Your opinion of a high quality lens and mine are different. I consider an ultra high resolution, zero distortion lens that's aplanatic, achromatic and capable of near broadcast / broadcast quality to be high quality. That's probably not found on any dashcam at present. I'd be interested to see a dashcam lens, even one of the higher quality ones undergo a full series of professional lens tests for resolution and distortion and aplanatic qualities. If it comes out at resolving 16-18mp worth of detail with near zero distortion across the whole face of the lens right to the edge, then for sure, I'll stop encouraging manufacturers to fit what I perceive as higher quality lenses. The Mobius lenses are at least glass unlike the plastic some manufacturers use and do look decent quality by comparison therefore, although I 'm sure they could be better, albeit maybe not at the $70 price ticket.

What you perceive as moaning, I perceive as encouragement. You are however correct in one aspect, you're probably not going to see a $100 lens (less obviously at trade), fitted to a camera that retails for $70 and I accept that. I also accept that Mobius have one of the better lenses on the market. I would just like to see more in an enthusiast camera, even if it took a more expensive model available as an option to offer it.

All in all I think you just enjoy engaging in endless, verbose whining and complaining.

I personally find you to be a bit of a fan boi. You're happy to accept whatever's offered to you, rather than using a forum like this to push manufacturers to up their game.

I want to see high end dashcams for reasonable prices (less than £250) that can be used for a range of incar uses such as broadcast footage, home videos, and that can capture crystal clear video of accidents including of number plates. Those cams might not be for everyone, but that's why high end are high end, and usually quality filters down from the high end, as last year's high end becomes this years norm.

Will a 128gb micro sd card work on our Mobius? I currently have a 64gb.

The first page/wiki indicates that "at least 64gb" may be supported, but I just want to make sure that there is real world use of greater than 64gb is supported.

Will a 128gb micro sd card work on our Mobius? I currently have a 64gb.

The first page/wiki indicates that "at least 64gb" may be supported, but I just want to make sure that there is real world use of greater than 64gb is supported.

heaps of people using 128gb cards with these, go with a brand name class 10 card for best results, Samsung, Toshiba, Transcend etc

Usually, when the Mobius is recording, it will be blinking red as normal. Other times, it will stay solid red for anywhere from 5-20 seconds (sometimes longer, even). What is going on during this solid red period? Can I disconnect the dashcam during solid red safely if I need to turn the car off, etc (I am using a capacitor, not battery)?

do you have motion detect turned on?

disconnecting anytime is no problem, the camera will shutdown according to the settings you have selected

Usually, when the Mobius is recording, it will be blinking red as normal. Other times, it will stay solid red for anywhere from 5-20 seconds (sometimes longer, even). What is going on during this solid red period? Can I disconnect the dashcam during solid red safely if I need to turn the car off, etc (I am using a capacitor, not battery)?

The only time I ever had a solid RED LED on a Mobius was when I experienced a failed memory card (the infamous SanDisk Ultra...but an old tired one). It is possible that your current SD card has an issue. Troubleshoot the problem by reformatting the card and see if the issue resolves. Also try a new card and see what happens. (not the 128GB for the time being) These steps will help determine if the camera itself has an issue.

The only time I ever had a solid RED LED on a Mobius was when I experienced a failed memory card (the infamous SanDisk Ultra...but an old tired one). It is possible that your current SD card has an issue. Troubleshoot the problem by reformatting the card and see if the issue resolves. Also try a new card and see what happens. (not the 128GB for the time being) These steps will help determine if the camera itself has an issue.
Should still do a check with Msetup. Remember to set "parameter" to finish.

Just confirmed that the parameters are set and finished for immediate off (and no motion detection) via msetup.

the blinking light occurs about 95% of the time and lets me know that everything is working well. Solid red staying for a little bit of time is the other 5%. I thought it was just saying that I've reached the end of the memory card, and it's relooping or something like that. Have no clue.

The current SD card works fine (to my knowledge), but I do have an older 16gb card (larger is a Samsung Evo U1 and the smaller is a Sandisk Ultra U1) that I can test with. I will try tonight when I go out to see if I can recreate the solid red light.

Just checked: even with a different SD card, I still had 90-95% blinking red while recording, and 5-10% solid red.

Back