Mobius support thread and Tech Guide (post all problems/help requests here) Read posts #1-8 first

Thanks for that. Since the only real concern is the physical size of the battery, maybe I'll be the one to experiment. I'll look around for higher capacity batteries with similar dimensions as the stock Mobius battery.

One solution might be to use an external battery to power your Mobius. Some folks here use this method for extended parking mode. One example is the Anker Astro E5 15000 mAh battery. It is about the size of a (fat) smartphone, has two USB ports and can power a Mobius for many hours.

View attachment 4507

Thanks for that link. I've been meaning to buy a backup power bank. If all else fails, I might just go this route.

EDIT:
I guess I'll just go with the power bank option. The best battery I could find is still too large for the mobius case and would need case modifications or a custom case. Thanks everyone for the help.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, so I'm still having issues with my super cap, details here - http://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/mobius-super-capacitor.3166/page-16#post-56918.

Just wondered if this is normal...

Due to the clock change here in UK I thought I would update my Mobius time stamp (in case it started to work) so before taking out car I switched it on for around 2 mins just to see if my last time stamp had saved. Whilst sitting there I noticed (because it was dark) that the main led light (not rear) was flashing yellow then green then yellow then green as if it was charging whilst recording??

To my surprise (not) when I plugged into my laptop the 2 min video didn't save (I have 5 min clips set up)

So again my super cap was completely drained after just two days in my car without use it couldn't even save my file when switched off.

1) This super cap is pi$$ing me off..
2) banggood are not replying to my last email (maybe because it's the weekend)
3) Is the green led normal to come on whilst in car recording?
4) At this rate my battery will be going back in

Ok, so I'm still having issues with my super cap, details here - http://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/mobius-super-capacitor.3166/page-16#post-56918.

Just wondered if this is normal...

Due to the clock change here in UK I thought I would update my Mobius time stamp (in case it started to work) so before taking out car I switched it on for around 2 mins just to see if my last time stamp had saved. Whilst sitting there I noticed (because it was dark) that the main led light (not rear) was flashing yellow then green then yellow then green as if it was charging whilst recording??

To my surprise (not) when I plugged into my laptop the 2 min video didn't save (I have 5 min clips set up)

So again my super cap was completely drained after just two days in my car without use it couldn't even save my file when switched off.

1) This super cap is pi$$ing me off..
2) banggood are not replying to my last email (maybe because it's the weekend)
3) Is the green led normal to come on whilst in car recording?
4) At this rate my battery will be going back in
Green and yellow flashing is what I get when connecting it to my live view app on my phone without an SD card. Could it be your card? Have you tested it recent?

Keep in mind that the Möbius can record and save without a battery or supercap.

Make sure your card is seated correctly. Take it out and put it back in.

Green and yellow flashing is what I get when connecting it to my live view app on my phone without an SD card. Could it be your card? Have you tested it recent?

Keep in mind that the Möbius can record and save without a battery or supercap.

It worked on Fri, I will give it a proper long run test tomorrow on way to/from work

If that is the case I have a new issue :( although when I plugged it into laptop to view webcam mode it didn't work until I took the card out so it must recognise it?

This still does not explain the time stamp loss either?

Not having a good time at the moment with the Mobius!!

Hopefully Banggood will sort out your super cap and your issues will be resolved. I would switch back to battery and make sure everything is working as it should then blame it all on the cap.

Does anyone know if the time will sync using the android app? Or does it have to be PC?

Just an update the green light (as well as yellow flashing LED) was on all the way into work this morning? Will review footage (if any) later :confused:

Just an update the green light (as well as yellow flashing LED) was on all the way into work this morning? Will review footage (if any) later :confused:
Having a look at the manual (http://www.mytempfiles.info/mobius/MobiusManual.pdf) and my camera, confirms that blinking yellow is webcam mode. I would reformat the card and start fresh. SD cards are known to glitch at times and it's recommended to format occasionally. While you're at it, I would reload the firmware as well and reset the settings just to get a true fresh start though formatting should be enough.

If your at work or without the GUI, use the in camera formatter

1. In-Camera Formatting

The Camera contains a built-in formatter which may be used to format the SD card. In- Camera formatting is best done using mSetup.exe (see below) but can also be done as follows:
    • Connect the camera to an External USB power supply or to a PC as a Removable disk (see above).

• Press and hold down the Mode button. DO NOT RELEASE the button until after the next steps are completed.

• Disconnect the camera from the power supply or the computer.

• The yellow LED will blink for a few seconds followed by three blinks of the red

LED, after which the camera will turn off. You must wait until you see the red LED

blink three times.

• Release the Mode button.

Last edited:
Having a look at the manual (http://www.mytempfiles.info/mobius/MobiusManual.pdf) and my camera, confirms that blinking yellow is webcam mode. I would reformat the card and start fresh. SD cards are known to glitch at times and it's recommended to format occasionally. While you're at it, I would reload the firmware as well and reset the settings just to get a true fresh start though formatting should be enough.

If your at work or without the GUI, use the in camera formatter

1. In-Camera Formatting

The Camera contains a built-in formatter which may be used to format the SD card. In- Camera formatting is best done using mSetup.exe (see below) but can also be done as follows:
    • Connect the camera to an External USB power supply or to a PC as a Removable disk (see above).

• Press and hold down the Mode button. DO NOT RELEASE the button until after the next steps are completed.

• Disconnect the camera from the power supply or the computer.

• The yellow LED will blink for a few seconds followed by three blinks of the red

LED, after which the camera will turn off. You must wait until you see the red LED

blink three times.

• Release the Mode button.

Thanks GJHS, before i format the card i want to check if the footage this morning has gone onto the card, i can only do this when i get home. If not, i will format and reset the camera and reinstall FW from fresh.. Will update later

Hey guys, I'm having some sort of problems with my Mobius also...
Sometimes, the camera records for 1 sec and then stops without any intervention. For example, I get in the car, mount the camera in place, plug in the cable (3m cable permanent plugged in the cigarette lighter socket), the camera starts recording, everything perfect. I stop the car for a while, the camera stops the recording after 10sec, I leave the camera connected and start to drive. A few minutes later, I notice that the leds are off (i.e red one) which means the camera is off and i have to manual press the power button for the camera to start recording again. I check the SD card and found out that the camera DID record something then, but only for 1 sec, then the recording stopped without any intervention.

Any ideas?
Find attached my syscfg.txt.

I replaced the battery with the capacitator in the w/e and it seems that this problem dissapeared, almost. Because now I have another problem: I get in the car, mount the camera in place, plug in the cable, put the key in the ignition, I don't yet start the engine, just turn the key until the car leds turn on and the radio starts (don't know the term in english) and the camera starts recording perfectly. After a few seconds, I finally start the engine BUT the recording stops for good. The only way to start the recording again is to manually press the power button. :(

When the battery was in place, the recording didn't stop before the engine started.

Any ideas why is this happening?

Turning your ignition halfway then turning it to start cuts power to the mobius for a second making it shutdown (no power=shut down immediately) . I guess on battery you had a longer time to wait between half and full turn. Try just turning over your car without the wait and see if it happens then.

If your powered through a USB connection pulling the connection (not from the mini connection in Mobius--the less pulling on that the better) and plugging back in should restart the mobius as well.

Exactly, unless there is a half turn reason. If so, leave it at half turn until you see the Mobius rear led blink steady 5+ secs and then starting the car won't interrupt the Mobius starting.

Normal full turn of the key has no effect on the Mobius, it's half turn, Mobius starts then seconds later you interrupt the power by fully turning the key to start. So unless it's neccesary just fully turn the key to start.

Unfortunately, I must first turn the key to ACC (i have a diesel car) and then start the engine...I guess I''l just have to plug in the camera after I start the engine completely. :(

Weirdly enough my Mobius kept the time and saved all shot video?

The green night must be normal? Maybe a FW feature?

Unfortunately, I must first turn the key to ACC (i have a diesel car) and then start the engine...I guess I''l just have to plug in the camera after I start the engine completely. :(
Or just wait till you see the rear blinking red light start blinking, it's pretty fast.

Weirdly enough my Mobius kept the time and saved all shot video?

The green night must be normal? Maybe a FW feature?
I would be safe and reformat the card

<snip> Never heard of anyone trying it but it's an interesting idea now that I think about it.

Edit: A little searching and indeed, using a Rasberry Pi as a USB web cam server has been done. There are also many sources about using a Rasberry Pi with an external hard drive as well. Here are the instructions for the cam set-up: How To: Raspberry PI Web Cam Server

It remains to be seen if this could really be adapted as a dash cam but it could make for an interesting DIY project.

Hi Dashmellow,

Thanks for your speedy reply (sorry my delay, 'been away for a bit). As you say that you find it "interesting", perhaps you and the other clever people on here might like to consider it and come-up with a solution. I'm ok with nuts and bolts and touchable things, but a real Luddite with Bits and Bytes. :(

You know you want to ;)

The Anker works fine for me.

@Beemer444

Now I have to look into a Bixler 2!
32gigs will give you...approx 4.6 hours in standard settings @1080p (rounded bitrate high to 16). How many hours do you need?

Hi Grimm,

The Bixler 2 is a radio controlled aircraft designed, amongst other things, to carry video gear and transmission equipment to enable the pilot to see FPV (First Person Video) as though he is flying the plane. I included the reference as I was lead here from "RC Groups" and wanted to remain "On Topic".

" How many hours do you need?

For the most purposes, the card would do. However, for the purposes of a "Tour" (Up to say, 6 hours a day over 2 weeks) I would like to be able to record the whole time the bike is running so that I could return to it when I get back and edit the whole thing down to the best bits.

Last edited:
Hey Beemer,

I use to be an RC guy in my youth and tried some FPV back then although the equipment was much more expensive and the range not so good. Currently thinking of buying a small quad for fun and later FPV perhaps. The Bixler 2 looked pretty cool and an inexpensive way to get back to flying (I use to fly a Heli very badly and my friend and his father flew planes).

Anyway back to topic (phhht)

6 hours a day over 2 weeks...is that just 6 hours total? or more like 24?
Since youll have to stop sometime I would suggest swapping cards or if your carrying a laptop copying over to that and deleting and reusing the card. Swapping cards is easiest but more expensive, I would pre-label them for each day you plan on being on the road so you dont get them mixed up. Thats what I do before I shoot (photography not guns) any event type stuff. Just have a plan and youll be fine.

Back