Mobius support thread and Tech Guide (post all problems/help requests here) Read posts #1-8 first

Thanks jokiin!

I'm guessing it's mostly on the lens side I should improve it. Any tips on something that would reduce the vibrations? Hard casing or a make do silicon casing for the bottom of the lens?

it's only the lens that matters, if its vibrating you'll get this problem, you'll likely find there are particular speeds that make it worse, adding weight to the mount may help also but it might be a bit of trial and error involved in getting it right

Who know what is the stock dash cam for toyota RAV4, I know at least Taiwan's version of RAV4 come with dash cam from toyota, I guess that's a good choice for us to diy.

quick report of an "issue":

I have a Mobius(w/supercap) hardwired 24/7 power in the rear window, motion detect on High.

Today, I noticed the mobius was not powered on when I went to my car around 1pm and did not start recording as I started driving. Mobius was off.

It was around 90 degrees "F" today.... my guess is the mobius shut itself off by itself(thermal cutoff?) or couldn't handle the heat and "broke down".
I was parked with rear/mobius facing a garage door, so, I doubt the camera was recording(less heat/no heat on standby mode) since there would be absolutely no movement. (random cat or bird...maybe)

Instead of messing with it(trying to diagnose it in driveway), I drove with the windows down to cool off the Mobius, hoping that it would cool down enough and power itself on. It did not.

Good news is that after the mobius cooled off a bit, I unplugged and re-plugged the mini USB and it powered up and worked as usual. (this might be a hassle when the real summertime temps hit...I might have to re wire to a source that I can manually switch on and off or re-plug from the drivers seat instead of getting out of car since the mobius is my rear cam)

This is the second time this has happened(2 weeks ago)....I don't recall if it was as hot the first time this happened as it was today.
First time I immediately diagnosed by unplugging the mini USB and re-plugging a couple times. My guess is that if the "issue" is due to heat, by the time I noticed the issue, and unplugged/replugged a couple of times the doors had been open for a few minutes letting the car cool off a little.

I am currently testing my theory if it's the heat by parking in direct sun with the windows closed...I am hoping it's a heat issue vs. something else.

Just reporting some observations. I guess if I had a question, it would be:

Does the Mobius Cam have a thermal cutoff programmed in it's software/hardware? (or did my camera just "die" for the time being)

*the pano S(front cam) was not affected by this issue.

Last edited:
I have a Mobius(w/supercap) hardwired 24/7 power in the rear window, motion detect on High.

Today, I noticed the mobius was not powered on when I went to my car around 1pm and did not start recording as I started driving. Mobius was off.

It was around 90 degrees "F" today....

From the Mobius Manual ...

'never leave the camera turned on where the surrounding temperature exceeds ~47°C (118°F) - for example in a car parked in the baking sun'.

If the outside temperature is 90°, the temperature inside a parked car may exceed 118°.

Last edited:
....Does the Mobius Cam have a thermal cutoff programmed in it's software/hardware? (or did my camera just "die" for the time being)
Not sure they have any type of thermal shutdown, @Isoprop mentioned this somewhere previously I think

I think this was the post jokiin was referring to:-
I would think the compactness would be the major concern. I don't know the dashcams you are referring to, but I imagine they have more space inside the housing.
The Mobius developer has been concerned about excessive heat even before the first prototypes, so there must be a good reason. I am not aware of any failsafe mechanism built into the DSP, but who knows?
I'm sure there were also many dashcams based on the same DSP as used in the #11/#18/#16. My #11s would always quit working at around 32°C - 38°C when recording the whole day without any air circulation. They didn't melt though!

Last edited:
when using as a dashcam - is there a way to lock video file so it's not recycled once the card is full?

Just press the Mode button. It's the one in the middle marked with the letter M...

... and RTFM :)

xxrdr, as horaceCJ mentioned, pressing the M button when your camera is recording, current recording file is marked as locked.
But the mark is on the camera memory, when you pull the card outside, on your PC, that file could be overwritten.

thanks horaceCJ and ciubex
btw, I did skim through the manual right before posting the question;)

ok, so I was totally embraced and had to read the manual again - page 5:
The current clip can be write-protected by pressing the Mode button while recording.

LeftLaneHog said:
It was around 90 degrees "F" today.... my guess is the Mobius shut itself off by itself(thermal cutoff?) or couldn't handle the heat and "broke down".
I have experienced exactly the same. But after I separated the lens from the housing using the 8 inch extension cable, and added a cooling-grill on the heat sinks I haven't had any trouble.
Also the big hole were the lens optic used to be, now function as an intake for fresh air. Besides now my installment is hidden from the outside, and from the drivers and passenger seats.
xxrdr, as horaceCJ mentioned, pressing the M button when your camera is recording, current recording file is marked as locked.
But the mark is on the camera memory, when you pull the card outside, on your PC, that file could be overwritten.
Exactly and it is very annoying that the write-protected files isn't marked with a small icon or something when reading the SD card on a PC. Would it be a possibility to have these files marked in a future firmware update?

Exactly and it is very annoying that the write-protected files isn't arked with a small icon or something when reading the SD card on a PC. Would it be a possibility to have these files marked in a future firmware update?
That has nothing to do with Mobius FW. Use Registrator Viewer to view/unmark very easily the read-only files or, on your PC, set up the file explorer to show also the attributes of the files. Normal files are marked "A" (ready for archiving) and locked files are marked "RA" (read-only and ready for archiving).

That has nothing to do with Mobius FW. Use Registrator Viewer to view/unmark very easily the read-only files or, on your PC, set up the file explorer to show also the attributes of the files. Normal files are marked "A" (ready for archiving) and locked files are marked "RA" (read-only and ready for archiving).
Aahh.. thank you so much, I didn't know that. :)

i have a question:
can i charge (and record) the mobius camera with a car cigarette charger socket, 3m cable that is rated with 5V - 2A ?
the type like in the picture i attached.
MINIUSB.JPG

the camera will take the 1A and that's it? or i need to buy another charger with 1A max?

i have a question:
can i charge (and record) the mobius camera with a car cigarette charger socket, 3m cable that is rated with 5V - 2A ?
the type like in the picture i attached.
View attachment 5165

the camera will take the 1A and that's it? or i need to buy another charger with 1A max?
1A is the minimum not the maximum. Your charger needs to at least output 1A. Higher outputs are fine

128GB card
For those interested, I have been testing the recently released Sandisk 128GB card. The camera will record about 17 hours of 1080p @ 30fps video. Unfortunately there is an issue when the card is full, so loop recording will not work. With normal recording the camera will fail to turn off when the card is full. The issue is most likely related to the SDXC (exFAT) protocol which both the developer and the DSP manufacturer are aware of. I suspect the card will work properly if formatted to FAT32 but I will not be testing this.

Ok I have been home two weeks now and moved the Mobius from my manual transmission car to my automatic transmission car. So far my Mobius has been super unreliable and has failed to start a bunch of times in the last two weeks. Very disconcerting to look and see the camera not recording after driving some distance.

Enhancing the problem is my car is bigger, so the Mobius sits hidden from view behind the rear view mirror. @Isoprop is this problem on the short list of soon to be fixed things? What could i check to fix it? I am going from off straight to start, not waiting at ACC. I am starting to not trust my Mobius, right as I was about to buy another.

Ok I have been home two weeks now and moved the Mobius from my manual transmission car to my automatic transmission car. So far my Mobius has been super unreliable and has failed to start a bunch of times in the last two weeks.

Was it reliable in the other car?

Back