Mobius support thread and Tech Guide (post all problems/help requests here) Read posts #1-8 first

OK a newbie to the Mobius and I am looking for some help. I used to have a DR32 but that died and after reading lots of reviews I decided to plump for the Mobius with its major selling point being that it seems to have evolved with updates and support along the road.

So I got it from Electropoline very quickly, put the Sandisk 32GB microSD class 10 card in it that had worked well with the Dr32 and reformatted it.
I then drove from Glasgow to Edinburgh and when I got home and reviewed, it turns out that the thing stopped recording at a set of traffic lights in Edinburgh and never recorded any of my journey after that or my journey back home, later in the day.

So I reconnected to PC and the GUI and tried playing about with settings - but no matter what I did, the thing just would not come on automatically (it would manually). I then changed the cable and instead of using an all in one cable and aux socket, I tried a Belkin USB aux adaptor with a USB cable.

Last night I took a few local journeys and it seemed to record all the trip although for some reason, although the majority of the clips were 5.00 mins long (my pre defined time) a couple were about 2.30 even though there was no switching off or anything.

Tonight I have just been a journey and on reviewing when I get home, it has recorded a 5.00 clip, then a 2.00 clip which is when I parked up. Then a 0.30 clip as I moved the car in the car park, and then nothing thereafter.

It somehow seems to know when the power has been cut with the ignition switched off but it doesn't seem to register when it comes on?

I am running software version 1.20 - is it worth upgrading to latest firmware (the GUI I am using seems to suggest it has not been updated to deal with the 2.10).

Any help would be appreciated!

It is very annoying not having a screen on it like the DR32 had which means I always need to bring the card or camera back in to plug into laptop to test it. Unless I suppose I take the laptop out to car!
To test the power, first run your camera with the battery and see if it records until the battery turns off with interuption.

I fitted a filter to my mobius

The Mobius, by the developer of the highly successful #16HD "808-style" keychain camera,

What is the name of "the developer" and do they have a website?
I tried searching and could only find reseller websites, but not the actual developer.
I'm just curious if the developer is a single person or a company, what other products they make, when they started, where they are located, etc., you know, the usual stuff you would see on an "About Us" profile page.

On a related note, does the developer post on this forum, and/or are there certain members with connections? @Isoprop ? :-) Any other folks? I suppose some folks already know who's who, but it would be helpful to see a list of "Who's Who in Mobius land".

eletoponline365

Thanks @reverend for your reply. But isn't that just one of the "China eBay sellers"?

The China eBay sellers work directly with the developer and will usually have the lowest delivered prices. The other re-sellers may offer quicker delivery depending on your location.

Direct Sellers:

China: eletoponline365; digitalele889

Re-sellers:

China: Banggood; HobbyKing (Hong Kong)

U.S.: novotm (MA); Massive RC (FL); SPYTEC (NY); ReadyMadeRC (OH)

Europe:
Webbex (U.K.); JooVuu (U.K.); Mobius-Cam.com (NL); Revotech (CZ)

I see they work directly with the developer.
So that's why I was wondering, who is the developer?

Doesn't matter really as the devs don't interact with end users anyway

There are good channels to get information to the development team via isoprop and Tom Frank which is what matters most

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost.php?p=29469614&postcount=11527
Tom Frank;29469614 said:
This is mainly bug fixes to all the things that appeared in the v2.10 compiled with new developer's code libraries, as well as a number of nagging things the user base has found and lived with for a while. Here's the list of the changes:

NOTE: You must download v3.0.3.0 of the mSetup.exe GUI program to configure the Mobius with a Windows PC running this firmware.

BUG FIXES:

1. Fixed unexpected recording termination in Time Lapse Photo mode and with certain video clip lengths
2. Fixed non-functional Contrast control function when Vivid Color Option is ON
3. Fixed non-functional Mono Color Effect setting.
4. Tweaked the WDR settings a bit.
5. Fixed inoperative "Power Off with external power disconnect" function in Time Lapse Photo Mode when "Auto Record withexternal power connection" function is set.
6. Fixed PAL (25 and 50fps) recording to record unique frames, but there is still an obscure problem during playback that causes the video to notplay back smoothly. Some players (e.g. VLC) show jerky motion whereas WMP is much better, though still noticeable.
7. Fixed off-center 1080p Narrow video frame.
8. Fixed large jump in first Exposure Function increase increment above mid point
9. Fixed File protection bug that only protected the last file in a continuous sequence. Now uses this logic:
a. If the current running file is less than 1 minute, it should lock previous file and the current file.
b. If the current running file will be closed less than 1 minute, it should lock the current file and the next file.
c. If the current running file has recorded over 1 minute and will be closed after 1 minute, only the current file is locked.

NOTE: You must turn on your folder options to show the "Detail" file view with the file "Attributes" tag toggled on in the folder header. You can toggle those by right clicking in the folder display area first to turn on the "Details" view, then right clicking in the folder header to access the "Attributes" tag check box in the "more" link. Protected files will show an "R" flag to indicated the file is "read only".
10. Fixed inconsistent timing when when Time Lapse Photo delay was set greater than 1 day.
11. Added a Card Format option to select FAT32 or exFAT for cards greater than 32 GB capacity. Currently formatting 128GB cards with FAT32 does not work in the Mobius does not work.
12. Eliminated the "weak" intermittent and moving scan line near the top of video frames in the Narrow mode.
13. Fixed failure of a new clip to be started at the 4GB file size limit if the camera was powered by a standard 4 wire USB data cable plugged in a computer USB port.

KNOWN ISSUES REMAINING:
1. Jerky play back in PAL video modes (25 and 50 fps). It varies with the video player (VLC is much worse than WMP). There are no dropped or missing frames... just a playback issue, maybe codec related?
2. No way to tell the camera is in "sleep" mode between frame captures with very long time lapse photo modes. Maybe an LED blink every 10 sec. or so would help?
3. Time lapse Photo Mode delay must be set to 2 sec. or greater when Video out is turned on (a hardware limitation). Plugging in the Mobius video out cable with it's pin 4 grounded to pin 5 turns on video out starting with V2 cameras. Any lower setting will be changed to 2 sec. by the FW, and will not be reset when video out is turned off! If video out is not needed, do not use the stock video out cable to provide external power to the camera if you want a delay setting less than 2 sec. Use any generic USB 2-wire power source.
4. In-camera formatting of 128GB cards with FAT32 does not work at this point, but can be done with some external formatting programs.

The FW is getting very complicated and nearing the mature point where further enhancement becomes less practical, I think.
I hope 8 and 9 work correctly.

Last edited:
"4. Tweaked the WDR settings a bit."

"8. Fixed large jump in first Exposure Function increase increment above mid point"

"9. Fixed File protection bug that only protected the last file in a continuous sequence. Now uses this logic:
a. If the current running file is less than 1 minute, it should lock previous file and the current file.
b. If the current running file will be closed less than 1 minute, it should lock the current file and the next file.
c. If the current running file has recorded over 1 minute and will be closed after 1 minute, only the current file is locked."

great!!! i will test it during this day and tonight

I've got 2.18 on and mSetup 3.0.3.0 (thanks Isoprop) and noticed a couple of new things in the GUI - off the top of my head there's a filesystem setting for cards over 32GB (ie FAT32 or exFAT) and I noticed when you pick the timelapse mode now it sets the video clip length to max as per what Bob noticed the camera is doing with timelapse clips not being cut.

Just having a play with my first timelapse now, but it's a poor day here so it won't be all that great for now - I had plans for an amazing one today but the weather just isn't good enough for it :/

Well here's my first test - it works fine as before :)

I might have to head out and find the place I wanted to do this at!

how did you rotate the camera like that?
on what did you put it on?

how did you rotate the camera like that?
on what did you put it on?
It's on a Flow Mow - http://www.flow-mow.com/

You can also modify an egg timer for this sort of purpose, but I went with the Flow Mow as it has a slower rotation speed (180 degrees an hour instead of 360 like most things out there)

Doesn't matter really as the devs don't interact with end users anyway

There are good channels to get information to the development team via isoprop and Tom Frank which is what matters most

That's okay. I wasn't looking to interact with the developers or get any information to them. I was hoping to learn more about the company - like how they got started, what they plan for the future, any investors, any advisors, or anything else interesting from a business perspective. I originally thought they might have this info on their website, like what most companies do. But it sounds like they don't have this kind of website yet.

You can try contact "TechMoan" from Youtube.
he talked (in the video) about how he contacted them after he reviewed the 808 type cameras and how he helped them with recommendations\suggestions about the new model - the mobius.

New Firmware 2.18 bug report.

I love the idea of the protected file logic. However it doesn't quite work correctly. I did a test as follows creating 3 files
Started mobius and let it run for 3minutes (I have 3 minute files set up) to create 1st file.
Pressed the protect file button within a minute of 2nd file starting. (this is the one I want to protect, but with new FW the previous should also be protected.)
Waited until previous 3 minute file recorded before switching off mobius. (short 3rd file created)
However after looking at which files were actually protected, I found that last file from yesterday was now protected as well as 1st from this test.
It did NOT protect the actual one I wanted to protect.

Close but needing fixed before I can use this FW. Back to 1.20 for me

EDIT: I tried to recreate my fault after formatting the card and it worked the way it should this time. Hmmm.... I don't know what that means but further testing for me I think.

Last edited:
maybe you protected or deleted some files and the naming of the files are not as the REC_0001, REC_0002, REC_0003 order.
after you formatted the card, the files start from REC_0001 again and in the right order.
next time don't delete files.
if you protect files from deleting, as soon as you arrive home, insert the video to your hard drive and remove the "read only" in the permissions from that file in the sd card so it will cycle properly.

i'm not sure of this but this is my guess.

So, 2.18 éh.... Are we done now?

night recordings:

Really, please, are we done now?

;)

MANY THANKS TO ALL!!

THANK GUYS!!!!

:D

Last edited:
Back