Mobius support thread and Tech Guide (post all problems/help requests here) Read posts #1-8 first

Hey guys,

Anyone have this issue or know how to fix it?

My mobius was working fine and is stationary (does not move from my car).

I noticed I have a issue now. When it auto-powers on (or if I use manual power on) the yellow light flashes slightly faster than a record flash about 19-20 times then it quickly flashes yellow, so quick I cannot count. Then there is 1 fast red and 1 fast yellow followed by the unit shutting down.

I tried 2 different memory cards, both worked in the past and work in other devices. I tried formatting them externally and still no luck. I tried numerous USB cords, all that are known to work before.

When I plug it into my computer I get a connected USB device under my computer and the computer says I need to format it before use - it won't let me format it fails.

It will not load under mSetup either.

Any ideas? Suggestions?

Hey guys,

Anyone have this issue or know how to fix it?

My mobius was working fine and is stationary (does not move from my car).

I noticed I have a issue now. When it auto-powers on (or if I use manual power on) the yellow light flashes slightly faster than a record flash about 19-20 times then it quickly flashes yellow, so quick I cannot count. Then there is 1 fast red and 1 fast yellow followed by the unit shutting down.

I tried 2 different memory cards, both worked in the past and work in other devices. I tried formatting them externally and still no luck. I tried numerous USB cords, all that are known to work before.

When I plug it into my computer I get a connected USB device under my computer and the computer says I need to format it before use - it won't let me format it fails.

It will not load under mSetup either.

Any ideas? Suggestions?
Some ideas, but first the bad news.
There's definitely a card problem but it could also be caused by a bad contact inside the card holder.The contact could just be dirty, but it could also be bent. If you're skilled at soldering then it's not too difficult to open the card casing but there's an almost invisible spring which is just waiting to be lost when it jumps out at you! If you're not good at these tiny delicate jobs then don't attempt to remove the casing. You may be able to look at the contacts from the front to see if everything looks OK.
If it's just a dirty contact then try to apply isopropyl alcohol to the contacts using maybe a tissue and a toothpick. You can also soak the contacts on the card and then insert it and remove it a couple of times. Be very careful not to bend the contacts!
And now the better news.
Physical problems with the card holder are very, very rare so I would expect more of a formatting problem. You didn't say which firmware version you're using or your card's capacity. If you're using firmware v2.10 and your card is 64GB then you must format the card to FAT32 using an external formatting tool. If possible, try and find a small card, like 4GB, and see if that works. Firmware v2.18 is by far the best version as far as card compatibility is concerned.
Always use SDFormatter to format cards with a capacity of 32GB and less. If you can't format the card in the camera then use an external card reader.
You can test your USB cables by removing the card and using the camera in webcam mode. If that works, then your USB cable is OK.

From reading the first posts, I gather the Mobius is an actioncam first. To use it as a dashcam and to have it record when it gets power from the cigarette lighter, all I have to do is use the mSetup tool and select Power On - Auto Record to external only. Is this correct? Is there anything else I need to do to have it record when the car starts?

Should be good in that case mate :)

As for that first vid it looks like Standard to me but we'll have to see what he says.

From reading the first posts, I gather the Mobius is an actioncam first. To use it as a dashcam and to have it record when it gets power from the cigarette lighter, all I have to do is use the mSetup tool and select Power On - Auto Record to external only. Is this correct? Is there anything else I need to do to have it record when the car starts?
That's all you need to do - I also have the power on set to delay so that I don't accidentally start it by pressing that button but with that set as long as your power source is switched with the car it will start at the same time!

In the settings, no. Make sure you use the correct USB cigarette adaptor that puts out a clean 5v 1A and a good mini USB power cable. Easiest is to buy the both with your Mobius from the authorized seller.

In the settings, no. Make sure you use the correct USB cigarette adaptor that puts out a clean 5v 1A and a good mini USB power cable. Easiest is to buy the both with your Mobius from the authorized seller.

Thanks! You mean the mobius does not come with any USB cigarrette adapter? I guess makes sense since it's an action cam to begin with. I will try to find some unboxing/reviews on this little guy.

Thanks! You mean the mobius does not come with any USB cigarrette adapter? I guess makes sense since it's an action cam to begin with. I will try to find some unboxing/reviews on this little guy.

The Möbius is an A la carte kind of product where you buy what you want and need according to how you plan to use it.

Some ideas, but first the bad news.
There's definitely a card problem but it could also be caused by a bad contact inside the card holder.The contact could just be dirty, but it could also be bent. If you're skilled at soldering then it's not too difficult to open the card casing but there's an almost invisible spring which is just waiting to be lost when it jumps out at you! If you're not good at these tiny delicate jobs then don't attempt to remove the casing. You may be able to look at the contacts from the front to see if everything looks OK.
If it's just a dirty contact then try to apply isopropyl alcohol to the contacts using maybe a tissue and a toothpick. You can also soak the contacts on the card and then insert it and remove it a couple of times. Be very careful not to bend the contacts!
And now the better news.
Physical problems with the card holder are very, very rare so I would expect more of a formatting problem. You didn't say which firmware version you're using or your card's capacity. If you're using firmware v2.10 and your card is 64GB then you must format the card to FAT32 using an external formatting tool. If possible, try and find a small card, like 4GB, and see if that works. Firmware v2.18 is by far the best version as far as card compatibility is concerned.
Always use SDFormatter to format cards with a capacity of 32GB and less. If you can't format the card in the camera then use an external card reader.
You can test your USB cables by removing the card and using the camera in webcam mode. If that works, then your USB cable is OK.

Thanks for the reply.

I tried to put the mobius into webcam mode, it would not do it. When I plug the cam into my computer without a memory card, I get the exact same lights.

I used the SDFormatter to format the cards.

I looked at the SD card reader... without opening it I looked inside and I did not see any bent pins...but it is such a small hole who knows.

I was tempted to take it apart, but I contacted the seller who offered me to ship it to them and they will send another. I think I will go that route. It will leave me without a cam for many weeks (probably 2 months ish) but that will save me from buying another if I break it trying to fix it.

thanks

edit:

i--i...don't understand...it is now working fine now.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply.

I tried to put the mobius into webcam mode, it would not do it. When I plug the cam into my computer without a memory card, I get the exact same lights.

I used the SDFormatter to format the cards.

I looked at the SD card reader... without opening it I looked inside and I did not see any bent pins...but it is such a small hole who knows.

I was tempted to take it apart, but I contacted the seller who offered me to ship it to them and they will send another. I think I will go that route. It will leave me without a cam for many weeks (probably 2 months ish) but that will save me from buying another if I break it trying to fix it.

thanks

edit:

i--i...don't understand...it is now working fine now.
GREAT! All the same, I would double and triple check that everything works as it should. Don't forget webcam mode and different cards. Also, start a recording and let the battery run down. Check how many recording minutes you got. It's not normal that the camera suddenly doesn't work for a while - unless you did something wrong or (maybe) have a bad power supply.
Tomorrow is the Chinese National day so don't expect any communication from your seller for the next week in case you have to send your camera back for replacement. If the camera stops working again don't open it up, it's not worth it!

GREAT! All the same, I would double and triple check that everything works as it should. Don't forget webcam mode and different cards. Also, start a recording and let the battery run down. Check how many recording minutes you got. It's not normal that the camera suddenly doesn't work for a while - unless you did something wrong or (maybe) have a bad power supply.
Tomorrow is the Chinese National day so don't expect any communication from your seller for the next week in case you have to send your camera back for replacement. If the camera stops working again don't open it up, it's not worth it!
thanks. Not going to lie. I don't trust the unit as much any more. I might order another and if mine fails, atleast Ill have a backup to replace it with.

I am using the capacitor version.

It is so weird. While it was quickly flashing its lights I started pressing random buttons and eventually it started to work. Both my memory cards and all my usb cables work no problem now... i turned it on and off many times, unplugged it and plugged it in many times and it has not had the flashing light error yet.

Just used my Mobius as a dash cam today and am very pleased, but I do have a problem. My wife doesn't like my "toys" and I can't seems to find a place to put the cam so that none of my passengers can see it. I know how to do the wiring, but to truly hide the device I need help, please. I have a 2011 Hyundai Elantra Limited with the screening on the windshield directly in the middle and also have my state inspection sticker and EZ Pass transponder right in the middle. The rearview mirror is just stuck to the windshield. All suggestions, except those who may tell me to stick it elsewhere, would be greatly appreciated.

Just used my Mobius as a dash cam today and am very pleased, but I do have a problem. My wife doesn't like my "toys" and I can't seems to find a place to put the cam so that none of my passengers can see it. I know how to do the wiring, but to truly hide the device I need help, please. I have a 2011 Hyundai Elantra Limited with the screening on the windshield directly in the middle and also have my state inspection sticker and EZ Pass transponder right in the middle. The rearview mirror is just stuck to the windshield. All suggestions, except those who may tell me to stick it elsewhere, would be greatly appreciated.
Get a lens extension and hiding it is easier.
With a lens extension IF, and that is a big if, someone notices my mobius, they think it is a garage opener.

how hot does these heat sinks on this cam that stick out get? can it be put in the roof lining with lens extension without it being a fire hazard??

how hot does these heat sinks on this cam that stick out get? can it be put in the roof lining with lens extension without it being a fire hazard??
You don't want to let them touch anything. They get very hot especially enclosed

After lots of research, I think I will go with the mobius. I checked eletoponline365 and digitalele889's ebay page and both don't mention the B lens. Do the new shipments of the mobius already come with the B lens?

After lots of research, I think I will go with the mobius. I checked eletoponline365 and digitalele889's ebay page and both don't mention the B lens. Do the new shipments of the mobius already come with the B lens?

You won't regret buying a Mobius. I can't think of anyone here who came back and said they made the wrong decision and many (like me for one) find all kinds of alternative uses for this versatile camera. Banggood sells the Mobius with the A or B lens. I have ordered from them a number of times and can recommend them highly. Even if you have a problem they will take care of it as best they can. For example, I ordered a Mobius "B" lens module from them that turned out to be defective. I sent them some screen shots demonstrating the problem and they were very nice about promptly sending me a replacement without making me go to the trouble and expense of returning the defective one to Asia. http://www.banggood.com/Mobius-Action-Camera-1080P-HD-Mini-Sports-Camera-Wide-Angle-Edition-p-917817.html

Last edited:
Get a lens extension and hiding it is easier.
With a lens extension IF, and that is a big if, someone notices my mobius, they think it is a garage opener.
Guess I'll just have to man-up and will install it just before a long road trip. Sometimes I just over-think things, probably like most of us on here.

anyone know if you can replace just the ribbon cable of the mobius lens? I broke my ribbon cable. It is the cable that goes into the lens itself.

Back