Mobius support thread and Tech Guide (post all problems/help requests here) Read posts #1-8 first

Hi, I'm currently using the mobius as a dashcam and am running into an issue of reading the memory card when the camera is still recording. When I want to watch the recording in the car, I plug the camera into the computer or ipad (with usb camera kit from apple).
Is there a way for the camera to automatically stop recording and be able to be read by the PC when connected? It seems like I must wait for the camera to stop recording or turn off. I currently have the camera in motion detection mode and in an enclosure so I don't have access to physically turn the camera off nor can I wait for the camera to turn off in the case of things moving in front of my car.

Hi, I'm currently using the mobius as a dashcam and am running into an issue of reading the memory card when the camera is still recording. When I want to watch the recording in the car, I plug the camera into the computer or ipad (with usb camera kit from apple).
Is there a way for the camera to automatically stop recording and be able to be read by the PC when connected? It seems like I must wait for the camera to stop recording or turn off. I currently have the camera in motion detection mode and in an enclosure so I don't have access to physically turn the camera off nor can I wait for the camera to turn off in the case of things moving in front of my car.
As you have found out, you must first stop the recording before you can access the card. It is not possible to do it otherwise. Have you tried setting Power-Off Disconnect to immediate? For this to work you must also have Power-On Auto-Record set to External or Both. Now, when you disconnect power your camera should turn off. When you reconnect your camera to your iPad your camera should be visible as an external drive.

As you have found out, you must first stop the recording before you can access the card. It is not possible to do it otherwise. Have you tried setting Power-Off Disconnect to immediate? For this to work you must also have Power-On Auto-Record set to External or Both. Now, when you disconnect power your camera should turn off. When you reconnect your camera to your iPad your camera should be visible as an external drive.
Yes, this is the same setting I currently have except I have chose a 10second power off delay. I was unsure of this setting because I'd like the battery to take over if ever in the case my car fails to provide power. Unfortunately with the power disconnect 10second power off delay, I must wait to make sure the camera is off before plugging it back into power or it will turn off if I plug it back into power before 10 seconds. I want to avoid accidentally plugging it back in too quick and not notice the camera is off.

I think the above configuration is the currently the best for my use right now, I was just wondering if there was a setting for recording auto stop and read when the tx and rx pins are detected. Thanks!

you just described my issue perfectly.

i have two mobius's. One will turn on no problem in the cold..the other, three red lights and then nothing. Not until the car warms up will it turn on (maybe 10 minutes of driving). Pretty annoying. I have to unplug it and plug it back in for the auto start. at 3 degrees celcius it starts no problem, at around 0 and below, it fails to start (but yet my second one starts no problem).

I tried switching the capacitor with no change .
@Signhere, although there are not hordes of people, there is a select few who are having some issues with freezing temperatures with no explanation so far. I too have a mobius which works for many hours in the freezing cold, but I also have one that is giving me a headache...

Is it battery related or you just have a bad Mobius that doesn't like the cold?

..... I was just wondering if there was a setting for recording auto stop and read when the tx and rx pins are detected. Thanks!
When the camera is in standby or recording, the data lines are switched to video and audio output so there's no possibility to detect an input signal.

Reactions: Mtz
New Wide Angle lens, lens 'C', available
Mobius development doesn't stand still!
After many weeks of developer's testing a new lens module for the Mobius will soon be available at your favorite vendor. The lens is called the lens 'C'.
The 'C' lens has a slightly larger AOV than the 'B' lens and the front lens body is slightly thicker as can be seen in the comparison picture below.
Tom Frank from RCGroups and a major (THE major) Mobius tester measured the horizontal field of view (HFOV) as 131° in comparison to the lens 'B' 122°.
The lens 'C' uses a glass fiber lens base which should be better for heat dissipation. The quality is superb with very little lens flare in comparison to the previous models. It also has noticeably better brightness across the whole picture.
The new lens will cost approx. $2 more than the 'B' lens. All lenses are interchangeable and it doesn't take more than a minute or two to swap them.
An updated mSetup GUI will be available in the next few days to allow setting the appropriate lens type. It's not definite if a new setting is really needed, but the tool tips and integrated help have also been revised, among other things.
More information and pictures can be found at http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost.php?p=30559903&postcount=13487
Lens_A_B_C.jpg

Last edited:
Mega thanks, so the fishier C type lens rumours were true - time to buy a new lens and module in that case :)

Wonder how well it is corrected for barrel distortion? I guess we'll find out. Also, it will be interesting to see if the wider AOV is a worthwhile trade off for license plate capture when using the Mobius as a dash cam.

@Isoprop you guys never cease to impress! Thanks, can't wait to see what else you can do with this tiny camera.

Wonder how well it is corrected for barrel distortion? I guess we'll find out. Also, it will be interesting to see if the wider AOV is a worthwhile trade off for license plate capture when using the Mobius as a dash cam.
Ideally two side by side would be a nice package. When you think how small they are, it's feasible. I prefer the A myself, after testing the SJ4000, I can see the wide angle reasoning.

I've still been experimenting with 4 dash cams in my vehicle and frankly have become addicted to the concept. I capture the coolest (and usually very useful) footage on either side of my vehicle, often things I didn't otherwise even know were happening. I am just using re-purposed older dash cams that would otherwise sit idle. Just in the last few days, I've been musing about the idea of using 3 (lateral and rear) or 4 (front, sides and rear) Mobi with the side facing cameras using 8 inch lens extensions and custom adjustable lens mounts. The new C lens would be ideal for this scheme, especially for the lateral facing cameras.

Mega thanks, so the fishier C type lens rumours were true - time to buy a new lens and module in that case :)
Rumors? I never listen to Mobius rumors. There have been so many rumors in the past that never came true. Best to keep to facts.
Don't expect wonders for the fisheye effect. It's not possible to physically correct with these tiny lenses and the DSP is way to weak to do any software corrections. However, the flare, or better said, lack of, is really good. These lenses are of extremely high quality and are designed completely differently than the 'B' lens.

One way or another the Mobius has been the most versatile, customizable, configurable, fun camera on the planet. It's like a whole hobby unto itself beyond my interest in other dash cams and action cams in general. The new C lens seems like the cherry on top. Can't wait to buy one!

@Isoprop you guys never cease to impress! Thanks, can't wait to see what else you can do with this tiny camera.
The developer continues to surprise us as well! We usually have a good head start on information and long-term plans, but we are often also taken completely by surprise. That's what makes this camera so interesting!

One way or another the Mobius has been the most versatile, customizable, configurable, fun camera on the planet. It's like a whole hobby unto itself beyond my interest in other dash cams and action cams in general. The new C lens seems like the cherry on top. Can't wait to buy one!
It truly is one of the best buys in the dash cam market at the moment. In my year with this camera, it hasn't stopped getting better. Other developers take notes on what a $68 camera can do with the right support and a team that cares.

The lens 'C' uses a glass fiber lens base which should be better for heat dissipation.

How does the FRP lens module help dissipate heat?

I would have though the older metal module would be more helpful in dissipating heat.

Or is it that the FRP module doesn't draw heat away from the heat sinks, reducing overall temperatures inside the camera body?

That is really nice to have a wider lens from the dash cam users point of view. Also, I would personally like to have a better 8 inch lens extension cable, and by better I mean to be easier to attach it to the camera body and to be not so easy to be broken. Shortly put, to have something similar to the Innovv C3 remote lens. Keep well!

How does the FRP lens module help dissipate heat?

I would have though the older metal module would be more helpful in dissipating heat.

Or is it that the FRP module doesn't draw heat away from the heat sinks, reducing overall temperatures inside the camera body?
I can only speculate on the reason and have to take the developer's word for it. Fact is the metal base of the previous modules can become very warm. Excessive heat is not good for any CMOS module.
I respect how the developer searches for better solutions, most likely based on returns or other factors that we are not aware of. He's a perfectionist, as I've mentioned a few times.

That is really nice to have a wider lens from the dash cam users point of view. Also, I would personally like to have a better 8 inch lens extension cable, and by better I mean to be easier to attach it to the camera body and to be not so easy to be broken. Shortly put, to have something similar to the Innovv C3 remote lens. Keep well!
Ever since he produced the #16 the developer has been investigating lens extension cables, but as I understand it, he can't find a better solution with the current hardware. The ribbon cable is way more robust than the initial cable, but I agree that the connection ends are clumsy. All the same, you don't need a different camera if you want a short extension.

Thank you very much for the quick response!

Back