Mobius support thread and Tech Guide (post all problems/help requests here) Read posts #1-8 first

I can only advise to avoid Sandisk. I can assure you they aren't good in the Mobius and will fail sooner or later. When they work they are fine, but they will fail one day...

I can only advise to avoid Sandisk. I can assure you they aren't good in the Mobius and will fail sooner or later. When they work they are fine, but they will fail one day...
+1 I cant agree enough, I have had about 3 faulty sandisk cards, I wont touch them with a barge pole any more. utter garbage for dash cams.

I'm well aware of the issues with SanDisk cards but mentioned them anyway because I own three SanDisk Ultra 32GB Class 10 cards that I've had for quite some time and have never had the slightest problem or hiccup with any of them in a Mobius or any other camera. Go figure? :)

Edit: All three cards were fulfilled by Amazon.

Last edited:
The red and grey U1 cards were always the finicky ones, most common model for fakes also which might skew the results somewhat

The red and grey U1 cards were always the finicky ones, most common model for fakes also which might skew the results somewhat

Those red and grey cards are the ones I have. I bought them before I knew of others having problems, and like I've said, I've been lucky. At this point it seems best to avoid them however, especially since more consistently reliable cards from well known competitors are available at lower cost.

Because of the widespread problems with fakes, only buy from Amazon (fulfilled by) or a local merchant you can trust.

Last edited:
Ok sounds good.
I did buy one sandisk off of EBay and it did not work in the mobious. Red and grey.
I have my best luck with Kingston.
I'll consider Amazon.

Those red and grey cards are the ones I have. I bought them before I knew of others having problems, and like I've said, I've been lucky. At this point it seems best to avoid them however, especially since more consistently reliable cards from well known competitors are available at lower cost.

Because of the widespread problems with fakes, only buy from Amazon (fulfilled by) or a local merchant you can trust.
My Mobius has a Sandisk in it exclusively for a year without issue also. Though, as has been said, for complete compatibility best to go with another brand.

I have a request for a card update @Isoprop. My Mobius fell out of my pocket the other day and the card must have shot out of it. I didn't realize it until I went inside to check that it worked and found the card missing. I was thinking, great how am I going to find a micro Sd card in the snow. Luckily it hit something, stopping it from going into the snow. If the case is ever updated, can we get some form of lock for the SD card?

My Mobius has a Sandisk in it exclusively for a year without issue also. Though, as has been said, for complete compatibility best to go with another brand.

I have a request for a card update @Isoprop. My Mobius fell out of my pocket the other day and the card must have shot out of it. I didn't realize it until I went inside to check that it worked and found the card missing. I was thinking, great how am I going to find a micro Sd card in the snow. Luckily it hit something, stopping it from going into the snow. If the case is ever updated, can we get some form of lock for the SD card?
The card cage is standard. I doubt if it will ever be changed, but who knows. I have swapped cages in the past, so for me, I'm pleased the cages are readily available. What a lot of people do is use a piece of tape over the card to prevent it from falling out. Simple and effective. You can also use electricians tape to make the card a little thicker which will wedge it into place.
I often number my cards using black 6mm P-Touch tape (Brother). I cut the tape about 2.2cm long and bend over about 6mm from the numbered part so it isn't sticky. Then I attach the remaining sticky part to the rear of the card (contact side) so that the doubled-over and numbered part is showing on the outside. This won't stop the card falling out, but it makes the card a little larger and easier to find. It's also heavier so won't fly so far when ejected. It's a good way of identifying what card is in your camera, but the camera doesn't look so good with the tape attached to the card. You can bend the tape 90° so it lies flush with the case, but I like the tape protruding so I can see the number from the top of the camera.
I have lost quite a few cards in the past. Probably they fall off my desk without me noticing and then the vacuum cleaner swallows them. I don't have another explanation why they keep disappearing. I'm more careful with the large capacity ones.

Thanks @Isoprop I will give it a shot. I've avoided tape I the past, as not to leave tape residue and make it look cheap. Maybe on the card would work to thicken it.

On a seperate note, I found that the Armorall dash protectector type products (I use Mequiars) keep the case looking new and black.

OK - Thanks for the reply. I suspect it must be a driver problem. Other SD cards I use in my digital cameras work without a problem -I think they are all Scandisk cards. This problem card is the only Toshiba I have. I've ordered some Kingston cards - that will probably solve the problem. Thanx again.

Follow up : I received 2 Kingston 16g, micro-SD cards and formatted them using the Mobius format and the quick format when inserted in the computer card reader and they both worked, either way. So, I don't know if there is something about Toshiba cards that caused them to bomb in the card reader after a Mobius format or if the particular card I tried had a problem. Any way - problem solved.

What brands do you suggest we use?

Thanks...

I've been using Samsung's Pro 32GB and recently 64GB Class 10. Even the 32GB had odd behavior where it would stop recording after it was full with the loop mode turned on so I think it was here that suggested properly formatting the microSD using SD Card Formatter v4. I only did it last night so only time will tell when I can check and see if it's loop recording properly.

I also rarely take out the microSD themselves from the Mobius to reduce ESD. I use a quick release (Tamrac zipshot quick release) and just plug the unit with the mini USB to PC.

GJHS, I don't know if you remember it but 10 months ago I posted a photo of my "Enhanced High Performance Binder Clip Mobius MicroSD Card Security Retention System"....and Heat Sink Enhancer. :D

View attachment 10960
Is this to keep the card in or as an anti theft device? :p

Is this to keep the card in or as an anti theft device? :p

Heh, heh,.......actually, that was after @BobDiaz's Mobius came out of its cradle during his car accident when a mattress came off the truck in front of him. It was an impromptu scheme to secure the card in the camera and the camera to the cradle in a way that would still be quick and easy to remove.

What brands do you suggest we use?

Thanks...
Most of my cards are Kingston and they are by far the most reliable. I have tested PQI, PNY, Samsung and, of course Sandisk. If you use Sandisk you're asking for trouble, as you know :). Sometimes I got 100 hours continuous recording from them, sometimes much less, but I can almost guarantee they will fail at some point. Most of my Sandisk were replaced free of charge, but that doesn't help because I know they'll fail again.... I could replace my last failed Sandisk by a Kingston which gives me a usable card.
I haven't really tested other brands. The PQI, PNY and Samsung worked, but they would occasionally prematurely stop recording, maybe after 2-10 days continuous recording. One or two Kingstons did the same, but not so often.
I only feel 'safe' using Kingston, but I'm sure there are other brands that will work just as well. I don't think a 'perfect' card exists and all cards need formatting from time to time.
I haven't tested Transcend, which I suspect may also be a good choice. As for the others, Sony, Toshiba, Lexar, Adata, HP, etc - no idea, I'm afraid.

I am using Kingston on both my dashcam and had no issues what so ever. So, my recommendation goes for Kingston brand bougth from an trusted seller.

Most of my cards are Kingston and they are by far the most reliable. I have tested PQI, PNY, Samsung and, of course Sandisk. If you use Sandisk you're asking for trouble, as you know :). Sometimes I got 100 hours continuous recording from them, sometimes much less, but I can almost guarantee they will fail at some point. Most of my Sandisk were replaced free of charge, but that doesn't help because I know they'll fail again.... I could replace my last failed Sandisk by a Kingston which gives me a usable card.
I haven't really tested other brands. The PQI, PNY and Samsung worked, but they would occasionally prematurely stop recording, maybe after 2-10 days continuous recording. One or two Kingstons did the same, but not so often.
I only feel 'safe' using Kingston, but I'm sure there are other brands that will work just as well. I don't think a 'perfect' card exists and all cards need formatting from time to time.
I haven't tested Transcend, which I suspect may also be a good choice. As for the others, Sony, Toshiba, Lexar, Adata, HP, etc - no idea, I'm afraid.

Been using Sandisk for a while haven't had any issues, same as ADATA

Firmware v2.33 released

This is a minor update which corrects issues found in the previous release.
The firmware has reached a level where it's impossible to test every possible combination of different parameters before it is released.
However, if issues are found and reported the developer will try and correct them as soon as possible.
This update corrects the LED activity when setting the Auto Exposure Lock and Auto White Balance Lock when the recording LED is disabled.
A visual indication when the lock is being set while the camera is recording has also been added.
More information can be found in the updated manual which is also integrated in the latest Windows mSetup program (v3.0.4.5).
In addition, the lock should now work correctly in photo mode. A few tweaks have also been made to the white balance.
The latest firmware version can be downloaded from here.

i noticed when i choose .mov format vs .mp4 format that the file size is considerably larger. is there an advantage to the .mov format? i see loop recording isn't allowed with .mp4 format though.

tia

Back