Mobius support thread and Tech Guide (post all problems/help requests here) Read posts #1-8 first

It happened to me once, I just reinserted the card. Ignore the prompt to format, the data is there.

Today was dam cold and I noticed that my mobius didn't start,
But I might have found why, it seems that when I crank the engine the cig lighter socket provide less power in order to help the car start up.
:cool:
If my car starts right up, so do my mobiuses

Dropped frame issue corrected. Firmware v2.30 now available
As some people may be aware a bug was found with v2.29 when the Wide FOV was selected. The firmware dropped frames every 41 frames or so resulting in a duplicate frame every 42nd frame. This bug only occurs when Wide FOV is selected.
Luckily, the bug is not caused by the new lock parameters as some people suspected, but rather by code which was supposed to solve the ghost line issue which has been present for some time but only appears under certain lighting conditions.
The developer has reacted quickly and has provided a new firmware version (v2.30) which corrects the dropped frame bug.
The firmware can be downloaded from here (scroll to the bottom of the page).

Today was dam cold and I noticed that my mobius didn't start,
But I might have found why, it seems that when I crank the engine the cig lighter socket provide less power in order to help the car start up.
:cool:
If my car starts right up, so do my mobiuses

this could be resolved in firmware but at least you understand the issue so can work around it

This seems to be a plausible explanation for this but I did some casual testing of this theory today and got different results.
After my vehicle had started at 6 degrees Fahrenheit and I apparently had full voltage at the 12v cigar outlet, unplugging and replugging my super-capped Mobius would give me a RED flash three times but would still not start. As before, it seems to require perhaps sixty or more (90?) seconds of being plugged in at full voltage until it will boot up properly. FWIW, my vehicle has a healthy over-sized battery.

We are in the middle of a fierce blizzard with killer windchill and are expecting up to 17 inches of snow, so I didn't spend much time out there when I was moving my truck for the guy who plows my property. The next opportunity I get I will put a meter on the 12V socket(s) and see what voltages I get while cranking during start-up at these temps.

This seems to be a plausible explanation for this but I did some casual testing of this theory today and got different results.
After my vehicle had started at 6 degrees Fahrenheit and I apparently had full voltage at the 12v cigar outlet, unplugging and replugging my super-capped Mobius would give me a RED flash three times but would still not start. As before, it seems to require perhaps sixty or more seconds of being plugged in at full voltage until it will boot up properly. FWIW, my vehicle has a healthy over-sized battery.

if you try it with a battery and it starts up normally under these conditions then the problems for capacitors is firmware addressable

Hi @Isoprop
Is there a reason why Lens 'C' option is available only for FW 2.xx?
The option was first introduced in firmware v2.29 so you'll have to use the (inaccurate?) 'B' setting or adjust the colors manually if you prefer to use a previous firmware version with the 'C' lens.
Previous firmware versions don't support the 'C' lens because it didn't exist at the time the firmware was written.
Now that the firmware is pretty much mature I see absolutely no reason to use older firmware versions anyway, but it's your choice.

Last edited by a moderator:
So, although I haven't yet had the opportunity to test the voltage at the 12V ACC outlet in my vehicle during start-up as promised yesterday, I can confirm that the issue regarding the Mobius (w/super-capacitor) failing to fully boot up in sub-zero temperatures during start-up has nothing to do with lower vehicle battery voltages during hard cold cranking. (at least for me)

This morning when I got up it was -3 degrees Fahrenheit. By the time I got out to my vehicle it was a bit warmer, around +6 degrees F. Before I started my vehicle I unplugged the Mobius USB cable from the (Anker 24W) charger plugged into the 12V ACC socket. After starting my truck and waiting awhile until I was sure that everything was up and running properly, I plugged the Mobius back into the USB power supply at the 12V socket. The camera gave the usual 3 red flashes on the rear LED and then nothing. I waited perhaps 10 seconds and tried it again. Once again, three red flashes and then nothing. As before, it appears that certain components on the Mobius circuit board require at least sixty seconds or more of power to come up to whatever critical internal temperature they require to complete the boot-up process.

Last edited:
So, although I haven't yet had the opportunity to test the voltage at the 12V ACC outlet in my vehicle during start-up as promised yesterday, I can confirm that the issue regarding the Mobius (w/super-capacitor) failure to fully boot up in sub-zero temperatures during start-up has nothing to do with lower vehicle battery voltages during hard cold cranking. (at least for me)

This morning when I got up it was -3 degrees Fahrenheit. By the time I got out to my vehicle it was a bit warmer, around +6 degrees F. Before I started my vehicle I unplugged the Mobius USB cable from the (Anker 24W) 12v adapter plugged into the socket. After starting my truck and waiting awhile until I was sure that everything was up and running properly, I plugged the Mobius back into the USB power supply at the 12V ACC socket. The camera gave the usual 3 red flashes on the rear LED and then nothing. I waited perhaps 10 seconds and tried it again. Once again, three red flashes and then nothing. As before, it appears that certain components on the Mobius circuit board require at least sixty seconds or more of power to come up to whatever critical internal temperature they require to complete the boot-up process.

Mine was covered in snow and wouldn't even flash upon start up (maybe I missed it) , let's hope for a firmware fix !!!!!!:)

Mine was covered in snow and wouldn't even flash upon start up (maybe I missed it) , let's hope for a firmware fix !!!!!!:)

So, @dashtalk, I assume you mean your car was covered in snow, not your Mobius! Well, at least I hope so. :)

A firmware fix (if that is possible) would be nice but my hunch is that this sort of deep freeze problem may not exactly be a high enough priority issue for the developer to feel very compelled to devote too much time and energy on. It's also probably a very small sub-group of us who are experiencing this issue as well. All in all, such bitter cold temperatures (at least here in northern New England) are a temporary phenomenon for a relatively short time each year, and personally, I don't mind unplugging the camera and waiting sixty seconds or so to plug it back in. As long as the deep cold isn't causing any permanent damage to the cameras or lenses, especially since I use super-caps, I can live with the minor hassle. If the Mobius failed to start up at all or began experiencing some other major glitches in sub-zero temperatures, it would be an entirely different kettle of fish.

need an add on heater like diesels use that warm up before it starts.

The cold starting problem can't be fixed by firmware. Keep in mind that the Mobius is not a military grade camera :eek:. The operating ambient temperature of the DSP is specified as min.-10°C (14°F), so if your Mobius works in much colder environments you should consider yourself lucky.
In addition, all passive components have tolerances, usually 5% or 10%, and a combination of the differences may also lead to one camera performing differently than another. Under normal conditions these tolerances can be ignored, but they may affect how your camera performs when you operate it beyond it's limit.

Isoprop, thanks for the information in this post. I wasn't previously aware of the exact low temperature spec of the DSP but this confirms my experience quite accurately. In one of my earliest posts about this issue back on January 10th. I said, "Up until this past week the Mobius has performed admirably in the cold weather and from what I can tell so far, the problem with a failed start of the camera only begins when the temps fall to 15 degrees F and below."

The cold starting problem can't be fixed by firmware. Keep in mind that the Mobius is not a military grade camera :eek:. The operating ambient temperature of the DSP is specified as min.-10°C (14°F), so if your Mobius works in much colder environments you should consider yourself lucky.
In addition, all passive components have tolerances, usually 5% or 10%, and a combination of the differences may also lead to one camera performing differently than another. Under normal conditions these tolerances can be ignored, but they may affect how your camera performs when you operate it beyond it's limit.

Isoprop, thanks for the information in this post. I wasn't previously aware of the exact low temperature spec of the DSP but this confirms my experience quite accurately. In one of my earliest posts about this issue back on January 10th. I said, "Up until this past week the Mobius has performed admirably in the cold weather and from what I can tell so far, the problem with a failed start of the camera only begins when the temps fall to 15 degrees F and below."
Ah, so the specs are pretty accurate :)
Good to know, and thanks for digging out your earlier post.

Hey guys. Been away for a while. My mobious on battery has been running flawlessly for the best part of a year now.
So now I feel it's time to add some to. The other vehicles. Three came in the mail the other day. Now I need to card them up. Looking for 16gb. What is the latest best card for the Mobious. Good picture not to much money.
Thanks for any help.

Hey guys. Been away for a while. My mobious on battery has been running flawlessly for the best part of a year now.
So now I feel it's time to add some to. The other vehicles. Three came in the mail the other day. Now I need to card them up. Looking for 16gb. What is the latest best card for the Mobious. Good picture not to much money.
Thanks for any help.

Prices for a good quality microSDHC card have come down dramatically. My vote would be to forgo the 16 GB card and go for 32 GB. As of today, you can buy a Transcend 32GB MicroSDHC Class10 on Amazon for $13.95 USD. On the other hand, you can buy the Kingston Digital 16 GB microSDHC Class 10 for $ 8.69, also on Amazon.

I know at one point some folks have complained of problems with certain cards in the Mobius but all of my Mobi have always performed well with any authentic name brand, size or class cards I've used in them. I've never noticed any difference in picture quality with any of the different cards. (SanDisk, Samsung, Kingston, Transcend)

Last edited:
Last edited:
Back