Mobius support thread and Tech Guide (post all problems/help requests here) Read posts #1-8 first

Mobius C by night in the rear window. Lens type set to B!
LE: The uploaded clip was generated with Registrator Viewer from camera files, only the sound was removed.

Last edited:
Horace, when your video first started out I thought you forgot to turn your lights on. Then I realized we are looking out your back window. For the first minute or so it looked like the cam was not picking up much light at all. At 1:03 your turn signal does a good job of illuminating license plates on the parked cars.

At 1:26 after you turned onto a lit street the rear view becomes very clear and well lit by the street lights. I am not sure it would look that well lit in real life. At 1:53 the street light helps to reduce glare from the lights of the car behind you. 2:25 shows lights from cars, buildings, and street lights. I would think that combination would be hardest on a cams settings to get right. Going under a bridge at 2:35-2:40 shows the effect of drastically changing light conditions and the cams response. At 2:46 we can see a sign. I am sure without youtubes help we could read what it says. At 3:37 the bus on the left does not look badly distorted. At 4:08 the license plate of the car in the next lane can be read. At 4:17 the plate can be read from the car behind you.

This is very impressive from a light gathering perspective. Now I wonder how it would look with the C lens settings being used.

First minute - there were no street lights at all, you can see from time to time the marche-arriere and the brake light
1:11 - 1:40 - the scene is ruined by the taxi behind which had xenon bulbs in normal headlamps = the prefered "tunning" of stupid people
Screen grab at 2:46, it looks even better few frames later when I almost stopped (no motion blur):
vlcsnap-00001.jpg
I forgot to say that the uploaded clip was generated with Registrator Viewer from camera files, only the sound was removed. Also, I used an improper holder, the camera moved vertically because of acceleration/brake.
I'm pretty happy with the C lens, it will go soon to my front Mobius in a new setup more close to the windshield, so I hope to reduce windshield flares too.

so i finally ordered this V3 C lens, thans to banggood's discount ending today, no more days wasting on deciding about dashcam
any reason to cancel order?

so i finally ordered this V3 C lens, thans to banggood's discount ending today, no more days wasting on deciding about dashcam
any reason to cancel order?

whats the battery life on this? 800mamp battery or the old 500mamp one?

Please recommend me an USB cable to power Mobius as a rear dash cam. The cable should be lengthy enough to reach the cigarette lighter port in the front. I bought this 32 feet cable. Unfortunately, Mobius just turns on and goes into standby (I think) instead of recording.

Please recommend me an USB cable to power Mobius as a rear dash cam. The cable should be lengthy enough to reach the cigarette lighter port in the front. I bought this 32 feet cable. Unfortunately, Mobius just turns on and goes into standby (I think) instead of recording.

Read this.
https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threa...g-cable-instead-of-a-standard-usb-cable.9830/

Any of the sellers in or near your country should have the charging cable available. the small difference in price for just the cable is not worth waiting a month for it to arrive. Look at the approved sellers list on page 1 of this support thread.

EDIT: You would probably be better off to add a 12 volt wire and much closer to the mobius install a cigarette lighter and usb power adapter combination or a 12v to 5v usb adapter .

Last edited by a moderator:

10m ! You drive a bus :D?

Make sure "Power On - Auto Record" is active/selected.

Read this.
https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threa...g-cable-instead-of-a-standard-usb-cable.9830/
EDIT: You would probably be better off to add a 12 volt wire and much closer to the mobius install a cigarette lighter and usb power adapter combination or a 12v to 5v usb adapter .

Thanks for the link. Will check it out. I wanted to keep it as simple as possible since I would most likely be selling the car in another 1-1.5 years. That's why I thought getting a single USB cable would be easy. If that doesn't work out, I will try the second suggestion.
10m ! You drive a bus :D?

Make sure "Power On - Auto Record" is active/selected.
I am using the 3 metre cable for my front Mobius. So, I thought I would need 10 metre cable for the back. As you might have understood by now, I am a bit mathematically and spacially challenged. :)

The "power on-auto record" is enabled. If I connect the camera with a regular short USB cable (such as those that comes with HDD or the one that came with Mobius), it starts recording on its own as soon as I plugin the cable. The same setup with this 10 m cable doesn't work. Mobius just turns on. Then the front led remains yellow and the rear led remains red (no blinking).

Last edited by a moderator:
^
Q. The camera does not charge or does not automatically start recording when external power is connected and the Power On - Auto Record is set appropriately. A. External USB power exceeds ~5.25V. Overload voltage protection was added to the V3 hardware (main board stamped with 2014-08-19 or greater) and will protect the camera against up to max. 24V. Earlier designs will be destroyed if voltage exceeds ~5.25V.
-
Mobius' User Guide ( https://www.mobius-actioncam.com/downloads-info/ )

Does anyone know if all new mobius lens B/C should come with 820 mAH battery? I saw some sites still listing 520 mAH.

I'm also planning on mounting a cam on the back so I'm guessing just buy a super long usb cable to mount to cigarette lighter.

I read the factory offers the old and new boards. Look for a V3 board (the newest best one) and the 820 battery (or super capacitor instead). If the site does not specify it is a V3 board and 820 battery ask before ordering.
Older boards are no longer manufactured. If your camera comes with a V1 or V2 board they are from old stock, but that certainly doesn't mean they aren't just as good as the V3 board! The only difference is that old boards were designed for the 520mAh battery so will take longer to charge the new 820mAh battery. V3 boards also have over-voltage protection.

^
Q. The camera does not charge or does not automatically start recording when external power is connected and the Power On - Auto Record is set appropriately. A. External USB power exceeds ~5.25V. Overload voltage protection was added to the V3 hardware (main board stamped with 2014-08-19 or greater) and will protect the camera against up to max. 24V. Earlier designs will be destroyed if voltage exceeds ~5.25V.
-
Mobius' User Guide ( https://www.mobius-actioncam.com/downloads-info/ )
Thank you..However in my case, the camera starts auto record correctly if I connect to the same power source with a shorter cable. It has problem only with the 10 metre cable. I tried with both v2 (lens B) and v3 (lens C) cameras. Both behaved the same way.

0:05 - horizontal comparison B wide vs C narrow
1:14 - vertical comparison B wide vs C narrow
2:26 - horizontal comparison B wide vs C wide
3:35 - vertical comparison B wide vs C wide
4:46 - comparison of C narrow and wide static stills

PS: :)
View attachment 11215

Thanks for the comparision video, i must have watched this video over 10 times already.
Am i the only one who's thinking that the C with Narrow settings is as good as A in terms of clarity, sharpness and readability of license plates but with better light (low light capability that A lacks)? With C on narrow settings you drive at night, with visible license plates and better low light capability that A lacked.
On wide settings, i dont think there is much difference between Lens B and Lens C.. (probably a C tad more brighter but a bit blurry on the license plates / murkier than B).?

I was thinking if getting 2 of the C lenses and having the narrow settings for the front cam for better visibilty of license plates and good low light vision would work, and wide on the rear or probably narrow it down as well, as u dont need that wide angle for rear cam. The idea is to get the best possible output for low light, and tack sharp license plates. I think the C lens nails the low light a bit more better and the feature to narrow down the vision makes the images pop a little more. Am i going off?? please guide.

Last edited:
Sounds like a good idea. At front, I like to see things closer. (More actual view) and not too far away as C lens.

Thank you..However in my case, the camera starts auto record correctly if I connect to the same power source with a shorter cable. It has problem only with the 10 metre cable. I tried with both v2 (lens B) and v3 (lens C) cameras. Both behaved the same way.
Too much loss with the long cable, move the power source closer to the camera and use a shorter cable

Thanks for the comparision video, i must have watched this video over 10 times already.
Am i the only one who's thinking that the C with Narrow settings is as good as A in terms of clarity, sharpness and readability of license plates but with better light (low light capability that A lacks)? With C on narrow settings you drive at night, with visible license plates and better low light capability that A lacked.
On wide settings, i dont think there is much difference between Lens B and Lens C.. (probably a C tad more brighter but a bit blurry on the license plates / murkier than B).?

I was thinking if getting 2 of the C lenses and having the narrow settings for the front cam for better visibilty of license plates and good low light vision would work, and wide on the rear or probably narrow it down as well, as u dont need that wide angle for rear cam. The idea is to get the best possible output for low light, and tack sharp license plates. I think the C lens nails the low light a bit more better and the feature to narrow down the vision makes the images pop a little more. Am i going off?? please guide.

So as i mentioned earlier that a Lens C with Narrow settings can easily replace the Lens A which is a pretty sharp lens but not good in low light, whereas the lens C with capable low light lens with narrow settings can work wonders culminating the benefit to work in low light at night at the same time be tack sharp compared to the Lens B or wider angle of Lens C.
Here are a few comparision snapshots i've taken from @horaceCJ's video. I have marked a few spots that might be of point of interest to verify this.

sb1mqs.jpg

5wiird.jpg

28j9xfk.jpg

zlt2dl.jpg

34r875l.jpg

nlv3f6.jpg

Last edited:
Back