Mobius support thread and Tech Guide (post all problems/help requests here) Read posts #1-8 first

Hi. New Mobius user here. v3 Mobius and Type C lens. Using firmware 2.33 and super capacitor.

In my car, with a 2.1amp USB charger; I too have the problem of the camera turning off if I turn the key but only start the engine at around 5 seconds. Starting straight away, or before or beyond 5 seconds is fine.

I understand the developer and manufacturer are trying to resolve this. Have there been any further developments?

Many thanks

Hi. New Mobius user here. v3 Mobius and Type C lens. Using firmware 2.33 and super capacitor.

In my car, with a 2.1amp USB charger; I too have the problem of the camera turning off if I turn the key but only start the engine at around 5 seconds. Starting straight away, or before or beyond 5 seconds is fine.

I understand the developer and manufacturer are trying to resolve this. Have there been any further developments?

Many thanks
It's not possible to support all situations with the current hardware. 5 secs. is a critical limit.

It's not possible to support all situations with the current hardware. 5 secs. is a critical limit.
Thanks for the replies, guys. I'll just have to try and be mindful of timing. Bit difficult with two kids screaming to get going.

I've just brought a 3D printer, and trying to get someone code the mobius cover's foot print into the 3d software.
Once its ready, we'll print out a couple of covers, and replace it and see if it still has out of focus issues.
The idea is to isolate if the issue is due to the mobius case, or cmos sensor.

I've just brought a 3D printer, and trying to get someone code the mobius cover's foot print into the 3d software.
Once its ready, we'll print out a couple of covers, and replace it and see if it still has out of focus issues.
The idea is to isolate if the issue is due to the mobius case, or cmos sensor.

The issue has nothing to do with the case of the Mobius, so this won't work. The focus troubles occurring with the new iteration of Mobius lenses has to do with the lens module itself which is now FRP (fiber reinforced plastic) rather than solid metal as used in the previous generation. The lens barrels and body of the M12 threaded module appear to be expanding and contracting from temperature variations because the plastic lacks the dimensional stability inherent in the original metal versions.

Last edited:
I wonder if using a micrometer before and after use if you could prove the module is changing dimensions.

I still question if perhaps a few cmos sensors were defective. Banggood claims to have Sold:1094 c lens mobius here.--> http://us.banggood.com/Wholesale-Wa...080P-HD-Mini-Action-Camera-wp-Usa-966178.html There are also other sellers who combined must have sold at least 4 times that amount of c lens mobius cams. I have seen under a dozen reports of changing focus after warming up. If we can assume that at least 4,000 mobius c lens cams have been sold this looks like an aberration not a systemic problem. Even if only 20% of mobius are used as dash cams we should still see a lot more reports of problems if the new module is the problem.

Also, according to rc groups the module was changed for all lenses. That means more than just the C lens should have problems if the module changing dimensions is the culprit. I am still thinking the FRP module could be the culprit. But where are all of the complaints to prove this true?

All I know for sure is I will wait to buy a mobius until this get straightened out.

The issue has nothing to do with the case of the Mobius, so this won't work. The focus troubles occurring with the new iteration of Mobius lenses has to do with the lens module itself which is now FRP (fiber reinforced plastic) rather than solid metal as used in the previous generation. The lens barrels and M12 threaded module appear to be expanding and contracting from temperature variations because the plastic lacks the dimensional stability inherent in the original metal versions.

Thanks for saving all the time doing this unnecessary DIY.

By the way, has anyone here tried the xiaomi yi action cam? Its as good as a GoPro hero 3 black edition and a bit lower in pq compared to the hero 4.
I've seen a couple of youtube videos for both day and night, and the results are pretty good. The cam is under 100 bucks.

I wonder if using a micrometer before and after use if you could prove the module is changing dimensions.

I still question if perhaps a few cmos sensors were defective. Banggood claims to have Sold:1094 c lens mobius here.--> http://us.banggood.com/Wholesale-Wa...080P-HD-Mini-Action-Camera-wp-Usa-966178.html There are also other sellers who combined must have sold at least 4 times that amount of c lens mobius cams. I have seen under a dozen reports of changing focus after warming up. If we can assume that at least 4,000 mobius c lens cams have been sold this looks like an aberration not a systemic problem. Even if only 20% of mobius are used as dash cams we should still see a lot more reports of problems if the new module is the problem.

Also, according to rc groups the module was changed for all lenses. That means more than just the C lens should have problems if the module changing dimensions is the culprit. I am still thinking the FRP module could be the culprit. But where are all of the complaints to prove this true?

All I know for sure is I will wait to buy a mobius until this get straightened out.
I was almost convinced that my Mobius C didn't had a focus shifting problem... an 1 hour recording in the car unther direct sunlight was enough to change my mind :(
Since then I used it to continously record the activity in my office (with motion detect on) and I didn't notice any problem after more than 48 hours of MD... So I guess C buyers don't complain (yet) because they didn't reach the limit :(

Something tells me that as the weather begins to warm up in many locations we will be hearing more and more complaints about this problem.

Regarding the CMOS sensors there have been intermittent reports here and there of defective sensors but they have always been about image quality rather than focus. I guess anything is possible though.

Something tells me that as the weather begins to warm up in many locations we will be hearing more and more complaints about this problem.

That is why i am waiting. Hopefully by the beginning of June reports of problems will be pouring in or they will not. I just wish the mobius developer had kept the metal housing so this potential problem could not even happen.

Seems more people come to this thread to ask about other cameras which clutters Möbius thread with unnecessary/unrelated topics.

New Sensor Module design
The developer is currently so busy that he hasn't been able to keep us up-to-date with regards to the latest developments or been able to send us a sample of the new sensor module yet.
However, as has been mentioned in RCGroups, the current lens base has now been replaced by a different model which contains an FPC ribbon cable connector. This eliminates replacing the whole module in case the cable is damaged by excessive bending.
With the current design, a damaged cable required buying a new sensor module / lens module. It is not possible to resolder a new cable to the existing module. A damaged cable in the new design can be easily and cheaply replaced. The new module requires a new case which will be sent together with the new lens, at least for the time being.
In addition, the metal backplate was found to be a little bit too thin. The backplate in the new base has been made slightly thicker which should prevent the lens becoming out of focus due to warping when there is a large difference in temperature extremes. It is also better in preventing light leakage and even better in releasing heat.

NewSensor.jpg

New Sensor Module design
The developer is currently so busy that he hasn't been able to keep us up-to-date with regards to the latest developments or been able to send us a sample of the new sensor module yet.
However, as has been mentioned in RCGroups, the current lens base has now been replaced by a different model which contains an FPC ribbon cable connector. This eliminates replacing the whole module in case the cable is damaged by excessive bending.
With the current design, a damaged cable required buying a new sensor module / lens module. It is not possible to resolder a new cable to the existing module. A damaged cable in the new design can be easily and cheaply replaced. The new module requires a new case which will be sent together with the new lens, at least for the time being.
In addition, the metal backplate was found to be a little bit too thin. The backplate in the new base has been made slightly thicker which should prevent the lens becoming out of focus due to warping when there is a large difference in temperature extremes. It is also better in preventing light leakage and even better in releasing heat.

NewSensor.jpg

I'm interested in buying the Mobius, but after hearing about this problem, I held off on it. Are you saying the batches banggood has are the updated versions or is it possible he may have the old inventory still?

I don't want to order it and deal with the issue of returns.

I'm interested in buying the Mobius, but after hearing about this problem, I held off on it. Are you saying the batches banggood has are the updated versions or is it possible he may have the old inventory still?

I don't want to order it and deal with the issue of returns.

I don't imagine @Isoprop has any clue about which version Banggood has in stock at the moment. The best thing to do would be to contact whichever vendor you wish to purchase from and confirm what version is in stock before ordering.

Is the new lens module metal or is it still the questionable plastic?

Just the possibility of the set screw deforming the threads so the lens can not be moved is enough reason to go back to metal.

EDIT: Will the old lens extension cables work for the new sensor module?

Last edited:
is it normal that mobius does not fill the whole curd but leaves 600-700mb free space?

Back