Mobius support thread and Tech Guide (post all problems/help requests here) Read posts #1-8 first

So your image is getting blurry as well with barely any heat outside, that's bad. The feeling that I get is that something oily starts to melt when it gets heated up. @Isoprop do you see same thing with your samples?

So your image is getting blurry as well with barely any heat outside, that's bad. The feeling that I get is that something oily starts to melt when it gets heated up. @Isoprop do you see same thing with your samples?
I have no issues whatsoever with my 'C' lens, but I have to admit I haven't used it for some time. People who use their 'C' lens daily will have more experience than I do. My initial tests were done on the workbench with continuous recording for many days so the camera got nice and warm. The image never went blurry or out of focus.
I've only once had an blurry image and that was when I started recording in the cold. After a while the image became blurry but it was due to condensation and disappeared after a while. I was not using a 'C' lens.

I really wish the manufacturer will check what is causing the image problem of C Lens and solve it quickly. Otherwise the Mobius sellings for dashcam use will surely drop fast.

I doubt that the Developer has done much (if any) testing within the confines of a car, with the extremes of temperature & humidity that go with that environment.

Mobius is an ActionCam that happens to also function very well as a DashCam. But what works well on a quadcopter won't necessarily perform well in a car that's been baking in the sun for a while.

If the Developer want to grow sales in the DashCam market, they must expand their group of experts beyond Tom Frank, @Isoprop & therau2000 to include people who actually use Mobius as a DashCam.

I'm sure that the Developer's resources are currently focused on developing a new camera. I hope it'll be even better as a DashCam than Mobius, & that it will be properly tested in cars before being put on sale.

How sure you are about he is developing a new camera? If the manufacturer is focusing on a new camera, this means bye-bye to Mobius as dashcam.

How sure you are about he is developing a new camera? If the manufacturer is focusing on a new camera, this means bye-bye to Mobius as dashcam.
The Developer also makes the Keychain 808 #16, which is still on sale & continues to be developed alongside Mobius.

I think that the next camera will co-exist with #16 & Mobius. My guess is that it'll have more capable hardware, & be larger, heavier & more expensive than Mobius.

I'm convinced it's coming soon, but have no idea whether soon is next month or 6 months away. Tom Frank at RCGroups has dropped a couple of hints that make me sure something interesting is in development.

I just reviewed my footage and I'm not seeing any focus shift on my C Lens. Here's my A next to my C, both on Wide.
Mobius-C.jpg
Mobius-A.jpg

I just reviewed my footage and I'm not seeing any focus shift on my C Lens. Here's my A next to my C, both on Wide.

I'm glad to see these nice sharp images but all these shots are from a gray cloudy day in late Winter/early Spring in the northeastern US. Hopefully, they'll be just as sharp on a bright sunny warm day when summer rolls around.

Last edited:
The rest of that day was sunny and quite warm in the car, I rolled down the window. So after filming all day, there was no effect. I'm guessing since the camera gets warm on its own, there would be very little difference to a warmer outside temperature.

I will post more photos and videos later.

The rest of that day was sunny and quite warm in the car, I rolled down the window. So after filming all day, there was no effect. I'm guessing since the camera gets warm on its own, there would be very little difference to a warmer outside temperature.

I will post more photos and videos later.

So why post images from the cooler cloudy part of the day? The issue here seems to be that the C lens goes out of focus when it gets hot. Either way, I'm of the opinion that the summer heat will be the real test of this lens even if it seems warm in the car now. Maybe that's because I live in New England where it is basically still Winter here. (Tomorrow night the weather report predicts chance of snow and 12 degree Fahrenheit!) Even in the sunshine in my dark blue solar oven of a vehicle, it's not like the summertime heat inside the cab.

So why post images from the cooler cloudy part of the day? The issue here seems to be that the C lens goes out of focus when it gets hot. Either way, I'm of the opinion that the summer heat will be the real test of this lens even if it seems warm in the car now. Maybe that's because I live in New England where it is basically still Winter here. (Tomorrow night the weather report predicts chance of snow and 12 degree Fahrenheit!) Even in the sunshine in my dark blue solar oven of a vehicle, it's not like the summertime heat inside the cab.
It was posting an A vs C comparison photo from that day. The temps were about the same as @horaceCJ 's example above and @MANswers was filming in cold Chicago so problems from not so Summer temps have been posted. Of course more testing needs to be done.

I'm generally a fan of the scientific method and objective testing which tends to work better than subjective casual observation.

It will be interesting to learn what is actually going on here with the C lens. Composite materials are usually more dimensionally stable than the typical polymer plastics used in cheap M12 lens barrels and mounts.

RCgroups says this.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost.php?p=25170905&postcount=2 (below the pictures in the "lens" section)
The CMOS imager and its ribbon cable attach to the lens module via two machine screws, making it possible to replace just the CMOS imager if necessary. The original metal lens module was changed to a fiber reinforced composite version in Jan. 2015, but the design remains the same with a set screw to hold the threaded lens at the ideal focus point, yet allowing it to be released for focus adjustments if necessary. Metal tape around the module and extending onto the rear metal CMOS attachment plate help to remove heat from the CMOS circuitry.

That means if the C lens has problems with heat all new mobius will have the same problem. Just the set screw dimpling the plastic threads from being tightened is enough of a reason to swap back to the metal housing. Not being able to readjust the focus is a problem.

Last edited:
Too bad we don't hear from user's from the Tropics where their daily noon temp is 100+ degrees F and with high humidity.

The original metal lens module was changed to a fiber reinforced composite version in Jan. 2015

Well that's disturbing! I was about to buy a Mobius to replace my Mini0803 but then heard about the C lens. I waited a bit and heard the problems. Been waiting but decided just to get a B or A again and now this. :confused:

If it does turn out to be an issue with the new ones it means that the old A & B ones are potentially soon going to be dashcam classics and worth more on the grey market :D

If it does turn out to be an issue with the new ones it means that the old A & B ones are potentially soon going to be dashcam classics and worth more on the grey market :D

Psssst!...........hey, wanna buy a first gen A module? Meet me around back. :cool:

Last edited:
They are getting harder and harder to locate, someone on eBay claims to sell Möbius B camera, guess how much? $249

Back