Mobius support thread and Tech Guide (post all problems/help requests here) Read posts #1-8 first

Can anyone tell me whether a Mobius will work in the rear window of a station wagon, powered by a 16 to 18 foot cable from the cigarette lighter in the dash? Or is the cable too long?
Thanks much!

Like @mr_milo I use long cables too. I have three of them, one 10 footer and two 15 footers operating a rear Mobius and two other side cameras in a pick-up truck using THESE extremely well made yet inexpensive cables from Monoprice. They work great. Any excess cable is hidden under the seats and rear floor mats. Monoprice also sells a gold version of this beefier cable with an integral ferrite core if there should be any concern with EMI and RFI. The only caveat is to not go longer than 15 feet as one may encounter camera function issues with overly long cables.

Last edited:
New lens module design
All the new lenses now come with a new base where a short cable is plugged in between the module and the PCB. This is the same base I mentioned in an earlier post concerning the 'C' lens. It has a slightly thicker back metal plate than the latest module with the cable attached. The weak point of the original modules was the connection between ribbon cable and module. The new module/cable design should minimize the danger of cracking the cable and/or joints.
There are two versions of the module. Both a normal and 90° rotated base are available. The 90° module is especially interesting if the camera needs to be attached with the controls pointing sidewards instead of up or down, for example for attaching onto the side of a helmet.
The new module requires a new case because it is very slightly larger than the original module.
The original 'B' lens will be discontinued.
The new modules, with or without the lens, are available from the original suppliers and the resellers will most likely soon have them in stock as well.
Tom has announced the new lens module in his RCGroups thread so I won't repeat everything here.

Last edited:
Like @mr_milo I use long cables too. I have three of them, one 10 footer and two 15 footers operating a rear Mobius and two other side cameras in a pick-up truck using THESE extremely well made yet inexpensive cables from Monoprice. They work great. Any excess cable is hidden under the seats and rear floor mats. Monoprice also sells a gold version of this beefier cable with an integral ferrite core if there should be any concern with EMI and RFI. The only caveat is to not go longer that 15 feet as one may encounter camera function issues with overly long cables.

Thanks. And I see by https://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=103&cp_id=10303&cs_id=1030312&p_id=8751&seq=1&format=2 that you can use repeater cables to extend to very long distances.. Most customer feedback says they work very well, though one customer said they do not work for all devices. Company has a chat line where one may find out more.

New lens module design
All the new lenses now come with a new base where a short cable is plugged in between the module and the PCB. This is the same base I mentioned in an earlier post concerning the 'C' lens. It has a slightly thicker back metal plate than the latest module with the cable attached. The weak point of the original modules was the connection between ribbon cable and module. The new module/cable design should minimize the danger of cracking the cable and/or joints.
There are two versions of the module. Both a normal and 90° rotated base are available. The 90° module is especially interesting if the camera needs to be attached with the controls pointing sidewards instead of up or down, for example for attaching onto the side of a helmet.
The new module requires a new case because it is very slightly larger than the original module.
The original 'B' lens will be discontinued.
The new modules, with or without the lens, are available from the original suppliers and the resellers will most likely soon have them in stock as well.
Tom has announced the new lens module in his RCGroups thread so I won't repeat everything here.

This is welcome and exciting news! Not only does it address some important issues of concern to us but the new 90° module offers some intriguing possibilities for dash cam mounting.

Last edited:
Thanks. And I see by https://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=103&cp_id=10303&cs_id=1030312&p_id=8751&seq=1&format=2 that you can use repeater cables to extend to very long distances.. Most customer feedback says they work very well, though one customer said they do not work for all devices. Company has a chat line where one may find out more.

Yes, I've been eyeing those powered active/repeater USB extension cables for quite some time. I've used Mobius cameras for wildlife observation and the option of remotely powering a Mobius from a distance would be most attractive. You can order one as long as 82 feet! If you should buy one please report back with your experience.

Last edited:
Yes, I've been eyeing those powered active/repeater USB extension cables for quite some time. I've used Mobius cameras for wildlife observation and the option of remotely powering a Mobius from a distance would be most attractive. You can order one as long as 82 feet! If you should buy one please report back with your experience.

Thanks. Will do.

Is this new module a third version of the lens C?

It reads like it is the second version rather than third, since it mentions the "new ribbon cable attachment" which is already on the current module.

The dates also appear to be the same as the dates on the second version.

I really like the 90° option, but I'm going to wait three or four months to see if there have been improvements before I think about buying one.

This is getting really confusing as far as how many versions of thick/thicker backplate there are. One thing that makes me happy is this product is not abandoned after certain stage but being improved, hope they do lots of tests first.

The Mobius ActionCam has an internal battery which is good for approx 80 minutes so doesn't have to rely on an external power source.

I'm pretty sure that when set up to be used as a dash cam and using the cigarette socket it, when un-plugged it saves the last file before powering down.

If you have a super capacitor fitted then you need to configure the Mobius using the MobiusManager software you must set the 'Power-Off Disconnected' option to IMMEDIATE or you will lose the last recording, you can find this option in the 'Basic Settings' tab as shown in the image below:

View attachment 13214

Thanks for the reply Richcam,

I have no capacitor fitted. It seems to power down the second I disconnect the ciggy socket, even though I have it set for a 2 minute delay after external power is removed.
Maybe dodgy internal battery?

I have no capacitor fitted. It seems to power down the second I disconnect the ciggy socket, even though I have it set for a 2 minute delay after external power is removed.

The original Mobius came with a 540mAh battery that could run the camera for 60-80 minutes. The newer version of the camera now comes with an 820mAh battery that will run a Mobius for about two hours. If you find that you need to replace the battery on your Mobius be sure to order the new 820mAh version. The camera can work off either battery and it is easy to open the case and plug in a new one.

Did you set power to "Both"? or just external?

The original Mobius came with a 540mAh battery that could run the camera for 60-80 minutes. The newer version of the camera now comes with an 820mAh battery that will run a Mobius for about two hours. If you find that you need to replace the battery on your Mobius be sure to order the new 820mAh version. The camera can work off either battery and it is easy to open the case and plug in a new one.
Thanks Dashmellow.
I normally just let it run in the car. Have no need for the batter as such.

Thanks Dashmellow.
I normally just let it run in the car. Have no need for the batter as such.

I was responding to your statement, "Maybe dodgy internal battery?".

In any case, you do need the internal battery to keep your date and time settings, so if your battery is "dodgy" you should buy a new one.

what is the current recommended firmware version to run? i know people were having issues with the updates and recommended rolling back to an older revision, but that was over a year ago. is the newest firmware stable with good night vision quality? thanks in advance

what is the current recommended firmware version to run? i know people were having issues with the updates and recommended rolling back to an older revision, but that was over a year ago. is the newest firmware stable with good night vision quality? thanks in advance

Personally, after all the work that's gone into it I am pleased with v2.33 (the latest iteration) and would recommend it.

My mobius unit was working fine as a dashcam until I installed a usb extension to hide the wires instead of hanging down going straight to the plug. When I turn on the car the red light will blink and then steady red light. I have to unplug if from the USB and manually turn on the unit without uUSB then wait for the red light to start blinking , then plug it back to USB. Without the USB extension, with just the wire straight to the plug , it works fine. Why is the USB extension giving me a problem?

I am about to "go Mobius" and I'd like some input on how reliable the battery would be sitting in my workvan where the interior temp may reach and stay at 100F for several hours mid-day later this year. I can do the 'cap' mod but I'd rather take things one step at a time and want to start un-modified.

Also if the "C" lens heat/focus issue hasn't been resolved, is the "A" lens heat-stable? I'm aware of the edge distortion which I think would be acceptable. I can change the lens later if I don't like it.

Thanks in advance!
Phil

My mobius unit was working fine as a dashcam until I installed a usb extension to hide the wires instead of hanging down going straight to the plug. When I turn on the car the red light will blink and then steady red light. I have to unplug if from the USB and manually turn on the unit without uUSB then wait for the red light to start blinking , then plug it back to USB. Without the USB extension, with just the wire straight to the plug , it works fine. Why is the USB extension giving me a problem?

Poor quality cable causing too big a voltage drop over its length and/or a power supply not providing enough current over the required amount to cater for the voltage drop over the longer cable.

I am about to "go Mobius" and I'd like some input on how reliable the battery would be sitting in my workvan where the interior temp may reach and stay at 100F for several hours mid-day later this year. I can do the 'cap' mod but I'd rather take things one step at a time and want to start un-modified.

Also if the "C" lens heat/focus issue hasn't been resolved, is the "A" lens heat-stable? I'm aware of the edge distortion which I think would be acceptable. I can change the lens later if I don't like it.

Thanks in advance!
Phil
So far,we did not have problem with Mobius C lens camera?
And if your A lens camera is newest rotatable lens?

Back