Mobius Telephoto Dashcam

That's a good find @country_hick! They may be too shallow in depth to be practical for use in the Mobius cameras though. The lens holders in your link are only 8.2mm in height whereas Mobius lens holders are about 12.5mm in height. (Not sure about other current Mobius lens holders as I haven't measured them but if they are different they are likely to be taller rather than shorter.) Too short a lens barrel may present various problems with MBF, BFL, secure fit within the Mobius camera housing and module slots, as well as general lens stability. So, anyone considering buying these lenses holders should probably do some measuring and testing first.
Mobius are using shorter lens holders for some of their lenses. The Mobius 1 Lens D (identical to Maxi Lens A) and Mobius 1 Lens A2 have shorter holders around 8mm long. On the left of this photo is a Maxi Lens B. On the right is a Mobius 1 Lens D.
1536054098656.png

The different length lens holders affect which of my cameras are more or less suitable for telephoto and varifocal lens installation, in relation to both physical fit and lens stability as you point out.

That's a good find @country_hick! They may be too shallow in depth to be practical for use in the Mobius cameras though. The lens holders in your link are only 8.2mm in height whereas Mobius lens holders are about 12.5mm in height. (Not sure about other current Mobius lens holders as I haven't measured them but if they are different they are likely to be taller rather than shorter.) Too short a lens barrel may present various problems with MBF, BFL, secure fit within the Mobius camera housing and module slots, as well as general lens stability. So, anyone considering buying these lenses holders should probably do some measuring and testing first.

View attachment 41420

Here are some more you can get, If you have a specific size in mind this guy may be able to help you.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/M12...751.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.27424c4ddvXXF5

This was the only site on AliExpress that was willing to help find what I was looking for in a M12 type lens mount. I'm the one who got her to start putting the measurements on the pictures
If you email them tell them Lola sent you.

Last edited:
I found a metal holder on ebay that may be more appropriate to mobius requirements. I do not know what type of metal it is made of.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/311985666579
5 Pcs HD30-18 M12 CCTV Camera CCD Lens Mount Holder 18mm Spacing $7.74 shipped.

22 x 15 x 15mm / 0.9" x 0.6" x 0.6"(L*W*H)

Due to the problems with plastic mounts losing focus in the heat I have rejected the idea of ABS housings that are also available.

I found a metal holder on ebay that may be more appropriate to mobius requirements. I do not know what type of metal it is made of.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/311985666579
5 Pcs HD30-18 M12 CCTV Camera CCD Lens Mount Holder 18mm Spacing $7.74 shipped.

22 x 15 x 15mm / 0.9" x 0.6" x 0.6"(L*W*H)

Due to the problems with plastic mounts losing focus in the heat I have rejected the idea of ABS housings that are also available.

ABS plastic alone can be problematic. ABS with glass fibers and other additives is known as FRP (fiber reinforced plastic) and is very dimensionally heat stable up to almost 180º F. Many M12 lens holders are made from FRP (including recent Mobius models) and should be fine in high temps.

Note the lens holders in the photo of the Mobius modules that @TonyM posted. The bumps and texture you see are the embedded fibers.

holders.png

@Harsh, this lens really impresses. It is the only one I've seen that tempts me to give up on my 6-22mm ƒ/1.6 varifocal which I have become really quite fond of. I may have to buy one and see for myself.

@Harsh, this lens really impresses. It is the only one I've seen that tempts me to give up on my 6-22mm ƒ/1.6 varifocal which I have become really quite fond of. I may have to buy one and see for myself.
That 12mm prime does look good. I figure it would be harder to attach a CPL to it than the 6-22mm lens though.

Easy if you can find a suitable lens cap like what came with one of the telephoto lenses from Minritech.

Easy if you can find a suitable lens cap like what came with one of the telephoto lenses from Minritech.

I have some interesting ideas and experiences in making DIY lens caps from everyday objects. When I get a little time to put something together I will post about it. HINT: I made a really cool and highly workable lens cap for the 2.8-12mm varifocal using a modified bottle cap from a vitamin bottle.

I have some interesting ideas and experiences in making DIY lens caps from everyday objects. When I get a little time to put something together I will post about it. HINT: I made a really cool and highly workable lens cap for the 2.8-12mm varifocal using a modified bottle cap from a vitamin bottle.
The biggest problem appears to be finding a cpl filter that is the right size or easily modified. I can not imagine grinding down a glass cpl filter to a smaller size. Cutting down a plastic lens is likely to have scratches when finished. That leaves the 3d glasses to cut apart.

To make a filter housing from scratch to fit a lens is not easy. I have no clue what size a cell phone cpl would be. I also have no idea how to match threads on a cpl to a smooth lens housing as most dash cams seem to have.

Last edited:
The biggest problem appears to be finding a cpl filter that is the right size or easily modified. I can not imagine grinding down a glass cpl filter to a smaller size. Cutting down a plastic lens is likely to have scratches when finished. That leaves the 3d glasses to cut apart.

To make a filer housing from scratch to fit a lens is not easy. I have no clue what size a cell phone cpl would be. I also have no idea how to match threads on a cpl to a smooth lens housing as most dash cams seem to have.

No, that's not at all how this works. I never said anything about grinding down lenses or modifying a CPL. To quote a few phrases from your post...."I have no clue"....."I also have no idea".

Basically, I'm talking about making a lens caps out of a common bottle cap that fits the existing CPL as it is. The concept is not, as you put it, "finding a cpl filter that is the right size or easily modified"It is finding an everyday object like a bottle cap that fits the CPL. Hang in there, I'll post some info and images.

Last edited:
Can we bring a large size cpl filter to a spec shop to have it 'cut'?

You can buy a plastic polarizing sheet. They are sold for school experiments and things like that

This one is interesting. Available in 15mm, 20mm, 25mm and 25.4mm diameters.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/253064411647
Apparently, they can make sizes to order as well. ("if you want different size, please contact us." )
This is an interesting eBay vendor I've had my eye on for quite some time but have never ordered from.

Also a full metal ringed rotatable 25mm is available (and other smallish sizes)
https://www.ebay.com/itm/183243535522

Last edited:
Back