24542941728_0dfcd66a0e_o.png

C2 (2.3mm, f/2.0)

38382708912_2824568905_o.png

12mm (1/2.5"), f/1.8

38382712072_3b11c52d87_o.png

C2 (2.3mm, f/2.0)

24542937928_54b073755b_o.png

Building and tree cover (smog)

May I ask why 6 or even 8mm lens? They're so fre@kin narrow....

I bought the F1.2 for better night vision, but I don't even like this narrower fov so much.

Otoh, you get bigger numbers and letters on the license plates.... but you'r sacrificing a lot of what's going on in the periferal views left and right....

Although the F1.2 / 4mm has better night performance, I still can't read license plates of even slow upcoming traffic, and therefore I like the F1.4 / 2.8mm better in overall performance, it's about the same FOV as the B (yep still got one), C2 and D lenses, but better recordings in the dark hours.

I have found it difficult to focus these lenses, although that is in part because it's the first time I've done it. The F1.2 seems to have a fairly shallow depth of field, and it takes only a very small turn in the holder to drift out of focus. By comparison, focusing the 130deg lens D was much easier. I think I set these to focus about 5m away on a fence in my garden, but the front of the car is definitely looking sharp in the 4mm screenshots so it's not quite right.

True that, I had to refocus my F1.2 also, hope it's OK now, I have some lens locking rings coming in soon, maybe that helps th lens to actually stay put....

I bought the F1.2 for better night vision, but I don't even like this narrower fov so much.

Otoh, you get bigger numbers and letters on the license plates.... but you'r sacrificing a lot of what's going on in the periferal views left and right....

I have a wide angle camera in the front at all times. Experimenting with these for a secondary camera that can capture license plates at a distance. People side swiping and speeding away is a common occurrence here.

Although the F1.2 / 4mm has better night performance, I still can't read license plates of even slow upcoming traffic, and therefore I like the F1.4 / 2.8mm better in overall performance, it's about the same FOV as the B (yep still got one), C2 and D lenses, but better recordings in the dark hours.
Yes, they're very narrow and not ideal for dashcam use on their own. We're experimenting with different lenses to use in a second camera alongside a wide angle camera.

That F1.4 2.8mm lens looks like a good replacement for a standard mobius lens.

I have a wide angle camera in the front at all times. Experimenting with these for a secondary camera that can capture license plates at a distance. People side swiping and speeding away is a common occurrence here.

Yes, they're very narrow and not ideal for dashcam use on their own. We're experimenting with different lenses to use in a second camera alongside a wide angle camera.

That F1.4 2.8mm lens looks like a good replacement for a standard mobius lens.

Right, I get that, I use 2 Mobius, 1 A119S, and yes still the JooVuu X! But mainly for testing, it's an interesting idea to use one dashcam for total overview, and one for details.... Nice!

it's an interesting idea to use one dashcam for total overview, and one for details.... Nice!
You can put two Mobius cameras together, one with a wide angle lens and another with a telephoto lens, and it's still smaller than the A119 or most other dashcams!

This is the 6mm F1.2 lens as a rear-facing camera.

Last edited:
Super telephoto dashcam, using a 25mm f2.4 lens. I can read number plates from 50m away!

Mobius - 1080p/60?
Good spot. No, it's just normal 1080p30 on the Mobius 1. I must have left the 1080p60 setting turned on in VSDC from the last time I did a video edit.

Rear facing F1.2 6mm Mobius, at night. I was surprised how well you can read front number plates on the cars behind mine.

You can put two Mobius cameras together, one with a wide angle lens and another with a telephoto lens, and it's still smaller than the A119 or most other dashcams!

Easier with the M2 by sticking them together and rotating the view on one, sadly nobody is going to bother experimenting with it though...

Easier with the M2 by sticking them together and rotating the view on one, sadly nobody is going to bother experimenting with it though...
I might... I have two M2's :)

12mm (1/2.5"), f/1.8

Horrible at night. Severe vertical and horizontal banding visible.

Not as good as the 8mm for number plate readability. Plates under direct headlight output the 8mm could resolve, 12mm completely blows them out.

Last edited:
This one looks a lot better but not as good as the 8mm. Talking about number plates, the 8mm looks like it has HDR capabilities compared to this 12mm.

8mm (1/2.7"), f/1.6 & 12mm (1/2.5"), f/1.8

Will set both lens profiles to C before further comparison, 12mm is currently on profile A.

Horrible at night. Severe vertical and horizontal banding visible.

Not as good as the 8mm for number plate readability. Plates under direct headlight output the 8mm could resolve, 12mm completely blows them out.

Should've compared them side by side before trashing the 12mm. Almost identical performance, except 12mm's additional zoom. Also post removing and reattaching the sensor cable, no more artefacts or horizontal banding seen on the 12mm.

Which one would you guys pick between the two? After these videos, lens flare aside, I'm now leaning towards the 12.

8mm

12mm

Combined

8mm

12mm

Combined

8mm

12mm

Combined

Back