Mobius Varifocal Zoom IR

My UV glue should be arriving any day now. If the locking ring fits the housing, plan on using both.

I've tried it but I can't decide yet if it was a success or a failure. On the one hand it works, but the bond is rather poor. Then again it is quite possible that this is the ideal glue for a holding a lens in focus because it is so easy to remove.

I've tried the cement three different times using two different plastic lens holders and a metal barreled lens. The UV cement does not bond well to the plastic lens holder (which might be a good thing) It holds a lens in place after focusing but it is easy to break the bond with a slight twist.

First, I tried this with a very tiny blob of glue and the bond was insufficient. Then I tried using more cement and had better but similar results. Finally, I applied UV cement carefully halfway around the lens between the holder and the barrel. This seems to work fairly well. Still, when I twisted the lens the bond was quite easy to break. The interesting thing that 'may' make this the ideal reversible focus securing glue since it will pop right off cleanly from the plastic. The same was true of removing the cement from the metal lens barrel but simply required a little extra effort to remove the resin from the barrel.

It will require some testing in real world conditions to see how well it holds up, at least for someone like me who often drives on bumpy dirt roads.

Lots of potential here for those of us who like to swap lenses.

I'll be curious to hear what you guys think.

Last edited:
If the locking ring works, why bother with the glue?
I have used a locking ring to set a lens position so that it is not loose in the mount. It relies on friction though and I fear it could work loose over time, especially with repeated hot/cold cycles.

I would also like to use a dab of glue as an additional measure to prevent unintended lens rotation, especially when removing a lens cap for example. Some caps are a tight fit, such as on the Mobius D lens.

Viofo / GitUp use both locking rings and glue in their cameras.

I have used a locking ring to set a lens position so that it is not loose in the mount. It relies on friction though and I fear it could work loose over time, especially with repeated hot/cold cycles.

I would also like to use a dab of glue as an additional measure to prevent unintended lens rotation, especially when removing a lens cap for example. Some caps are a tight fit, such as on the Mobius D lens.

Viofo / GitUp use both locking rings and glue in their cameras.

I think you are worrying a bit too much. I'm of the opinion that if you tighten the locking ring enough it should stay put. If it were me I would probably just go with glue OR a locking ring. When a manufacturer uses a ring and glue they are likely not interested in later swapping lenses. If I were worried about the lens cap loosening a locking ring during removal, I would get into the habit of twisting the lens cap clockwise so that it would tighten the lens and the locking ring rather than loosen them.

Last edited:
If the locking ring works, why bother with the glue?

Was thinking of tightening the ring and applying glue to hold it in place.

As your post suggests, this stuff isn't very strong. A few blobs or even smearing it around the locking ring should work well.

Was thinking of tightening the ring and applying glue to hold it in place.

As your post suggests, this stuff isn't very strong. A few blobs or even smearing it around the locking ring should work well.

Why not if you feel like it? I think I would try the locking ring first without the glue and see what happens, then go with the glue if deemed necessary.

Also, it sounds like you haven't received your UV cement yet, so why not experiment with it after it arrives before making a decision about how best to use it?

Hi! How to remove uv glue from the lens where the ir filter used to be?

I can't remember where but I remember mention of removing IR glue from lenses, try doing a Google search on removing lens glue and see what you can come up with. What specifically is it doing to the lens ?

Now that I think about it, applying heat is usually the method for removing UV mounted filters. I've removed a few IR filters here and there. One was glued directly to a sensor in an old CCTV camera and I once removed an IR-cut filter from an old generic dash cam lens to use it on another lens. (back before I ever used UV cement or knew much about it). UV cement is basically a plastic resin that is hardened with a photo-chemical reaction so heat can soften it. I used a heat gun at the time but a hair dryer should work fine.

When I get some time I'll try a test with some UV cement and a heat gun.

Last edited:
So, I tried the heat gun UV cement experiment.

I applied a glob of UV cement to a piece of clear plastic, cured it and then let it sit for about an hour. It had pretty good adhesion and remained attached even when I tried to dislodge it. If I tried harder, I probably could have peeled it off but it was just a glob of glue on plastic rather than two objects glued together if that makes any difference. Anyway, I briefly used a hair dryer on a high heat setting on the cement. It came off pretty easily. The interesting thing was that when the removed glob of UV cement was still warm I could press it back onto the plastic surface and it re-adhered quite well.

It's been a while since we added to this thread.

My M1 with 2.8-12mm lens is rear-facing in my car, complete with a DIY CPL that helps to see through car windows. In this example, it clearly shows the lady behind me applying her makeup whilst driving. A regular wide-angle dashcam would probably fail to pick out this level of detail.

Interesting to see her car weaving back and forth in the lane. Obviously, she was looking at the mirror on the back of her sun visor, so she wasn't watching the road. Amazing!

Reminds me of something I witnessed a few years ago on the two lane road into town from where I live out in the countryside. A small burgundy colored sedan was coming towards me from the opposite direction and it was weaving back and forth in the lane. At first, I thought the driver was impaired. Then, as it got closer I saw a teenage girl looking intently at her rear view mirror which she had tilted down so she could see herself in it. While looking at herself in the mirror she was holding a cell phone to her ear with her right hand and primping her hair with her left hand. So, while driving at about 40 mph against oncoming traffic in the opposite lane she wasn't watching the road in front of her vehicle at all, couldn't see the road behind her because of tilting the rear-view mirror AND had both hands off the steering wheel! :arghh:

Last edited:
Interesting to see her car weaving back and forth in the lane. Obviously, she was looking at the mirror on the back of her sun visor, so she wasn't watching the road. Amazing!

Reminds me of something I witnessed a few years ago on the two lane road into town from where I live out in the countryside. A small burgundy colored sedan was coming towards me from the opposite direction and it was weaving back and forth in the lane. At first, I thought the driver was impaired. Then, as it got closer I saw a teenage girl looking intently at her rear view mirror which she had tilted down so she could see herself in it. While looking at herself in the mirror she was holding a cell phone to her ear with her right hand and primping her hair with her left hand. So, while driving at about 40 mph against oncoming traffic in the opposite lane she wasn't watching the road in front of her vehicle at all, couldn't see the road behind her because of tilting the rear-view mirror AND had both hands off the steering wheel! :arghh:
Very interesting. I see this sort of action all the time, unbelievable! Only difference here is I see it on I-270 from my home to Frederick, MD. The impact to ones brain is worse here because they do it at 65 to 80 mph, if you beep at them to wake them out of their trance you invariably get the finger!

Where I live it has been illegal to use any hand held device while driving since October, 2015. Nobody seems to pay any attention to the law and of course, since this is a rural area the further you get away from any population center the worse it gets.
The law was enacted after a teenage girl texting on her phone ran over and killed a senior citizen on a bicycle. It'll probably take another incident like that before the police finally start to crack down on this behavior.

Then again, you don't even need a cell phone to be a distracted driver. There's a beautiful 100 mile view along the road I live on and every now and then somebody gets so absorbed in looking at the vista that they drive right off the road into the ditch. Then they come and knock on my door asking for help. It's usually tourists. Sometimes it turns out they were looking at the view AND talking on their phones.

Another good use for my rear-facing Mobius 1 with the 2.8-12mm lens and CPL filter - being able to see through the windscreen of a following car and observe the driver blatantly using a hand-held mobile phone

Back