Mobius

A while back someone asked about how the view looks at 720 with the "B" Lens. Here are 2 stills taken today:

:rolleyes: Any chance of small AOV vs large AOV?

:rolleyes: Any chance of small AOV vs large AOV?

Yes, I was playing with that, but You'll have to wait on that one. Tomorrow if I get the chance I'll try 720 wide view vs. 1080 wide view. Then 720 wide view vs. 720 small view.

One interesting thing is at the medium data rate, 720/30p records at about 7 Mbps.

Yes, I was playing with that, but You'll have to wait on that one. Tomorrow if I get the chance I'll try 720 wide view vs. 1080 wide view. Then 720 wide view vs. 720 small view.

One interesting thing is at the medium data rate, 720/30p records at about 7 Mbps.

Thanks Bob. I was actually hoping for a 1080 small vs large to compare small vs the A lens. I'm buying the Mobius in a few and just want to confirm my choice. I'm thinking and hoping the small AOV will be close to the A lens. The wide is too wide for my needs

GJHS, Sorry I can't help you with that one, I only have the "B" lens. I could do the math and tell you, but that will have to wait...
Survivor is almost on and I never miss that show.

GJHS, Sorry I can't help you with that one, I only have the "B" lens. I could do the math and tell you, but that will have to wait...
Survivor is almost on and I never miss that show.
Sorry Bob, I meant a comparison of the B lens using the small AOV vs the large AOV in 1080. I'm sorry, as you can see I'm not much of a writer. I'm haven't seen much of the B lens using the small AOV. I'm thinking this could be perfect for me.
:( Again sorry for the confusion. :D Thanks for the help

I would love to know if these findings are a one off or other people are finding the FW to be not as good at nighttime.
My camera has 0.47, should I wait for more fixes OR should I upgrade to the latest version?
Here's a sample from my Mobius with various night conditions (v0.59, WDR on, standard bitrate, fliped). The original file was trimmed with RegistratorViewer and audio removed. Must also say that headlights were dirty, the windshield angle is pretty acute and all the small imperfections are causing some artefacts in my movies:

Reactions: Jim
For me 0.57 was a failure, I had to downgrade to 0.47. For now I'll stay with 0.59, it's good enough for me until a 1.xx FW.
I posted this video some time ago:

Reactions: Jim
For me 0.57 was a failure, I had to downgrade to 0.47. For now I'll stay with 0.59, it's good enough for me until a 1.xx FW.
I posted this video some time ago:
That's exactly why it's so difficult for the developer. There's no way he can please everyone!
Yes, you'll have plenty of parameter settings to play around with in v1.xx. It wouldn't surprise me if users then complain they have too much control!

I think at present state ( before "all in one FW released ), its good Mobius has different FW options. Each user can chose whats best for him. Of course he need to go and test each FW and it takes time, but for each user / buyer peace of mind it will be worth those test-n-tries.

I think at present state ( before "all in one FW released ), its good Mobius has different FW options. Each user can chose whats best for him. Of course he need to go and test each FW and it takes time, but for each user / buyer peace of mind it will be worth those test-n-tries.
Yes, but that's not really the point of firmware updates. The latest version should be, and in most cases is, the best version available. Personally, I only use the latest version. Anyway, in the upcoming major release there will not be any reason to use a lower version! It will then be all but impossible to compare the Mobius to other cameras. Any comparison videos will be meaningless unless the Mobius performs better :) and the other camera doesn't have the fine control that the Mobius will soon have.

Personally, I only use the latest version.

Latest, you mean v0.59, - yes, it's sort of better than previous ones, but still have some overexpose or over-light issues at night. I like t obe something in the middle of v0.57 and v.059, - maybe v0.58 ? :

It will then be all but impossible to compare the Mobius to other cameras.

1. NEVER SAY NEVER ;)

2. @jokiin signature: " Nothing's impossible, the impossible just takes longer and costs more ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ "

GJHS,

Here's what my math tells me... The horizontal angle of view with the "A" lens wide angle is 87 degrees. With the "B" lens, the wide view, the horizontal angle of view is 116 degrees. Just taking 1280 out of 1920 should give: 116 degrees x 1280 / 1920 = 77 degrees for the narrow view. So it's a bit less than the "A" lens in wide view. I would have done this calculation last night, but I'm hopelessly addicted to the TV Show "Survivor" and last night was the season ending.

Last edited by a moderator:
GJHS,

Here's what my math tells me... The horizontal angle of view with the "A" lens wide angle is 87 degrees. With the "B" lens, the wide view, the horizontal angle of view is 116 degrees. Just taking 1280 out of 1920 should give: 116 degrees x 1280 / 1920 = 77 degrees for the narrow view. So it's a bit less than the "A" lens in wide view. I would have done this calculation last night, but I'm hopelessly addicted to the TV Show "Survivor" and last night was the season ending.

Thanks for calculations, but can you provide "formula" how you did it, because in real world taking pixels + lens AOV then calculating via formula - the result in most cases is different from reality.
I relay on THIS and THIS
Also in some cases FOV changes depending on the FPS, the less FPS - the wider is horizontal angle, of course it does not apply to Mobius when shooting at constant 30Fps.

Last edited by a moderator:
My calculation was a simple ratio problem. Think of it this way, we know the 1920 pixels covers 116 degrees. What if we only looked at 1/2 the number of pixels or 960 pixels, that would cover 116 degrees / 2 = 58 degrees. Now if the left 960 pixels covers 58 degrees and the right 960 pixels covers 58 degrees, the total must be 116 degrees.

1280 pixels / 1920 pixels x 116 degrees = 77.33333... degrees or just say 77 degrees.

I can't see how the FPS (Frames Per Second) can change the angle of view. Except for the fact that in the Mobius it's impossible to convert 1920x1080 to 1280x720 at 60 FPS, but it could be done at 30 FPS. This was a case of there's too much data to crunch to convert it at 60 FPS, but the processor is fast enough to do it at 30 FPS.

Also, If I remember correctly, there's a difference between how different countries make note of the fractional number, in the USA we would write PI as 3.14159 but in other countries it's written as 3,14159 sorry, but I can't remember which do it one way and which do it the other way.

Agreed. Of course speaking as a customer of two Mobius our input is only to aid the developer and make the Mobius all it can be, not complain.

If we notice that the setting were better or worse on previous firmware then I hope it is all taken constructively. As collectively the Mobius has a massive customer and tester (fan base) feedback and maker/customer interaction that some companies could only dream of.

@Isoprop Do you think the new firmware will be ready in time for Christmas? That would be a very nice present.
That's asking me too much :). I've often thought a version was ready and then we found issues and it's release was delayed for weeks!
Tom has done some really good image quality testing and things are now looking very good. There are still a few minor points, but maybe those will be cleared up later.
If I were a politician I'd be able to give you a convincing answer. Unfortunately I'm not a politician, so can't give you an answer. The best I can do is say: we'll see ;)

My calculation was a simple ratio problem.

OK, I see now. But in reality doing physical measurements, - results can be different. Not that much, but still.

I can't see how the FPS (Frames Per Second) can change the angle of view.

... this does not apply to Mobius, as I mentioned "in some cases" ( depending on cpu and firmware ), - FOV, or AOV can be different if FPS changed.
This info I took from reputable Russian reviewer tests of Livue LB-100

So this FPS vs AOV does not apply to Mobius, just wanted to point out theory vs practice.

Last edited:
Latest, you mean v0.59, - yes, it's sort of better than previous ones, but still have some overexpose or over-light issues at night. I like t obe something in the middle of v0.57 and v.059, - maybe v0.58 ? :

1. NEVER SAY NEVER ;)

2. @jokiin signature: " Nothing's impossible, the impossible just takes longer and costs more ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ "
Ah, but I specially said all but impossible :)
I don't know who will have the time to make a comparison. With the new firmware, you'll have well over a million possible combinations just for the exposure and color control!
I'm sure the Mobius would never withstand so many button presses and RAM write cycles....

that can work against you with some people, getting these settings right is not simple so people could just as easily muck things up, assume you'll have some sensible preset options though to take the guesswork out

@Isoprop Do you think the new firmware will be ready in time for Christmas? That would be a very nice present.
I can see the light at the end of the tunnel... hopefully :)

Tom Frank said:
They are a verified re-seller, as noted in post #2 in the Mobius Support thread in this forum, which I will be re-opening shortly, probably later today. What was your concern?
(Dec 13, 2013, 07:53 PM)

that can work against you with some people, getting these settings right is not simple so people could just as easily muck things up, assume you'll have some sensible preset options though to take the guesswork out
That's why the new parameter settings are in the Advanced tab. There are also presets, of course. For those who aren't familiar with these types of settings there's absolutely no reason to even select the advanced tab. However, those who do understand what the settings do will be able to use the maximum potential of what the DSP and lens module can offer.

Back