Mobius

In what may be a first for the Mobius ;) I took my Mobius (I have the "B" lens) out of my car and went inside Fiesta Floats to shoot a short video of some of the Rose Floats on Day 1 of decorating for the Rose Floats.

The Mobius was placed on a small table top tripod and I walked around with it. Overall it did a reasonable job of showing the Floats, but there's an odd colored halo around the lights. I assume this is due to an aberration from the lens. For those who watch the Rose Parade, the Floats look like heck on day 1 because they lack the texture from all the seeds and other plant material. If I shoot a second video on day 4 or day 5, the floats will look a lot better.

For the first time I used my GPS with the Mobius. I had heard reports of RF Noise from the Mobius blocking the GPS Signal, but there wasn't any problems with RFI (Radio Frequency Interference) from the Mobius. I'm not sure if I heard wrong OR they've reduced the RFI from the Mobius.

I experienced the issue on my trip. Moving the GPS a foot+ away solved it.

Step 2 finally released!

It's been a long wait, but Step 2 firmware has finally been released.
The new firmware now supports Motion Detection and finite Color and White Balance control.
Setting the parameters is easy with mSetup or the Android app.
The firmware should be treated as work in progress.
The Windows GUI also supports the new #16 (720p) V3 keychain camera. This camera will replace the V2 as soon as V2 stocks run out.
The V3 #16 now supports USB Auto-Power-On and uses the same cable as the Mobius. The latest v1.xx #16 firmware is compatible with ALL #16 models (V1, V2 and V3).
So, yes, the developer has recently been doing a lot of work, and we've been doing a lot of testing! There's even a watch #16 camera, although I'm not sure if it's officially available yet.
Instead of duplicating a lot of information, you can find Tom's original announcement at http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost.php?p=27035363&postcount=5446
Very exciting news!

Off topic:
The latest v1.xx #16 firmware is compatible with ALL #16 models (V1, V2 and V3).
Any ETA on the release of this FW? Will it repair the bugs reported so far for the v0.67?

Off topic:

Any ETA on the release of this FW? Will it repair the bugs reported so far for the v0.67?
With a bit of luck the FW should be posted today. I know that Tom has visitors, but I'm sure he'll post the firmware as soon as he has a moment to spare.
As you may be able to imagine, we've had an awful lot of testing to do with the Mobius, the new V3 #16 hardware and the #16 watch camera so we haven't had much time to test V1 or V2 hardware as well. I'm sure Tom will post more information and also the issues that are still pending.
The new firmware should be considered a major release since it supports both the V3 and all previous hardware.
Currently, Nr16Setup doesn't support the new firmware. I'm not sure if I'll be able to have the GUI ready today or much later. It will definitely be a while until I have the 14 language DLLs ready.
However, mSetup fully supports #16 v1.xx firmware and all #16 hardware so that's the GUI you should use at present, unless you want to set the parameters by hand ;)
The GUI also shows the hardware version, but obviously only if it's v3 or above.
Once again, all these changes prove how dedicated the developer is to supporting his (previous) products.
The transition from #16 V2 to V3 hardware may be difficult for some, but I think it's worth it. At last the Mobius and the #16 share the same (standard) USB cable for video-out, a very wise decision.
Sorry if this post is a bit off-topic here.

Do you have more info (instructions) about new motion detection feature of Mobius? (I could not find it in the updated manual)
I do not understand exactly how it works... There are levels of sensitivity and also times for going to standby -> this is clear for me, but I am interested in how the motion detection works. For some other dash cams, the motion triggers recording of a specific file length, then it stops; another clip is started if motion is still present, so that causes seconds losses in between clips (this is why instructions say that motion detection should not be used for normal driving). Is it the same for Mobius?

Do you have more info (instructions) about new motion detection feature of Mobius? (I could not find it in the updated manual)
I do not understand exactly how it works... There are levels of sensitivity and also times for going to standby -> this is clear for me, but I am interested in how the motion detection works. For some other dash cams, the motion triggers recording of a specific file length, then it stops; another clip is started if motion is still present, so that causes seconds losses in between clips (this is why instructions say that motion detection should not be used for normal driving). Is it the same for Mobius?

if using for dashcam purposes (guess that's why you're here) you'll find the motion detect not really suitable if you want continous recording of where you have been, there will be times when recording would stop, stuck in traffic etc

guess that's why you're here
Isn't this the "DashCamTalk" forum? :) :) :)

Well, even if I am blocked in traffic there should be some small amount of motion in the picture... so no problem from this perspective.
But I am interested about how it works, questions like this: if I am blocked in traffic and camera stops recording, when first motion is detected, will it be caught on camera? or it will take one-two seconds for the camera to start recording and I will loose the first motion?
It is the same for parking: if the camera is detecting motion, then it should save recording starting few second before motion was detected. Otherwise, I do not see any use of motion detection feature for "Mobius-as-a-dashcam".

it won't capture anything pre motion, and cutting off when motion stops would be a common occurrence, lets be fair though, this is a very cheap camera and the dashcam capabilities are a bonus but not its primary purpose, even some much more expensive cameras don't work any better for motion detect

I am not expecting more from this camera as a dashcam, I am just trying to understand how the existing feature is working (as it is not described in the manual) to see if it is useful for my purposes.

I am not expecting more from this camera as a dashcam, I am just trying to understand how the existing feature is working (as it is not described in the manual) to see if it is useful for my purposes.

would be more useful for an RC aircraft I expect, could be setup and saving from recording nothing until taking off

I tested a litle bit the motion detect feature because I would like to use it in parking mode / sureveillance mode. It's working similar with the 808#16:
- when motion is detected (I used only the highest level) the recording will start immediately (standby led is turning off and starts blinking). Comparing computer clock and time on the recording (previosuly synchronized clocks) I estimated a delay less than 1 seconds. But it's not exact measuring... Anyway, much better than the #16. I assume is the same delay as when you press the Shutter button to start a recording.
- when motion stops the camera will record for another few seconds as specified by the Motion Timeout parameter.
- when camera is in motion detect standby and the power is cut, the camera will power off (according to "Auto Off with External Power disconnected" parameter)
- when camera is recording and the power is cut it will not shutdown. I consider this a bug, but I don't really care. @Isoprop maybe you want to look into this? (I attached my configuration).

Attachments

You'll always lose a second or two when motion is FIRST detected, after which the camera will continue recording until it reaches the timeout period (5, 15, 30 or 60 secs.). If motion is detected during this period the camera will restart the timeout (5, 15, 30 or 60 secs.) and continue recording to the current video file. If motion is not detected during the timeout period the camera will close the current video file and go into motion detect standby mode. As soon as motion is detected again the process will be restarted and you will again loose a second or two while the camera wakes up from motion detect standby mode before starting to record.

I tested a litle bit the motion detect feature because I would like to use it in parking mode / sureveillance mode. It's working similar with the 808#16:
- when motion is detected (I used only the highest level) the recording will start immediately (standby led is turning off and starts blinking). Comparing computer clock and time on the recording (previosuly synchronized clocks) I estimated a delay less than 1 seconds. But it's not exact measuring... Anyway, much better than the #16. I assume is the same delay as when you press the Shutter button to start a recording.
- when motion stops the camera will record for another few seconds as specified by the Motion Timeout parameter.
- when camera is in motion detect standby and the power is cut, the camera will power off (according to "Auto Off with External Power disconnected" parameter)
- when camera is recording and the power is cut it will not shutdown. I consider this a bug, but I don't really care. @Isoprop maybe you want to look into this? (I attached my configuration).
Interesting! It's been a while since I tested motion detection but I'll certainly take a look using your config file. Unfortunately, that will be next year. I have a tremendous amount of work to catch up on first.
Offhand, I can't even tell you how the camera should function when power is removed!

You'll always lose a second or two when motion is FIRST detected, after which the camera will continue recording until it reaches the timeout period (5, 15, 30 or 60 secs.). If motion is detected during this period the camera will restart the timeout (5, 15, 30 or 60 secs.) and continue recording to the current video file. If motion is not detected during the timeout period the camera will close the current video file and go into motion detect standby mode. As soon as motion is detected again the process will be restarted and you will again loose a second or two while the camera wakes up from motion detect standby mode before starting to record.
Thanks for info; it answers to my question. The main advantage for Mobius motion detection feature (for dashcam use) seems to be that if it detects motion during the timeout, it will continue recording; other cameras are just stopping the video and start again (loosing 1-2 seconds).
Any chance in future that "Motion detection" mode could be toggled from one of the buttons?

seems to be that if it detects motion during the timeout, it will continue recording; other cameras are just stopping the video and start again (loosing 1-2 seconds).

standard feature of motion detect, have yet to see one that stops if motion is ongoing

Standard feature? I did not know that, sorry. I had the feeling that it is not standard, as I've read some time ago also on forums about video that stops after a predefined time...I do not remember where, but I will try to find it again :)

Unless Im in traffic with no movement it would detect the whole journey wouldn't it? :confused:

depends how sensitive the motion detect is, it's a common complaint with a lot of cameras that it turns off if not enough movement or the movement is too far away to register correctly

best to get feedback from someone that has one as to how well it works like this

Reactions: Jim
So a hypothetical question, could I just leave the Mobius in motion detection mode all the time? Unless Im in traffic with no movement it would detect the whole journey wouldn't it? :confused:
I had the 808#16 set up like this and it was working pretty well (besides some related bugs). Maybe next week I'll test Mobius longer to see if there are no gaps between consecutive clips or other bugs.

Reactions: Jim
Back