Mobius

well at least there's presets, good chance the people that don't know what they're doing will spend their time fiddling around in the advanced settings :p

That's why the new parameter settings are in the Advanced tab. There are also presets, of course. For those who aren't familiar with these types of settings there's absolutely no reason to even select the advanced tab. However, those who do understand what the settings do will be able to use the maximum potential of what the DSP and lens module can offer.

When you next update the GUI, may I request that the 'MouseOver ToolTips' for AOV be expanded in detail, e.g Lens A Narrow Mode 1080p/30 = 75° HFOV, 720p/60 = 46° HFOV, etc.

As you know, each lens has 6 permutations... 1080p/30 & 720p/30 & 720p/60 available in Wide or Narrow FOV.

I think this aspect of Mobius functionality sets it apart from many other cameras, & deserves more attention. Since Mobius sellers don't make this known to buyers, & owners often don't read manuals, the GUI is the perfect place to inform users of how significantly the AOV toggle affects the video they record.

When you next update the GUI, may I request that the 'MouseOver ToolTips' for AOV be expanded in detail, e.g Lens A Narrow Mode 1080p/30 = 75° HFOV, 720p/60 = 46° HFOV, etc.

As you know, each lens has 6 permutations... 1080p/30 & 720p/30 & 720p/60 available in Wide or Narrow FOV.

I think this aspect of Mobius functionality sets it apart from many other cameras, & deserves more attention. Since Mobius sellers don't make this known to buyers, & owners often don't read manuals, the GUI is the perfect place to inform users of how significantly the AOV toggle affects the video they record.
All six possibilities are accurately listed with a short explanation in the new ToolTip and new Manual, so your request has been acknowledged :). The term AOV is no longer used and has been replaced by FOV.
I agree, even without the Advanced settings, the Mobius has great features not found in any other similar cameras and should be mentioned by the sellers. Unfortunately, I have no influence there!
Like you, I love the possibility to select an alternative FOV without any noticeable loss in quality. A very useful function which I'm sure other developers will soon copy!
The developer wants the very best image quality possible and will not sacrifice quality for better marketing figures which aren't accurate and don't tell the true story.

Hello !I'm a newbie here and I have doubts in choosing the model of the two of Mobius : normal or wide lens ? I'm interested more in the landscapes view than in sharpness of the plates for example , but I am disappointed from distorting effect at the edges in general at dashcams. Few days ago , I was determined by the profesionist advice from Niko to buy GT 300w or GT 680w . In the end , I found out from here as well about the Mobius.the cons of the Mobius would be for me the fisheye effect at least for the wide lens (the night view medium quality might be accepted ) . I don't understand if the fisheye effect can be reduced/cancelled from the settings/actual /future firmware or somehow the lens changement by yourself with other lens bought ? A general question : at the same physical lens properties (same angle) , does the manufacturer/brand count in fisheye( more or less) effect ? Ex. is the wide lens Mobius' fisheye effect the SAME as other with the SAME angle lens ? (I don't know an example with aprox same angle lens for comparison ).

The wider the image the bigger the fisheye effect. It is impossible to create a wide lens with no fisheye effect for dashcams. A lens with this properties can cost hundreds of dollars.
If you want no distortion you need "normal lens".
The lens A of the Mobius doesn't have a big fisheye effect and here you can see a comparison with a normal lens camera and here with a wider lens camera, almost the same as Mobius lens B.

enjoy,
Mtz

Thank you,Mtz.If I well understand ,bassicaly the advantage of the wide angle lens would be that , in the near field of view , when the far view comes closer to the dash cam ,now the image contains more objects at the edges , with the disadvantage of the curved vertical "lines". Please, answer me if I judge well , in the far field the image will be the same with standard or wide lens (wouldn't I lose anything of the incoming view) ? Is the image "suppliment" that you recieve with wide lens existent only in the near field ?

Went into @spytec this week to get the Mobius, just waiting for stock. They also had the Innovv C1, which is quite a nice looking camera. I think between them, the Mobius wins for size and minimalistic looks. The C1 is fancy and might attract attention attached to a windshield.
Nice guy at SpyTec, said he would hold for me. I will update my experiences after it's all set up

Is the image "suppliment" that you recieve with wide lens existent only in the near field ?
You are almost right. A wide lens is always wide, not only for close objects but you must consider that the objects are smaller so reading license plate is better with normal lens.

enjoy,
Mtz

hi guys,

i ordered the mobius a few days ago, i'm gonna use it mainly as dashcam, but also as action cam for cycling/ski.

i know that while cycling there is a lot of vibrations going on, and the mobius lacks image stabilization.

does image stabilization can be implemented in the mobius via firmware update?

if not, which image stabilization program you guys recommend? (i know the youtube one, but don't like the "floating" effect it makes)

thanks in advance!

Just for fun I took my Mobius car cam and tried it out as a Mobius Train Cam. ;)

The video is an edited version of three different runs with the camera in three different places. Every cut away shot matches where each camera would be at that point in the ride.

Thanks Bob. Was that the B lens on Large at 1080/30?

Yes, it was the "B" Lens at the widest setting. It was shot at 1080/30p, but edited and uploaded at 720/30p.

Ok after a lot of research and asking a lot of questions (Thanks everyone :D) I arrived home and could buy my Mobius. I have to say, even after watching a lot of videos, the picture amazed me. I am impressed with the sharpness. Mounting was easy, except for the straight usb cable which made mounting it perfectly in the center impossible. I mounted it as close as possible.

I chose the A lens after much debate because I plan to use the camera outside the car and liked the more SLR like view.

A big thanks to @spytec, who made the buying process pleasant. I will post my experiences on the vendor section

For the first time I used my GPS with the Mobius. I had heard reports of RF Noise from the Mobius blocking the GPS Signal, but there wasn't any problems with RFI (Radio Frequency Interference) from the Mobius. I'm not sure if I heard wrong OR they've reduced the RFI from the Mobius.

Mounting was easy, except for the straight usb cable which made mounting it perfectly in the center impossible. I mounted it as close as possible.

All you need to get is an 'up angle' extender like this to solve that issue.

For the first time I used my GPS with the Mobius. I had heard reports of RF Noise from the Mobius blocking the GPS Signal, but there wasn't any problems with RFI (Radio Frequency Interference) from the Mobius. I'm not sure if I heard wrong OR they've reduced the RFI from the Mobius.
I've got a double DIN head unit with GPS in my car, plus front and rear mounted Mobius - I've never had any problems. My wife and I also both use our smart phones as GPS in her car with no problems (one Mobius in her car.) PS: Thinking about it we've actually used three different model mobile phones as GPS in her car and none have had any problems.

Tomorrow through the end of the year my Mobius is going to get a lot of driving on it. Every day I'll be driving to Irwindale to help decorate the Torrance Rose Float. :)

I have a question (again :D). I noticed on my footage that there seems to be what can best be described as dust spots on the footage. I thought it was just a dirty windshield until looking at other footage on the web.

You can see what I saying, early in the tunnel. Is this normal? I also notice the night footage is good, yet grainy like fine sand.

Thanks again

I looked at some of my night footage and I do see the spots. Either the spots are dirt spots on the windshield OR I'm seeing spots because dust on the lens. In my footage as I move away from the street lights, the spots disappear.

Back