More newbie questions

For the halos, can you pull over and point the camera at the streetlights without the windscreen in the way? That will prove if it is the glass or the camera, then you can stop worrying about one of them

That advice is paramount to eliminate potential screen issues

The cam is mounted on the windscreen/windshield. Unfortunately I cannot take a pic out of an open window. In any case, I have seen many other videos from other makes that have a similar halo around bright lights during the night. So I am going to accept that the halos will be there. Thank you all for your suggestions.

I tried the CPL test recommended on our led tv. The view becomes nearly blacked out at about 80 degrees of rotation, but is clear at 90 degrees of rotation. Maybe my cleaning was a bit too energetic?

I tried the CPL test recommended on our led tv. The view becomes nearly blacked out at about 80 degrees of rotation, but is clear at 90 degrees of rotation. Maybe my cleaning was a bit too energetic?

the LCD panels are always one of the three orientations, 45, 90 0r 180, if it's black at 80 suggests you should rotate the lens slightly until it blacks out at the 90 degree mark otherwise it won't work as intended in the car

VIOFO, if you are watching this thread, I have some suggestions:
1) the quick start guide lacks some information, e.g. how to use FCWS and LDWS and what to expect (or not expect) from these features. Also, a `how do I ` section explaining camera operations on a per function basis. You really need a manual, not just a quick-start guide.
2) put raised dots on the buttons so that they may be used easier.
3) fix the halo issue at all resolutions.
4) where possible, use either a a) faster processor, or b) a multi-core processor. This would make FCWS and LDWS processing better. True, the camera software would become multi-threaded, but most processors are headed that way anyway.

First time poster, but I have been looking at this forum for a while. My dashcam has been installed for two days. Firmware is 1.7, memory card is 128 gig Samsung card. Questions:
LDWS and FCWS don't work. Nothing. Turned off WED. Is there a setup routine for these, or should they work right out of the box?
Picture has halos. Thumbprint on the polarized lens. How to clean this off?
This is a start...

I find a video about cleaning len on Youtube. FYI
You may update the latest version(V2.2), and the LDWS and FCWS could work well with your car.
http://support.viofo.com/support/solutions/articles/19000047224-viofo-a119s-car-dash-camera-firmware
For updating instruction, please take this video for your reference:

I have had my dash cam now for nearly a month. I minimized the halos on the video at night by monkeying with exposure. The Samsung EVO 128 GB card has worked fine, I have no issues with it. I did manage to fill it up, and the oldest files started to be deleted. I am currently running firmware version 2.2. LDWS still does not work; it is currently disabled. FCWS does beep at me, but not reliably. I suspect there is still some development going on there as there is no description as to how to use it asides just turning it on.
I am quite satisfied with my purchase.

I have had my dash cam now for nearly a month. I minimized the halos on the video at night by monkeying with exposure. The Samsung EVO 128 GB card has worked fine, I have no issues with it. I did manage to fill it up, and the oldest files started to be deleted. I am currently running firmware version 2.2. LDWS still does not work; it is currently disabled. FCWS does beep at me, but not reliably. I suspect there is still some development going on there as there is no description as to how to use it asides just turning it on.
I am quite satisfied with my purchase.
LDWS and FCWS are more gimmicks in dash cams than useful features. Best to just turn them off and move on.

Back