Motion detection

Finnman

Reaction score
Country
Finland
I bought couple of days ago dash cam branded S-Vision Compact C3 (it's based on NT96650 processor and DV Turnkey platform).

There is a motion detection functionality available via system menu. However when I put it on, dash cam stops recording when car is stationary i.e. traffic lights where there are not much activity on the screen. Once I accelerate, unit starts recording 3 seconds later. Also this motion detection doesn't work well in dark, because then there is not enough activity on the screen - once again, recording stops.

I thought this motion detection functionality would apply when car is parked and unit uses its internal battery; when someone approaches the car, recording starts. Apparently that's not the case.

If you have motion detection function on your dash cam, how does it work?

One more question: do you know if there is any way updating the firmware for this unit (NT96650 / DV Turnkey)?

Juha

Most Budget Novatek based DashCam products do not have reliable Motion Detection/Parking Mode unfortunately. (especially in low light)
They don't pre-buffer video to capture the moments leading up to the triggered event either. (like the Zoran based Panorama does so wonderfully)

Last edited:
Some cams are better than others. The Mobius gives you the option to set the sensitivity for low light and a motion timeout allowing the camera to continue recording when motion stops. The SJ4000 with a similar processor/sensor has Motion Detect with only an on/off option, that doesn't work very well at all and hardly recognizes people walking past the car. So it's more than just based on the processor.

Many cam that have Motion Detect use it full time and will work when connected to external power or battery.

Thanks guys! I guess I should not expect flawless functionality for the motion detection. This was indeed quite cheap camera (less than 70 euros) and the most important for me is adequate video quality also in low light conditions and no gaps between clips. So far I've been satisfied with video quality but I'll have to do more testing to see if there are any gaps.

Back