My A119 V2

Ah...ok thanks!

Inviato dal mio SM-G935F utilizzando Tapatalk

Last edited:
Thanks @harsh! That's definitely authentic 3M VHB 5952 tape, not the questionable, problematic charcoal grey stuff that's been shipping with the GC for quite some time. When you described the A119 tape as grayish black I wondered if it was the same.

The cable clips come with the grey stuff, awful quality.

Last edited:
My A119 V2 arrived today, and I discovered another unpleasant surprise. I was under the impression that this camera supported the EXFAT file system as they claim 64 GB card support. When I read the manual to find out I'm supposed to reformat the cards larger than 32GB to FAT32.
I updated the firmware in the camera to viofo 3.3 (any difference between VIOFO 3.3 and SPYTEC 3.3?), and it looks like it was able to format my 128GB card, but it did format it as FAT32.
The reason I am disappointed is that it is a violation of the SD card specification to format any card larger than 32 GB in anything but EXFAT, and Windows goes out of its way to make formating a larger card in FAT32.

Maybe Exfat is creating more problems to the users compared to Fat32.
I have no problems with 128GB Fat32 cards. I see standard is not important, for me is important the camera to do its job.

enjoy,
Mtz

Every time I plug one of my cameras or the microSD reader into my computer, windows complains about a problem with the card and wants to fix it. I just ignore it as I think it's related to Fat32. But I can see why some people might be concerned by the error messages.

Using fat32 for a large storage device is only a problem when you're storing tons of tiny files (ie under 1mb). Since the average file on a dashcam is several hundred megs, this is not an issue.

Also I've never heard of a standard that says a device must be formatted with a particular file system before. Do you have a link?

Using fat32 for a large storage device is only a problem when you're storing tons of tiny files (ie under 1mb). Since the average file on a dashcam is several hundred megs, this is not an issue.

Also I've never heard of a standard that says a device must be formatted with a particular file system before. Do you have a link?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secure_Digital
Scroll down to the SDXC section where it mentions EXFAT as being manditory.

From that article:

The SDXC specification mandates the use of Microsoft's proprietary exFAT file system,[105]which is supported only by some proprietary operating systems.

The fact that it's proprietary is probably why most dashcams don't use it. Licensing fees and whatnot. Also, in the very next paragraph of the article...

Because the host views the SD card as a block storage device, the card does not require MBR partitions or any specific file system. The card can be reformatted to use any file system the operating system supports.

So there's nothing illegal or really all that unusual about the camera formatting it as fat32. I've intentionally formatted USB drives and SD cards as ext2/3 for use with Linux systems because it fit my needs better. The card is just a dumb (in that it doesn't really have much of its own smarts other than wear leveling or trim functions) block device so it doesn't care what format is on it.

Also I haven't seen windows complain about removable media except when it actually did have an issue. So I would format it in the camera and if the message came back, test the SD card with h2testw to make sure it's not failing.

Last edited:
The licensing fee is why they don't use it, but it is a violation of the agreement that manufacturers must sign to use SD technology if they allow their device to format a card larger than 32 GB with something other than exFAT. They can get in trouble, and loose their license if they let their device format cards larger than 32 GB with FAT32.
As much as I dislike the proprietary nature of exFAT, I was able to find a GPL licensed driver for exFAT and I can read and write those SD cards on Linux.
It is not integrated as well as other disk formats, and it is a pain to format a SD card in exFAT, but it is possible.
The problem as I see it is that I want to use very large cards so I have a very large record time, and I don't have to remember to hit a button when I am driving and something youtube worthy happens. If something youtube worthy is happening, I want to concentrate on my driving, and let the camera take care of capturing it.

it's mandatory for the card manufacturer to supply SDXC cards with exFAT file system, it's not mandatory for them to stay that way and they can be reformatted to other file systems without issue

the license fee is exorbitant but that's not the main stumbling block, for us the main issue is the implementation is poor on most chipsets and it's less stable than FAT32 is, stick with what works

The problem as I see it is that I want to use very large cards so I have a very large record time, and I don't have to remember to hit a button when I am driving and something youtube worthy happens. If something youtube worthy is happening, I want to concentrate on my driving, and let the camera take care of capturing it.

if you were hoping that the exFAT file system was going to allow you to record in endless chunks for as long as you want you'd be disappointed anyway, dashcams don't work that way, even the very few that have bothered implementing exFAT support still have 4GB file size limitations

Hi guys ... in the end I did not understand what was the problem of the other day the user had problems with the formatting of the micro SD.
Now a new micro SD 64 GB ( Samsung Evo Plus U3 ) has come to me; I put it in my pc and tested it as speed. I checked the format and is exFAT, if I insert it in Viofo A119, can it cause problems or should I put it in the dashcam to make "Format Memory" so I format it in the format that she wants? And what size do you want her to be the exFAT or the FAT32?
Thank you :)

Back