My brand new SG9665GC V3 is not performing as expected!

Could find only few moments from that test drive with more less good conditions for focus test. Below few screenshots.
Although our weather now is not hot at all ( as usually ), but if after long term test in hot climate you will find something unusual, no worries I am going to look after you.

P1.jpg

P2.jpg

P3.jpg

Ok, I haven't saved much clips using my first SG9665gc V3, but I've tried to make an audio comparison with the replaced SG:

In the next video (no eva pad) you can hear me adjusting the cam & lens and you can actually hear the pitch change at a certain point (the "blocked ear" rumble effect disappears), when I'm tilting the lens up a bit, but it's almost impossible to find this sweet spot without immediate audio feedback. Even then, unhooking the cam might nudge the lens adjustment a tiny bit and bring the rumble back.
(My first SG didn't have a sweet spot like this...)

0:08: nudge up, rumble gone
0:10: nudge back down
0:13-0:29: rumble
0:33: nudge up
0:33-0:59: no/less rumble, then fiddled with it again
0:59-1:15: rumble is back.

Although our weather now is not hot at all ( as usually ), but if after long term test in hot climate you will find something unusual, no worries I am going to look after you.

Thank you. Temperature forecast for the next 14 days is unfortunately way below average right now... (10-15°C, mixed clouds), so I won't be able to test and compare like I did a few posts back for another 2 weeks...

Ok, I haven't saved much clips using my first SG9665gc V3, but I've tried to make an audio comparison with the replaced SG:

In the next video (no eva pad) you can hear me adjusting the cam & lens and you can actually hear the pitch change at a certain point (the "blocked ear" rumble effect disappears), when I'm tilting the lens up a bit, but it's almost impossible to find this sweet spot without immediate audio feedback. Even then, unhooking the cam might nudge the lens adjustment a tiny bit and bring the rumble back.
(My first SG didn't have a sweet spot like this...)

0:08: nudge up, rumble gone
0:10: nudge back down
0:13-0:29: rumble
0:33: nudge up
0:33-0:59: no/less rumble, then fiddled with it again
0:59-1:15: rumble is back.
Do you use thick or thin mount?

Sent from my LG-H962 using Tapatalk

Thin. The angle of the thick mount bends the cables too much against the windshield, making sliding the cam on/off very impractical (when sliding off, the cam slides to the thin side of that mount, pressing the cables even harder against the windshield. The thin mount seemed safer, and seemd to work just fine on the previous SG.)

Thin. The angle of the thick mount bends the cables too much against the windshield, making sliding the cam on/off very impractical (when sliding off, the cam slides to the thin side of that mount, pressing the cables even harder against the windshield. The thin mount seemed safer, and seemd to work just fine on the previous SG.)

I guess the issue with rumble on new dascham is the sweet spot of lens angle sits on the half-click of the "teeth" vs tension-spring.
New v3 supplied with wedge-type thick mount to give more clearance for cars with more vertical windshiel when using CPL lens filter, but If you want to try out older thick ( flat ) mount to see if it will solve your lens sweet spot angle vs humble issue, - let me know, I will send you one to test.

I still have the thick one in the box. But 'm getting a new car next month and I prefer to hold off removing the existing mount until then, and leave everything as-is for a few more weeks...; I'll have to pry it off then anyway.
(Cutting loose my previous Mini 0801 mount wasn't exactly easy nor clean... https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/6sghzyws32homtf/IMG_20170111_222049.jpg so I'm afraid I might wreck this one too...)

I still have the thick one in the box. But 'm getting a new car next month and I prefer to hold off removing the existing mount until then, and leave everything as-is for a few more weeks...; I'll have to pry it off then anyway.
(Cutting loose my previous Mini 0801 mount wasn't exactly easy nor clean... https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/6sghzyws32homtf/IMG_20170111_222049.jpg so I'm afraid I might wreck this one too...)

You can use bracket removal string included in the box to cut through 3M adhesive.

my video

Drove to work and parked the car with the replacement SG9665GC V3 facing the sun and drove off again a couple of hours later. Today was sunny, but temperature was only +-12°C.

Despite the low temperature, the problem became clear again: the replacement unit has the same issue, although it seems to be roughly limited to the right half of the frame this time. I'm not sure if it will stay like this in summer, it could get worse on the right hand side, or it could start to affect the whole frame. Either way, I don't think I'm ready to accept this from a 200€ dashcam @ 12°C, I'm sorry.

(clickable)
Normal:

Soft:

Normal:

Soft:

Normal:

Soft:

Normal:

Soft:

At the moment (viewing from mobile phone) to me looks more-less the same with almost no difference, and angle of the sun shifted during 2.5h vs dashboard reflection may play that very little role,very hard to judge from mobile, but I will check again later on tonight from my PC screen and PM you for solution.

The angle of the sun after 2.5h isn't that much different that it would warrant such a shift in focus on the right hand side. Also on the last 2 sets, there is no difference in sun angle (same time, different day). As in all my previous comparisons in this thread, temperature is the only afflicting variable :/

The angle of the sun after 2.5h isn't that much different that it would warrant such a shift in focus on the right hand side. Also on the last 2 sets, there is no difference in sun angle (same time, different day). As in all my previous comparisons in this thread, temperature is the only afflicting variable :/

Actually 2.5h sun may shift glare the way glare can be confused with focus shift (depending on different circumstances) . This is just my assumption. Also same time, same place but recorded in different days are also part of variable.
Hard to judge remotely or make conclusions by viewing on mobile phone, but no worries I am going to look after you and PM you solution soon.

Last edited:
Drove to work and parked the car with the replacement SG9665GC V3 facing the sun and drove off again a couple of hours later. Today was sunny, but temperature was only +-12°C.

Despite the low temperature, the problem became clear again: the replacement unit has the same issue, although it seems to be roughly limited to the right half of the frame this time. I'm not sure if it will stay like this in summer, it could get worse on the right hand side, or it could start to affect the whole frame. Either way, I don't think I'm ready to accept this from a 200€ dashcam @ 12°C, I'm sorry.

there's no way a 12°c day is warm enough to cause focus shift, must be something else going on here, not sure what yet but we'll work it out

there's no way a 12°c day is warm enough to cause focus shift, must be something else going on here, not sure what yet but we'll work it out
Even on a rather cool day..the direct sun through the glass must be warm enough..... There is no way your going to see what the OP was talking about on a smart phone. It's like looking at the lcd on the back of a DSLR Camera, thinking your photos are sharp, only to be shocked how out of focus they are when you open them up on the computer. On my computer..I can clearly see the before and after Sharp/Soft problem. The video gets a "dreamy, diffused," look, where in some cases, I could not read the plates right in front of me. After parking in the shade for 20 minutes or so.....it was greatly improved. I've had two units in a row that have the same issue. When you end up doing your detective work to find out the cause, I would definitely recommend viewing on a decent computer screen. Just a side not: I'm not talking about stretching out the videos screen to a larger than normal size and pixel peeping ...just to around what equates to a 5x7 inch on my computer :)

Here is one of my blurry videos. If you open the video in a new window, you can size it.
CRS

My V3 bakes in the Nevada sun and I'm not experiencing focus shift. I had one customer and Niko had one customer. We'll have to figure out what's up.

Next time you do an After test, grab a longer USB cable and pop the cam outside the car. Check if the blur is still there.

Next time you do an After test, grab a longer USB cable and pop the cam outside the car. Check if the blur is still there.
So is it possible that my car window's clarity properties change with heat?,, and that my front windshield becomes blurry under heat load?...because that would have to be what your possibly suggesting....
Does not seem feasible.
CRS

Back