My Dash Cam Exploded!

Haskins

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The battery has swollen and popped the screen right off the main unit! The device was extremly hot and i am concerned it couldve actually ignited causing a fire.

Luckily i was stationary and didnt cause too much of a distraction at the time thankfully.

I have noticed similar circumstances reported from other customers and to be frank i have lost confidence in this model of dashcam.

Please can you advise the best course of action so this can be rectified as i now have no dash cam unfortunately.

Matt

Attachments

• IMG_20230817_204013.jpg
    IMG_20230817_204013.jpg
    313.6 KB · Views: 25
Yikes! This is a big reason why many manufacturers are transitioning away from internal batteries and to supercapacitors instead. You can always reach out to Nextbase regarding a replacement option, but if you'd like to avoid this in the future, choosing a different dashcam altogether may be the way to go.

Looks like it has lasted nearly two summers?
About normal for a dashcam containing a lithium battery in southern UK, they are only really suitable for winter use!

This is a big reason why many manufacturers are transitioning away from internal batteries and to supercapacitors instead.
The good manufacturers transitioned years ago, just a few refuse to do so, Nextbase being one of them.
I think it means they keep selling replacements!

The risk with all battery cameras, or rather you got off easy.

And you do not need a mechanical force acting from the outside like we see here

Matt, I'm glad nobody was injured in this lithium battery problem!

After I attempted to review the Nextbase 522GW which had several mount/vibration problems, I returned the equipment to Nextbase. That was the last dash camera that I accepted for review with an internal lithium battery. I just don't want to take on the risk of the battery having an issue (like in this post) and I will not recommend any dash camera with an internal lithium battery to any of my channel viewers.

Looks like it has lasted nearly two summers?
About normal for a dashcam containing a lithium battery in southern UK, they are only really suitable for winter use!

The good manufacturers transitioned years ago, just a few refuse to do so, Nextbase being one of them.
I think it means they keep selling replacements!

Nigel, I'm certainly happy to see that you eventually came around to seeing the overall superiority of super-capacitors in dash cams, but I do recall your early days on DashCamTalk when you were really quite against their use, or at least highly skeptical of their value.

Then again, super-capacitors were a relatively new innovation for dash cams back in the day but they proved highly reliable and solved the problem of swelling, igniting or exploding lithium batteries.

A couple of example quotes. (2015)

But the evidence to support a super capacitor being superior is a bit hard to find! It is true that some cameras eat batteries in hot weather, but would they also eat super capacitors? With a good design of charging circuit that doesn't try to fill the battery to overflowing and takes into account that the battery overflows sooner at high temperatures a lipo battery can last many years.

There are a lot of super capacitor related problem threads on the forum with issues like loosing the time because the capacitor has run out of power. Issues that battery powered cameras don't have.

Last edited:
That's why you should never buy a battery powered dashcam which are typically lithium based. If it was up to me, I'd ban those altogether. Capacitors can fail, leak and swell up, but they have minimum chance of burning something else. With lithium you just never know. Sometimes when they fail there is no reaction, but often times they'll literally catch on fire and exhaust extremely high temperature flames.

FYI, supercaps are not there to prolong your video recording when the car is off, but merely to properly save the latest record.

I ran Nextbase 402 and 412 models for a while without any battery issues.

I wonder why the series 2 dashcams have been so problematical.

My main issues with the 402 and 412 was unit vibration, due to them hanging from a stalk, and why I declined to test a free 422 offer.

Then again, super-capacitors were a relatively new innovation for dash cams back in the day but they proved highly reliable and solved the problem of swelling, igniting or exploding lithium batteries.
Before the manufacturers worked out how to use the supercapacitors correctly, there where quite few that failed, normally venting unpleasant stuff, we are still hearing of some failing after 2/3/4 years. They never cause fires, but they do fail if not used correctly. Now most manufacturers do understand how to use them, but we are still often using them outside of their temperature specifications, so their lifespans are still going to be short in supercapacitor terms. I think it is still the case that we don't know how long they are going to last in a well designed dashcam, they have not been in use 10 years yet, so there is no evidence that they last 10 years, although it now seems quite likely that they can, at least in most locations, maybe not in. the hottest places. Also, I think some manufacturers may be forgetting how to use them correctly having not had problems for a few years, I wouldn't be surprised to see some dashcam model have a lot of early super capacitor failures at some point!

Im just hoping a next base representative will see this and reach out. I simply cant go and buy another as i am not financially able to unfortunately.

It does seem like a apparent risk based on the replies on here.

Note the weather wasnt hot at the time its barely been above 20' here living in the north of the uk.

Nextbase haven't been here since June 27th

You could replace the battery and put it back together. Since it’s already open, it should be fairly easy. We do not see many cases of fire, in fact I think it is several years since the last case with damage beyond the dashcam.

You could make a warranty claim, in UK we have 6 years to claim a manufacturing/design fault, though I suspect the manufacturer will claim that this is just a dead battery!

Note the weather wasnt hot at the time its barely been above 20' here living in the north of the uk.
Temperature is only 1 factor in the demise of any battery. All rechargeable batteries have a finite life span and will eventually succumb to old age.

Temperature is only 1 factor in the demise of any battery. All rechargeable batteries have a finite life span and will eventually succumb to old age.
It is the main factor, but although the damage is done either in freezing or very hot weather, the "explosion" generally happens some time later during recharging, often in normal temperatures.

It is the main factor,...
I would be interested to read anything from a reputable source that would support that claim.

Below are a number of articles (from industry, popular publications, and academic/governmental) that describe the causes of battery failure (lithium and others) and none list, or even allude to, environmental temperature as the primary (or main) cause of failure. In fact in all these articles only 2 include it as a factor at all, and then it's included as a factor only as it can accelerate the effect other causes.

Before the manufacturers worked out how to use the supercapacitors correctly, there where quite few that failed, normally venting unpleasant stuff, we are still hearing of some failing after 2/3/4 years. They never cause fires, but they do fail if not used correctly. Now most manufacturers do understand how to use them, but we are still often using them outside of their temperature specifications, so their lifespans are still going to be short in supercapacitor terms. I think it is still the case that we don't know how long they are going to last in a well designed dashcam, they have not been in use 10 years yet, so there is no evidence that they last 10 years, although it now seems quite likely that they can, at least in most locations, maybe not in. the hottest places. Also, I think some manufacturers may be forgetting how to use them correctly having not had problems for a few years, I wouldn't be surprised to see some dashcam model have a lot of early super capacitor failures at some point!

The first dash cam to introduce a super-capacitor was the Mobius in October, 2013 and despite an occasional failure they have proven to be extraordinarily reliable in all kinds of temperature extremes, plus resistant to significant shocks and vibrations. I have several Mobius cameras that have been in daily service for nearly 10 years and they have performed flawlessly. I did have one Mobius super-cap fail several years ago but it didn't swell or burst, it simply stopped holding a charge. In the meantime, I have owned or tested dozens of dash cams going back at least 13 years and have never experienced a single failed super-cap during this time period in a camera that had one, other than the aforementioned one.

@russ331 has been reporting monthly on his experience with Mobius super-capacitors and it has been quite similar to my experience and that of many others. His most recent report from only six days ago reveals that one of his Mobius cams has been running on a super-cap for 9 years 6 months and another that failed after 7 years, 5 months. This performance far exceeds the life expectancy of any internal dash camera battery and indeed exceeds the life expectancy of virtually all dash cams (with the exception of the seemingly bullet-proof Mobius). Most dash cameras would be replaced long before any super-caps began to fail.

I don't have any idea what you mean by "manufacturers worked out how to use the supercapacitors correctly". Super-capacitors have been in development since the 1950s and the first modern super-capacitor called Goldcaps was marketed in 1978 by Panasonic and was used for memory-back up purposes, very similar to how they are used in dash cams to close files or store date and time (as in the Mobius). This led to further development by the US military in the early 1980s. This was followed by the introduction of "Ultra-Capacitors" from Maxwell in the 1990s and the launch of the super-cap industry we know today. They have been improving them ever since and engineers have had decades of experience to "work things out".
Super-caps have been a game changer in the dash cam industry to the point where most manufacturers no longer use lithium-ion or polymer batteries.

Today's super-capacitors have a potential lifespan of as much as 15 years and can perform for millions of cycles in both extreme cold and hot temperatures, far exceeding the reliability, performance and safety of lithium-ion batteries.

So many of the claims you've made in your post are entirely untrue as if you are simply making things up as you go along so as to sound authoritative. "We are still often using them outside of their temperature specifications, so their lifespans are still going to be short in supercapacitor terms." being a case in point, as super-caps used in dash cams are well within their rated temperature specs. Not only that, but their high temperature ratings are based upon sustained charging/discharging temperature tests, yet in reality when used in dash cams they are only charged/discharged intermittently for short periods of time, at start-up and shutdown, thus increasing their lifespan.

Back in those early days the big argument over super-capacitors was that unlike a battery they wouldn't keep a dash cam running for several minutes after a serious car accident if the camera suddenly lost power but that has proven to be a none issue.

Obviously, from your above remarks you still consider super-capacitors to be a dubious and unreliable technology. Going back to your early days on this forum you showed up here seeming unfamiliar with them while arguing against their use. Reviewing some old threads you made many negative or skeptical comments about super-caps while touting lithium battery use despite the fact that virtually everyone you interacted with tried to convince you that they were a fantastic and much needed innovation for dash cams. Some things never change.

Source: Battery University BU-209 - Isidor Buchmann

supercap.jpg

Note that service life specifically states, "in vehicle".
supercaps.png

Supercap traits
capsadvantages.jpg

Last edited:
I would be interested to read anything from a reputable source that would support that claim.

Below are a number of articles (from industry, popular publications, and academic/governmental) that describe the causes of battery failure (lithium and others) and none list, or even allude to, environmental temperature as the primary (or main) cause of failure. In fact in all these articles only 2 include it as a factor at all, and then it's included as a factor only as it can accelerate the effect other causes.
From your very first link:
Working in high temperatures can be a risky job as it has the potential to cause battery damage.
The resulting high-temperature levels can lead to thermal runaway if adequate cooling measures are not taken in time.
Thermal runaway means that the local or overall temperature inside the lithium-ion battery rises rapidly, and the heat cannot be dissipated in time, and a large amount of heat accumulates inside, causing the temperature to rise beyond the safety threshold of the lithium-ion battery.
In extreme cases, the temperature of a lithium battery can activate combustible materials in its composition and cause a fire or explosion.

Most of your list is about Lithium Metal batteries, not the Lithium Ion batteries used in dashcams, so is irrelevant.

From your very first link:

Most of your list is about Lithium Metal batteries, not the Lithium Ion batteries used in dashcams, so is irrelevant.
You're absolutely correct in that it says "high temperatures can be a risky job" - but it also does not say that it is the primary (main) cause of failure as you claim - and what I specifically was asking you to substantiate. I also acknowledged that some of those articles did mention heat as a factor - "in all these articles only 2 include it as a factor at all, and then it's included as a factor only as it can accelerate the effect other causes" which is a far cry from being "the main factor".

BTW, at least 3 of the articles I linked specifically addressed Lithium Ion battery technology in their headlines or opening paragraph and none of them mentioned heat as being the 'main cause' of failure. To refresh your memory I'll list them again along with a few more, and these all specifically speak to Lithium Ion technology.

That being the case I'm still awaiting your source to substantiate your assertion of environmental heat being "the main factor" in battery failure - Lithium Metal, Lithium Ion or any lithium based technology. Or is your claim just another example of 'Nigel Knowledge' you pull out of midair as you've been prone to do for years now?

Haskins, you have nothing to lose by contacting the manufacturer. They may send you a replacement to avoid embarrassment. No manufacturer wants this sort of issue out in the public domain.

Back