My Dashcam sucks and I need a new one

Gil

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Dash Cam
Thinkware F770 2-Ch
So this is a bit interesting.
I have this dual dash cam which is a dodgy one but it was cheap and ... dual...
about two weeks ago, I recorded an accident for the first time. it was a serious one.
The drivers of both cars were unhurt, so I approached one of them and offered to be a witness with the recorded video I had.
Here is the funny bit. It appears that the camera is pausing the record every 5 seconds and not because of any settings, because it started to behave funny. Could be the memory card, could be the camera electronics due to the summer heat in Sydney.
As soon the the cars got hit, the record has stopped and it is not possible to see what happened... the sound on the other hand is recorded so I can hear my reaction to the accident but ... no video.

This led me to a conclusion that I must replace the camera which has ****ty video quality as well.
I'm looking for a dual cam which can record in 1080/720p respectively (at least) and has a great video quality.
Is there such an animal which is not over $200AUD or $270USD ?

I'm looking for a dual cam which can record in 1080/720p respectively (at least) and has a great video quality.
Is there such an animal which is not over $200AUD or $270USD ?

no such beast, not sure about your currency conversion there

There is no perfect dual channel solution just yet.

As far as your budget starter camera goes you would be surprised how many of our customers are second time buyers such as yourself.

We've been pairing the SGZC12RC with the SG9665GC lately for a DIY dual solution

Last edited:
that like most others would blow the budget though

if the dual cam works as a single cam (some are ok like this) you might be able re-purpose it for rear window duties and just get a decent front cam perhaps

Last edited:
no such beast, not sure about your currency conversion there

There seem to be so many requests for dash cams that don't quite exist or wishes for features that don't and may never exist that I almost think we should have a thread called "No Such Beast". :)

Anyway, I'm a big fan of the Mobius as a high quality, reliable, very discreet rear camera. It makes a great dual combination when coupled with a SG9665GC up front.

I've been quite happy with the quality and performance of my Blacksys CF-100, which is a 2 channel 1080/720 solution that's only $140 with GPS. I don't see where in the original request that he's asking for any features the CF-100 doesn't have. It may not be quite as good as the popular X2, but in my opinion offers much more bang for the buck and the image quality appears to be better than most other dual channel solution in the same price range. See the review link below.

https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threa...p-sony-exmor-cmos-720p-gps-24-7-parking.7441/

KuoH

There seem to be so many requests for dash cams that don't quite exist or wishes for features that don't and may never exist that I almost think we should have a thread called "No Such Beast". :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Just buy two decent ones instead of one dual channel.
Dual channel, even the ones costing $200 can't compete with two decent NT96650 based dashcams that can be bought for less than $60 each.

I don't see where in the original request that he's asking for any features the CF-100 doesn't have.
KuoH

Maybe so, but perhaps you haven't noticed the huge number of "fantasy dash cams" that new DCT members show up hoping to find. In this case, the request is not far out there at all but many knowledgeable people seem to feel that category isn't quite "there" yet. The camera you mention has a less than discreet front form factor that many in the Western markets don't find quite so appealing regardless of how it performs.

Edit: Haven't looked at Niko's review of this cam for a long time. I can see where it could suit the OP's request. I still favor the two camera approach though.

Last edited:
Maybe so, but perhaps you haven't noticed the huge number of "fantasy dash cams" that new DCT members show up hoping to find. In this case, the request is not far out there at all but many knowledgeable people seem to feel that category isn't quite "there" yet. The camera you mention has a less than discreet front form factor that many in the Western markets don't find quite so appealing regardless of how it performs.

if they had packaged that up into something more discreet I'm sure it would be a lot more successful in our market, they're not alone in their thinking though, a lot of the dual channel stuff right now leaves a lot to be desired

It's not that big and the lack of an LCD actually makes it smaller than most other true dual channel solutions out now. As for the discreteness, some have solved that problem with black tape or a sharpie, but it hasn't been an issue for me so far. I'm waiting for a multi-channel remote solution, but this one has been good at filling the void for now and seems to be very good as far as picture quality and reliability are concerned.

KuoH

The camera you mention has a less than discreet front form factor that many in the Western markets don't find quite so appealing regardless of how it performs.

It's not that big and the lack of an LCD actually makes it smaller than most other true dual channel solutions out now. As for the discreteness, some have solved that problem with black tape or a sharpie, but it hasn't been an issue for me so far. I'm waiting for a multi-channel remote solution, but this one has been good at filling the void for now and seems to be very good as far as picture quality and reliability are concerned.

KuoH

There are definitely worse designs around and this one doesn't seem all that bad really, but yes, it could do without the lettering and chrome.

For Australian weather most important thing in to buy dashcam which is based on capacitors ( not battery ).
If no need a parking mode, then two single capacitors based low profile dashcams is a good choice ( Mobius, Innovv, A118-C, etc ), I would also add a 2pcs Street Guardian SG9665GC which is better than A118-C, but it is out of OP budget.

If OP want parking mode and looking for 1080p / 720p, then Blacksys CF-100 is the best choice out there now for bargain price. It is truly high-end built quality dashcam. There were few little FW glitches, but most got sorted out with FW upgrades. Maybe formfactor is not suitable for OP, but from performance point and video quality at 1080 + 720 vs price, - you can not get a better deal at the moment. As I heard, it is no longer in production, or will be taken out from production soon, there for I assume such a bargain price. CF-100 maybe not a dashcam solution that I would go ( my requirements are much higher ), but for dual channel beginners it is a great choice to start with exploring 2ch systems. Later can upgrade to more modern, more advanced, more expensive ;)

There is no perfect dual channel solution just yet.

As far as your budget starter camera goes you would be surprised how many of our customers are second time buyers such as yourself.

We've been pairing the SGZC12RC with the SG9665GC lately for a DIY dual solution
If you put both in a single box labelled "Dual Full HD Dashcam System - SGDDS01" then many people would be much happier to order it than having to buy two separate products at the same price!

If you put both in a single box labelled "Dual Full HD Dashcam System - SGDDS01" then many people would be much happier to order it than having to buy two separate products at the same price!

"Dual Full HD system" if put two single dashcams into one box, would be misleading for customers. In dashcam world there is a sort of "naming tradition" where "Dual channel" means 1 system with 2 cameras operated from one main unit.

you're correct of course, I know what he means though, people are sometimes lazy and don't want to put together themselves what they need so you have to spoon feed them

Back