my SD card is stuffed, cant format it

wozzzzza

Reaction score
Country
Australia
64GB sandisk card.
Camera stopped working properly yesterday, took card out, didn't record my last drive.
I deleted the files off of it and ran chkdsk on it, that took forever, normally takes about 1 minute on empty card.
checked card after completed and it was still full, tried deleting manually, looked like it all deleted, out card back in and still full.
formatted card, looked like it formatted ok but still full.
whats going on?

What brand is it? Maybe it's one of these Sandisks that has flipped to read only?

sandisk ultra 64GB microSDXC

Sounds like a warranty job as that's quite a few I've heard of on here now.

I've got one of those cards too so I'm wondering how long mine has got before it does the same as it's been in heavy use for 5 months now!

Guessing the controller goes into lockdown mode as soon as it detects a memory error it can't correct to minimise impact (i.e. you can get your stuff off the card before you send it back for replacement).

yeah I can get stuff off, bought it july 2013, will see what I can do with warranty.

Should be five or ten years so you should be fine - just go to Sandisk direct and they should get you sorted mate :)

Use a different SD adapter They cause more trouble than enough. Have had cards that wouldnt read and used a different adapter and still going.

don't have one, if camera is having issues with it as well as my adaptor its most likely the sd card.

don't have one, if camera is having issues with it as well as my adaptor its most likely the sd card.

Camera will have issues if its corrupted and you will need to format it in a PC, Is it a Micro SD or a plain SD card.

You normally need an adapter to plug a Micro SD into a PC.

its a micro SD card, I have an adaptor. just for you I found another adaptor that let me put it into my laptop, same issue, wont delete anything, cant format it or anything.

don't think it will work, tried the guiformat.exe utility, windows format many times over and they all complete successfully but the card is still full of accessible files.

I had the same issue with the same exact card. Bottom line, it's stuffed. Sdformatter did work in full/block alignment/overwrite mode, but the card now has write speed of about 1 byte/min. Return under warranty. I stay away from Sandisk memory cards ever since.

this can (and has) happened to any flash card, not just sandisk. :rolleyes:

I use sandisk exclusively in everything that will take a flash card and never had this issue. Ive been using sandisk cards for decades.

Your problem was what prompted me to ask the question. Unfortunately, this problem is a byproduct of producing the most dense, high-capacity, cards for the lowest possible cost.

Last edited by a moderator:
happened to my Sandisk 64gig microSD card, I returned it to them for a new one, took about 3 weeks,

Just sent my SanDisk ultra 64gb back about a week ago. The ultra has 10year warranty so you should be good.

sounds like I need to start looking for another brand of card.

Back