My Thinkware U1000 doesn't stay connected to my hotspot when the car is off

Baldhead

Reaction score
Country
United States

Do you have the camera wired to stay on after the vehicle is turned off? If so, does the vehicles wifi stay on when the vehicle is turned off?

Yes the camera stays on after the car is turn off.The parking mode turns on but the camera disconnect from the hotspot. The camera is hard wired to the car.

Agree with Caveman as in Energy Saving Mode the WiFi does shut down...

I am impressed with the flow here including questions to help diagnose the situation. This helps everyone learn their products better

if it's the car's hotspot then pretty sure this will shut off as well ( my mercedes does that too)
This appears to be the correct reason for the issue. The manufacturers do not want to be responsible for draining the battery, or providing a Hotspot that random people can hack into and use.

This is why there are Hotspot devices available, which people either hardwire or also purchase power packs to power them from. This can end up being pretty expensive

Fortunately I park my vehicle close enough to my home that I have the option to use my homes wifi. I have not attempted this yet as I am not sure of the steps needed to switch between my cell phone when driving to the home network. This also would potentially leave consideration for how to handle connectivity when parked away from home.

This appears to be the correct reason for the issue. The manufacturers do not want to be responsible for draining the battery, or providing a Hotspot that random people can hack into and use.

This is why there are Hotspot devices available, which people either hardwire or also purchase power packs to power them from. This can end up being pretty expensive

Fortunately I park my vehicle close enough to my home that I have the option to use my homes wifi. I have not attempted this yet as I am not sure of the steps needed to switch between my cell phone when driving to the home network. This also would potentially leave consideration for how to handle connectivity when parked away from home.
I just turn off my cell phone hotspot so that the dashcam disconnects from it and then press the wifi button on the dashcam twice for it to find the new “home” hotspot.
Found this to be more reliable than walking away with the dashcam still connected to the phone.

I have a mobile hotspot that my phone provider gives for free with my subscription
i hardwired it to my battery pack together with the camera.
works really well, though i don't really use it.
also stil have the problem that the phone does not give a sound when impact is detected, so pretty useless..

I have a mobile hotspot that my phone provider gives for free with my subscription
i hardwired it to my battery pack together with the camera.
works really well, though i don't really use it.
also stil have the problem that the phone does not give a sound when impact is detected, so pretty useless..
Yeh I also noticed that i just get “muted” notifications .

I am trying to set up similar setup with continuous Wifi using third party hotspot powered from external battery. Any tips/advice for me? I will be pairing this to an Samsung Note 9.
Reason I am looking for feedback is because I am seeing from users reporting connectivity issues.. and because the above setup will be expensive, I want to make sure I don't regret it..

i have my hotspot hardwired onto a powerbank that also powers the dual cam. works well

I am trying to set up similar setup with continuous Wifi using third party hotspot powered from external battery. Any tips/advice for me? I will be pairing this to an Samsung Note 9.
Reason I am looking for feedback is because I am seeing from users reporting connectivity issues.. and because the above setup will be expensive, I want to make sure I don't regret it..
Most mobile hotspots I’ve used have setting to make them go into sleep mode. Make sure you turn that off. I was going insane the first time I used a mobile hotspot. Later I learned of that setting.

If your talking about the vehicles hotspot. That usually turns off when the car is off. If your talking about a mobile hotspot. Make sure you turn the sleep mode off.

Back