Redux

Reaction score
Country
United States
Im working on a transportation startup and hit a roadblock when trying to solve one of our features for our client app. We are a B2B and work exclusively with medical centers and im trying to find out if there is (or how to build) a feature for providing live access to the interior dash cams for medical facilities while their patients are in the vehicle. Because we serve various facilities, a unique ID should be created for each trip and am wondering if there is a way to use that ID to trigger permissions and access expiration for these trips so that other medical centers cannot gain access when their patients are not in our vehicles, i.e. HIPAA compliance is a must. Id like the feature to be as automated as possible and am willing to pay to build the platform from scratch if necessary. Id like to pilot the feature to build a case study before putting too much effort into it. Is cellular best, mobile hotspot, RTSP, RTMP and stream directly through our website… its a mess and im looking for direction. Cheers!

Seff

Why would anyone want live access to the dashcam footage?

I can understand having live access to phone camera footage if the medical staff in the vehicle need help from an expert elsewhere, but dashcam footage will show no detail.

If something goes wrong then I can understand people wanting access to the recordings, then it needs to be treated as `CCTV footage, with the same access rules.

I can understand someone wanting live access to location tracking data.

its a mess and im looking for direction.
I don't understand the reason for providing live access to interior dashcam footage, what medical purpose does it serve?

Why would anyone want live access to the dashcam footage?

I can understand having live access to phone camera footage if the medical staff in the vehicle need help from an expert elsewhere, but dashcam footage will show no detail.

If something goes wrong then I can understand people wanting access to the recordings, then it needs to be treated as `CCTV footage, with the same access rules.

I can understand someone wanting live access to location tracking data.

I don't understand the reason for providing live access to interior dashcam footage, what medical purpose does it serve?

Well.. in time it will either prove to be useful or not, but there are certainly uses for it. Im not going to air those on a public forum unless you want to sign an NDA haha. It’s definitely not for viewing or directing care in real time so detail isn’t going to be an issue. It’s a niche service and has as much if not more to do with drivers than patients. We offer a level of oversight and transparency to our client facilities and (at least in theory) has gained a TON of interest in the feature.

- Im not sure what you mean “why would anyone want live access?” When there are plenty of companies utilizing this feature and have been for years. I just dont think it’s relevant why our clients would utilize that feature and something im not willing to share in a public forum. Im only interested in the technical requirements, and any input that anyone is willing to offer to that end.

If you’re familiar with Axos body cameras for LE, take a look as their dispatch platform or Mission Control.. Would LE consider it beneficial to have something that would assist joint operations, in real time and across various agencies at the click of a button? You tell me

for medical facilities while their patients are in the vehicle.
It’s definitely not for viewing or directing care in real time so detail isn’t going to be an issue.
HIPAA compliance is a must
Still a bit confused, because HIPAA is about patients Medical records, but you say it is not about patient care, so it is hard to see why HIPAA is relevant.

Next question is, why are you using an "interior dashcam" and not a CCTV camera? There must be systems already in existence for CCTV cameras, while dashcam manufacturers/integrators are unlikely to know anything about HIPAA compliance?

The main reason for being here is because i know a lot about what i dont know.. and i dont know dash cameras, or cameras in general for the most part

By interior camera, i was really referring to a dual facing dash cam that would capture inside the vehicle. As far as what kind of camera, im not married to any particular type whatsoever, just what works and works best. Be it CCTV, dash, web or a nanny cam, i dont care.

We contract with these facilities and have BAA’s and service agreements which outline our requirements to maintain HIPAA compliance. On our side it’s minimal, name, contact info, address, pickup times etc, but PHI nonetheless. Either way its considered PHI and covered under HIPAA and therefore to stay above board our data security protocols cover that, and so long as a camera can oblige those protocols or equivalent the type of camera really means nothing. Because we transport on behalf of facilities who are currently under the care of these facilities, HIPAA is vary particular when it comes to video esp if with voice. I cant get into it more than that sorry. Again, so long as it works. Ive spent a lot of time looking at anything from garmin, raven, axon and blackvue to CCTV like eyeride, samsara etc. Who the manufacturer is or what the camera was meant for wont matter so long is it can function under these parameters. Open to LTE mobile cameras, or CCTV with a mobile hotspot. Whichever. Again, just interested in specs

I don't know what else you have in the vehicle, but my first thought is to have some sort of computer that can act as a server, with a mobile data connection so that people can log in, enter their access details and then access whatever info, including video streams from whatever that computer has access to. It is fairly easy to retransmit video from any camera supporting RTSP video streams, which could include dashcams and IP cameras. The security is then up to your software running on the computer, which you may already have. Many dashcams do provide RTSP or HTTP streaming, although it tends to be at low resolution and often without audio. You would probably do better with an IP camera for interior views, and a dashcam for the front view of the road if you want that view, maybe with the front view overlayed in a corner of the interior view.

You might want people to log into a non-mobile server, and you can retransmit video from your mobile cameras from there, in which case the standard LTE dashcams could be used unmodified. This would make the system more reliable for the end users in case of communications drop outs while moving.

You'll find it hard to even get a dashcam with functional remote viewing. You certainly won't find it with the providers HIPAA complaint and signing a BAA.

Im working on a transportation startup and hit a roadblock when trying to solve one of our features for our client app. We are a B2B and work exclusively with medical centers and im trying to find out if there is (or how to build) a feature for providing live access to the interior dash cams for medical facilities while their patients are in the vehicle. Because we serve various facilities, a unique ID should be created for each trip and am wondering if there is a way to use that ID to trigger permissions and access expiration for these trips so that other medical centers cannot gain access when their patients are not in our vehicles, i.e. HIPAA compliance is a must. Id like the feature to be as automated as possible and am willing to pay to build the platform from scratch if necessary. Id like to pilot the feature to build a case study before putting too much effort into it. Is cellular best, mobile hotspot, RTSP, RTMP and stream directly through our website… its a mess and im looking for direction. Cheers!

Seff

Systems similar to what you are looking for have been around for years. They are used primarily by the commercial trucking, construction, transportation, delivery industries and other sectors for real time monitoring and recording of fleet driver compliance and behavior, along with traffic events. Live footage can be transmitted to corporate managers at headquarters and certain types of events or driver behaviors can trigger alerts while the footage is archived to cloud storage for later remote viewing. I imagine the interior cameras and monitoring systems could be deployed in other ways as well, more in line with your purposes. I am no expert in this technology and my knowledge is limited but you might benefit from looking into some of the companies that provide these kinds of systems. As for connectivity, various approaches are taken and I recall reading somewhere that some of these fleet tracking systems use satellite transmission in concert with LTE networks.

Trimble Transportation

Fleet Optix

Last edited:
Systems similar to what you are looking for have been around for years. They are used primarily by the commercial trucking, construction, transportation, delivery industries and other sectors for real time monitoring and recording of fleet driver compliance and behavior, along with traffic events. Live footage can be transmitted to corporate managers at headquarters and certain types of events or driver behaviors can trigger alerts while the footage is archived to cloud storage for later remote viewing. I imagine the interior cameras and monitoring systems could be deployed in other ways as well, more in line with your purposes. I am no expert in this technology and my knowledge is limited but you might benefit from looking into some of the companies that provide these kinds of systems. As for connectivity, various approaches are taken and I recall reading somewhere that some of these fleet tracking systems use satellite transmission in concert with LTE networks.

Hey thanks for the reply, i appreciate you taking the time. Ive been through a number of demos for fleet cams/fleet ai training cams and many with proprietary software. Many offered decent API and SDK… BUT, none could do what i need them to do. Imagine HD Fleet for example, you have your driver, Ai dash cam with live feed and telematics and your dispatch/fleet manager and/or training manager. The cameras can be setup in so many ways which trigger certain events and inform one of or all of these various managers, who no doubt can have simultaneous access to see what their drivers are doing, and if necessary can intervene in real time. “Get off your phone ,Ricky”, “No eating while driving, Wanda”, “Slow the F*#K down, Jerry!” Etc… Each of these interventions are occurring internally, from the same company, or at least with permissions via the same account. Now, imagine if that access can be shared with a third party, someone unaffiliated with that users account, where a trigger exists to allow those permissions for a specific event, and then later expire through another trigger through another specific event. These third parties arent random people, but other companies with vested interest in these trips.

Think of it like a school bus. You have the school, the bus & driver, the students and the students parents… The school (via public dollars) pays for or contracts with private bus/transport providers and tells them where they need to go to pick up the students, and the bus appears at specified locations at specified times to pick up these students. Note how the driver never contacts the students, nor are the students contacting or paying the driver. They are provided this service on behalf of the school/county to their own benefit. Last but not least you have the parents, who you might think i was going to mention next, but no. Imagine in this case that the school has access to the CCTV within the bus in real time (which many, and much like public common carriers do) and can speak with the drivers in real time. Keep in mind that school transport providers have designated routes for designated schools and is plotted out well ahead of time. What im trying to accomplish is so similar to this scenario EXCEPT a some important differences. If we are the transport provider (buses) but drive for multiple schools (medical centers) with routes that differ on a daily basis, we should then maintain control over who has access to these cameras. You wouldn't want one center, or school having access to the cameras at a time when their students, or patients were not in the vehicle. This is the catch, and where the problem arises. If it were a single vehicle that operates for a single medical center or school then it wouldnt be an issue because you could easily provide permissions to a third party to a specific camera within a vehicle.

Last scenario to solidify what we need…. by now everyone has ordered something from amazon or some new catchy food delivery service. Each of which will typically provide updates to the customer for when their food or package will be delivered. As soon as the driver arrives at the restaurant, or the package is slated for delivery, the customer can go into their account and see where the driver it located on the map up until the point when the package or food arrives. Doing, the notification comes through that it’s delivered and the customers ability to view the driver on the map has expired. Now imagine if at the time the customer is notified their food or package will be delivered next and they can see where the driver is on the map, if there was an option for the customer to view inside the vehicle for the time being, up to and only until delivery… Obviously this isnt for food or parcel delivery, but patients/passengers.

Does this make sense? Thanks again, and i appreciate the input!

You'll find it hard to even get a dashcam with functional remote viewing. You certainly won't find it with the providers HIPAA complaint and signing a BAA.

There’s plenty of cameras that allow live feeds, and it’s only a matter of how secure you make that communication so it doesnt need to be a HIPAA compliant camera or manufacturer at all. You can setup your own server, point it to whichever server, use your own website etc and can make it as open or as secure as you want. The only parties needing to sign a BAA would be us, the associates with the medical centers, the entity. We would be the guarantor in this case, that the video feed is secure and compliant and not the cameras manufacturer. If we used T-mobile for example who plenty of fleet operators use for cellular equipped cameras, they would not be held liable for any data breaches because WE are the ones who told the Med center that is was secure, not t-mobile.

You might want people to log into a non-mobile server, and you can retransmit video from your mobile cameras from there, in which case the standard LTE dashcams could be used unmodified. This would make the system more reliable for the end users in case of communications drop outs while moving.

Yes! I think we are getting to the same page here. If we were to role play the scenario it might look like this… You and two of your friends are engineers and are working on a project but its top secret, therefore each dept is compartmentalized and through separate companies and locations. It’s fast paced so all of you are updating and testing your individual widgets on a daily basis. You’ll have a constant flux of deliveries from the manufacturer each day who delivers these updates. These widgets are top secret, so you cant share any info with your friends. Now, Im the delivery driver and have been contracted by you and two of your friends to bring you the new widgets every day. Because they’re crucial to your operation and top secret, you have a vested interest in their security, delivery and prompt arrival. It would make sense in this case that you and your two friends might want constant access to the driver and oversight of your widgets to ensure these deliveries are successful.

At the end of each day, you and your two friends (let’s call you A, B and C) enter in your orders or the following day. I then get the orders, designate drivers, set delivery times and send your confirmation and est delivery times. We set out the next day to pickup the widgets and head out for delivery. A unique trip ID is generated for this trip and now (A) is notified when we reach the manufacturer’s warehouse and when we are in route to (A’s) location. The unique trip ID triggers access to our camera so that (A) can now oversee and communicate with our driver in real time up until the point of delivery. During this time ONLY (A) can have access, where (C) and (B) cannot. Once (A’s) widgets are delivered and that unique trip ID has expired (A) no longer has access (or a need) to the camera. Now we start heading out to deliver (B’s) widgets who also has a unique trip ID which generates ONLY after the previous delivery was successfully completed, and now (B) can access our camera to oversee the delivery, NOT (A) or (C)… and so on. The unique trip ID should correspond with delivery times but is ALWAYS tied to the specific customer, and is what triggers the permissions to the camera and enable that specific customer to view ONLY within that window of delivery. It’s literally amazon delivery, but instead of watching a dot on the map its with a camera.

Can you list dashcams that provide a live feed? I've only found a couple to date, Blackvue and 70mai. They both use their own servers.

Can you list dashcams that provide a live feed? I've only found a couple to date, Blackvue and 70mai. They both use their own servers.

Cameras that provide a live feed, or live stream? Are those the same thing in your opinion?

Either way the list is much longer than im willing to list on here, and doesnt get me any closer to my goal, and the reason for being here.

Samsara, Uniden, Queclink LST501 stingray, axon fleet 3, sensata kp2 ai, zenducam adas…. These are off the top of my head. Even Ring makes a live dash cam now. Garmin is another big company making them too

Back