Need some guidance from the community - Hybrid Car / Parking Mode / Accessory Battery

The exhaust gasses are the same temperature whatever size the engine, little engines simply have thinner exhaust pipes. If anything it is going to produce more heat for its size than a V8, since it is a far more efficient engine.

"Is a small engine going to produce more heat for its size than a V8"​

Answer
A small engine will not necessarily produce more heat for its size compared to a V8 engine. The heat generation in engines is influenced by several factors:

Engine Size and Power Output​

V8 engines generally produce more total heat than smaller engines due to their larger displacement and higher power output.
An 8-cylinder engine will typically generate more overall heat than a 4-cylinder engine of half the displacement, owing to the larger exothermic reaction taking place.

Efficiency and Heat Management​

However, when considering heat production relative to engine size, smaller engines can be more efficient:
  • Thermal Efficiency: Smaller engines often operate closer to their maximum load, which can make them more thermally efficient. This means they may produce less waste heat per unit of power output.
  • Heat Dissipation: Larger engines like V8s usually have more advanced cooling systems designed to handle their higher heat output. This includes larger radiators and more coolant capacity

Factors Affecting Heat Generation​

Several factors influence an engine's heat production:
  • Engine Load: The amount of work the engine is doing significantly impacts heat generation.
  • Engine Design: Modern engines, regardless of size, are designed for better thermal management.
  • Operating Conditions: Factors like ambient temperature and driving conditions affect heat production.

The general rule of thumb is that ALL internal combustion vehicles should be driven a minimum of 5 miles to bring the exhaust system up to temperature enough to burn off condensation caused by the engine heat as it meets the cold steel of the exhaust pipes regardless of the size of the vehicle. It takes time to dry out an exhaust system and muffler, especially in cooler weather.
Hmm. That might be difficult to achieve over a short distance. Once I get up to speed, the internal combustion engine cuts out and the car coasts on the 18v battery wherever possible. I'll ask Toyota later this week - I'm intending to visit for help with my dashcam installation.

Hmm. That might be difficult to achieve over a short distance. Once I get up to speed, the internal combustion engine cuts out and the car coasts on the 18v battery wherever possible. I'll ask Toyota later this week - I'm intending to visit for help with my dashcam installation.

Maybe it is designed to deal with this, especially if indeed there is some form of stainless steel alloy incorporated into the exhaust system?

Here in New England moisture is a problem during the colder weather season and one often hears the 5 mile rule of thumb from mechanics.

The use of chloride on the road during icy conditions is also a concern both for mufflers and well as rust on vehicles. People (including me) often wash off their undercarriage periodically during the winter and undercoat their vehicles. I have my truck undercoated with Fluid-Film once a year to prevent rust. It is a product made from lanolin that has been in use since WWII. This doesn't work on mufflers however since it will burn off. Some folks are starting to use Black Mineral Oil for rust prevention but there are not many providers around for this service (yet).

According to Perplexity AI:

https://www.perplexity.ai/search/how-long-should-i-drive-my-car-Og2.g0qOSGKty2HkWV62bg

How long should I drive my car to boil off moisture from exhaust system to prevent rust?​

Answer
To effectively boil off moisture from your car's exhaust system and prevent rust, you should follow these guidelines:

Driving Duration and Distance

You should drive your car for at least 15-20 minutes or approximately 10-15 miles to adequately heat up the exhaust system and burn off condensation.
This duration allows the engine and exhaust components to reach their optimal operating temperatures.

Factors Affecting Moisture Removal

Several factors influence how quickly moisture is removed from the exhaust system: Engine Temperature: The engine needs to reach its full operating temperature, typically around 195°F (90°C), to effectively evaporate moisture.Oil Temperature: The oil should reach 180°F to 212°F (82°C to 100°C) to burn off condensation in the crankcase. Driving Conditions: Spirited driving or highway speeds can help heat the exhaust system more quickly than idling or slow city driving.Ambient Temperature: In colder weather, it may take longer for the engine and exhaust to reach optimal temperatures.

Best Practices

To ensure proper moisture removal and prevent rust in your exhaust system:
  1. Avoid short trips: If possible, combine errands to allow for longer driving sessions.
  2. Regular maintenance: Ensure your car's thermostat and cooling system are functioning correctly to maintain proper engine temperatures.
  3. Weekly drives: If the car is not used regularly, take it for a 30-minute drive at least once a week, preferably including some highway driving
  4. Avoid excessive idling: Simply idling the car for extended periods is not as effective as driving for removing moisture
By following these guidelines, you can help prevent rust and extend the life of your car's exhaust system.

Once I get up to speed, the internal combustion engine cuts out and the car coasts on the 18v battery wherever possible.
I think it will only cut out after it has warmed up the catalytic converter to operating temperature, otherwise it would have emission regulations problems. You may find that it takes longer in the winter before it will cut out. Operating temperature for the cat will be enough to dry out the rest of the exhaust.

My Brother has a Toyota Auris, one of the first to have your hybrid engine setup, must be 10 years old now and as far as I know it has had no problems, still a nice car. Pity about the changes in car tax next year!

"Is a small engine going to produce more heat for its size than a V8"​

A V8 uses around twice the fuel of a 4 cylinder for similar acceleration. Where does the extra fuel go?

Most of it gets turned into heat in some form, so yes, a V8 will produce more heat, but it is only the heat that remains in the exhaust gasses that will dry the exhaust. The exhaust gasses should be at around the same temperature for both engine types, but the smaller engine will generally use more of the engine+exhaust capacity, thus the exhaust will get hotter than the V8 exhaust. Also, short cars will warm the tail end of the exhaust sooner than long cars, and V8 engines tend to be in longer cars. It is much more common to see water dribbling out of a V8 exhaust than from a 3/4 cylinder exhaust.

A V8 uses around twice the fuel of a 4 cylinder for similar acceleration. Where does the extra fuel go?

Most of it gets turned into heat in some form, so yes, a V8 will produce more heat, but it is only the heat that remains in the exhaust gasses that will dry the exhaust. The exhaust gasses should be at around the same temperature for both engine types, but the smaller engine will generally use more of the engine+exhaust capacity, thus the exhaust will get hotter than the V8 exhaust. Also, short cars will warm the tail end of the exhaust sooner than long cars, and V8 engines tend to be in longer cars. It is much more common to see water dribbling out of a V8 exhaust than from a 3/4 cylinder exhaust.

How amusing to see the guy who always presents himself as the ultimate knowledgeable authority on literally every subject on the planet arguing with an AI search engine, but somehow I am not surprised. ;)

Yesterday, you claimed that small engines produce more heat than large ones because they are more efficient yet Perplexity AI says the exact opposite.

If anything it is going to produce more heat for its size than a V8, since it is a far more efficient engine.

Perplexity AI : Thermal Efficiency: Smaller engines often operate closer to their maximum load, which can make them more thermally efficient. This means they may produce less waste heat per unit of power output.

By definition, efficiency is the ratio of the work done by a machine to the energy supplied to it, usually expressed as a percentage. In other words, the more efficient an engine is, the less energy it will waste as heat. For example, this is why highly efficient LED light bulbs put out so much less heat than incandescent light bulbs that provide the same output in lumens.

The notion that because trucks are generally longer than compact cars and therefore it takes longer to to warm up the tailpipe is daffy. There is a lot more metal in the exhaust system of a large displacement engine for condensation to form. It has little to nothing to do with how long your truck may be. The amount of moisture coming out of a tailpipe has to do with the heat differential between the hot exhaust gases and the ambient temperature. You definitely don't want to hold your hand in front of the tailpipe of a larger truck for very long that's been running for a couple of minutes after start-up.

Last edited:
Back