Need suggestions: protect event loop and loop before that

DMS

Reaction score
Country
United States
I am looking for a dashcam and/or firmware solution that can do the following:

Say I'm recording 2 minute clips. If I have an event in the second clip, I want to save that clip and the clip before that, a total of 4 minutes. Better yet, if I have an event in the first or last 30 seconds of a clip, I want to keep that clip and the clip before if the event is in the FIRST 30 seconds, or the even after if an event is in the LAST 30 seconds. If I have an event in the first and last 30 seconds, I want to keep all 3 clips.

Anyone know of a camera or firmware with that level of customization, or have any other suggestions?

The only camera I know of that does anything like that is the original Mobius camera, not sure about the Mobius 2. Taken from: https://www.mobius-actioncam.com/faq/

Q. Can I save a specific video clip while recording in loop mode so that it won’t be over written?

A. The current clip can be Write Protected by briefly pressing (max. 1 second) the Mode button while the camera is recording. This will set the file’s read-only attribute which will prevent the current recording from being deleted.

Note that formatting the card will delete all the files, including the protected files with the read-attribute set.
►Depending on the length of the current recording, the previous or the following clip may also be automatically locked.

• If the current recording file is less than 1 minute, both the previous file and the current file will be locked.
  • If the current recording file will be closed in less than 1 minute, both the current file and the following file will be locked.
  • If the current file has been recording for over 1 minute but will only be closed after at least another 1 minute of recording, only the current file will be locked.

I wish all cameras that used the read only attribute worked in this way, or at least had an option to do this.

The amusing thing is that I have what I think is a Mobius 1 that I use for UAV study already...

Is it just the Mobius branded one, or does this work on the clones?

Anyone know where I can easily find instructions to set this up?

While I'm asking, does there exist an open firmware dashcam?

Thanks for the input.

the Mobius firmware only works on the genuine one, nothing to enable, it's just the way the files will save

there is no open version firmware, there are some models that are easier to hack than others though

Playing with the Mobius 1. I would prefer 2 minute clips as an option, and 30 seconds as the timeframe for when to keep the previous/following clip, but I can live with this. The Mobius 1 seems to be getting hard to find - does the Mobius 2 work the same way? Any good places to get the Mobius 1 for the time being (I'm hoping to avoid counterfeits).

Thanks again.

Z-edge pointed out that the Z3 locks 10 seconds prior to an emergency press and 2o seconds after. Any other cams do something similar?

Z-edge pointed out that the Z3 locks 10 seconds prior to an emergency press and 2o seconds after. Any other cams do something similar?

cams that pre buffer generally work this way, it's a bit of a double edged sword though, it's great for G-Sensor events but if it's a manual event and you don't press within 10 seconds you'd miss everything

Back