Need to catch the culprit damaging my car..

sciclunam

Reaction score
Country
Malta
Hi. I have a problem... when I park in a particular street I always end up with the rear of my car covered in eggs! Yes someone is throwing eggs during the night. I really want to know who this a**hole is so I bought the a118c. I cannot use an record from outside as this street is two blocks away from home. My plan is to hard-wire the camera to record all night an place it to the rear glass. However low street lights might not be enough to recognize this idiot.

Does anyone know whether adding IR illuminators would be of any help to get a brighter picture?

Thanks

IR illuminators will not work with a dash cam because they have a built-in permanent IR-cut filter. You'll need a dedicated CCTV surveillance camera if you want a something that will work with an illuminator.

Last edited by a moderator:
Get something with good night quality (Sony Exmor or similar sensor) and use a battery power bank of 10,000mah.
Remember, you only have to catch him/her doing it once to know who's doing it.

And a large enough memory card to record if you're gone for 10+ hours.

if the area is well lit the camera you have will do ok, will need to be left running though, don't use motion detect, you'll need a 64gb card if you want to have enough time to be able to catch what you need

Yes, @jokkin makes a good point about being in a well lit area. Try to park near a street light if at all possible. Also, if practical consider experimenting with exposure and color balance settings to optimize your camera for the particular setting where you park at night rather than leave it on the settings you might usually use while driving around during the day.

Last edited:
yeah that's a good point, maybe adjust the EV to something a bit brighter than what you would normally use before parking

Yes, but don't spend time messing with the camera where you park as the person may notice that.
Set it somewhere else and do the normal routine there, don't even look like you have camera.
Also put it little away inside from the window.

Definitely get a battery pack , to run the cam ...
Maybe one of those 12-24v to 5v USB adapters ...
Get a Li-ion battery pack , 3s should work fine , or just get a large enough AA holder ...
https://www.ebay.com/itm/291391348474

A sixpack of beers, a good vantage point and a big can of whoop-ass when you catch them.
I wouldn't be able to help myself, catching them red-handed and then dishing out some bruising justice.
Ooooh, and video the whole thing for our viewing pleasure.

Back