New A119 v3 arrived today

Auld Reekie

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My Viofo A119 V3 arrived this morning, connected to the car and set the menu as listed below. The dashcam came with Firmware version 2.4 already installed. A lot of menu choices :). two things that dont seem to work, setting the car registration, and setting text for startup screen on cam. I could get through the letters to show but they did'nt appear anywhere or on the video clips. Perhaps a firmware thing?

Menu settings are:
Resolution 2560 X 1440p | Bitrate High | Loop Rec' on
Video format MP4 | Exposure +0.0 | HDR Off| Parking Mode Off
Motion Detect Off | Gps On | Speed Mph | G-Sensor Low
Datestamp On | Gps Allinfo | Cm Model Stamp On
Record Audio Off (very sensitive)
Screen saver 15 sec's (will reduce when happy with settings)
Boot Delay 5 sec's | Firmware V2.4|

Took the car out a short drive, came back to review the results on laptop, I've got to say I was quite impressed, maybe it's me but I thought quality was better than my old Nextbase 422GW. Video was nice and sharp, I did not have the cpl on first time out but next time out it will be on two short videos:
video 1
video 2
A little bit jittery in places viewd in VLC player. I think there is room for improvement. Had window open during the drive and audio was on, not sure if sound recording was not right or just wind coming in the window.

(y)

The mic is very sensitive.

Surprised about the free format text not showing. I don't put my car reg in for privacy in case I need to post a screenshot. I use the 2 free format options for current resolution, firmware version and cpl status.

You can check it's held your text by going in there again and it should still be visible in there.

Got the car reg text sorted. My fault not RTFM correctly, will try out other resolutions today. Maybe even flashing the firmware to 2. 5

I got a new A119 today V3 after my 5 year old V1 died out (more on that later - in the sub forum for the v1). Haven't even installed in the car yet, just playing around with it on a battery pack.

Edit: Pretty similar to the V1 and have it configured the way I want. Parking mode is something new

The only thing to watch is a ticking noise over bumps as Viofo no longer include the thin foam.

A couple of small cuts of this >
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/B07T3JYKJ5 solved the problem of rattling noise for me. I found the v3 was not exactly a tight fit between camera and mount, there was a slight movement between the two. Vibration noise was amplified in video... All quiet now.

The thin foam is 0.5mm, don't go much thicker as it may be difficult to mount.

The only thing to watch is a ticking noise over bumps as Viofo no longer include the thin foam.

I am finding the foam on my V3 not to be too thin and there was also an alternate foam in my package. In fact, the foam is thinner than one I removed from the V1 mount. Not sure if viofo packs the boxes differently from North America what it does in the UK.

I haven't mounted it yet as I got it late yesterday and decided against trying to do so in the dusk with only 10 minutes of day light left so I would not know about the ticking noise.

A couple of small cuts of this >
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/B07T3JYKJ5 solved the problem of rattling noise for me. I found the v3 was not exactly a tight fit between camera and mount, there was a slight movement between the two. Vibration noise was amplified in video... All quiet now.

The link isn't working for me. What should I search for on Amazon.

One of the major Internet and telecom providers in Canada was down on Friday July 8 to Saturday 9th. When I tried to order a dash cam from Best Buy the next day, the MFA was NOT working. Wasn't getting text messages from them. I wasn't able to purchase from https://www.bestbuy.ca/ so I ordered from amazon.ca, which was $10 more. If there is an alternative to amazon, I try to get things from there as I have several political and ethical issues with Amazon. But being cut off days before the purchase and my old V1 not recording that or several other incidents such as a prime candidate for Reddits Idiots in cars forced myself to get a new front Dash cam ASAP. As my A119V1 last over 5 years , I decided on V3.

My purchase was fulfilled from blackboxmycar. Bestbuy also sells and ships from BlackboxMyCar.

Had I checked @BlackboxMyCar , I would have noticed it the price there is about the same for Best buy and less than it was from amazon.

I am finding the foam on my V3 not to be too thin and there was also an alternate foam in my package. In fact, the foam is thinner than one I removed from the V1 mount. Not sure if viofo packs the boxes differently from North America what it does in the UK.

I haven't mounted it yet as I got it late yesterday and decided against trying to do so in the dusk with only 10 minutes of day light left so I would not know about the ticking noise.

The link isn't working for me. What should I search for on Amazon.
Sorry never noticed you were from across the puddle. Looked on amazon.ca here's the link
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/B07T5L7756
I got the 1mm stuff, works fine for me, wife bagged the rest of it for her crafting.

My new A119 V3 arrived today. What setting is considered best ... the 1600p or the 1440p? I've opted for the 30 not 60.
Cam comes with firmware 2.4 only there's a 2.5 - had trouble loading it. Couldn't open it to see if there was another file preventing it loading.
Does 2.5 contain anything worth having or is 2.4 good enough as is..?

Cheers

Last edited:
This one of those tricky subjects as we all seem to prefer different firmware and settings.

I prefer 30fps, high bitrate and native 1440.

I can't comment on parking mode as I don't use it.

I also won't comment on firmware versions because I'm different from most it seems from previous posts.

Regarding changing firmware, use a freshly formatted FAT32 small capacity card and put the .bin file into the root of the card. Then plug it into a mobile phone charger, powerbank or the car, not a PC port.

Firmware 2.5 didn't convince me enough to update from 2.4. I'm happy enough with my new 119 v3. I use 1440 60fps, I'm happy with that.
Like Kremmen I don't use parking mode so can't comment.
It's hardwired to my old nextbase hardwire kit, that saved me a hassle. Might need to look at fuse box again sometime tho', start/stop function is a pest.

Last edited:
My new A119 V3 arrived today. What setting is considered best ... the 1600p or the 1440p? I've opted for the 30 not 60.
Cam comes with firmware 2.4 only there's a 2.5 - had trouble loading it. Couldn't open it to see if there was another file preventing it loading.
Does 2.5 contain anything worth having or is 2.4 good enough as is..?

Cheers
Read here:

Back