New DR500 brightness flickers like crazy

56rat

Reaction score
I just installed my new 500 1080p camera last night for the first time and I love everything about it except 2 things..

1. audio quality sucks, but whatever. not a big deal. I am not even going to worry about the audio.

2. It flickers like crazy when I play video back. ( this is driving me insane )

I just recorded a short 30 second video to show you what I mean. It will constantly go dark, then light, then dark. When it's dark it doesn't look nearly as good as when it goes light. I have tried adjusting the brightness settings and nothing seems to fix it. I would like it to stay bright all the time. It was not raining yesterday and it did the exact same thing with clear skies.

Anyone here have any ideas?

LINK:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Le97CGqGzp4

I think you are pointed too high to the sky.
It appears to be working as required if you consider what it is looking at.
You are driving into light, then behind you, then facing semi-darkness when you go to park.

Try turn the camera down a click at a time, so the sensor is not facing upwards and seeing the sky but rather the road in front.

Ill click it down when i leave and see how it works. I figure if I go any lower it'll just record a big piece of my hood.. I'll still try it though. Thanks.

yeah man that's waaaaaaay to high, I would be going 2 clicks down.

Far too high Sky should be no more than 1/3 of the picture Look at the left hand end of the camera and turn it so the wording is about halfway between 8 and 9 on a clockface

56rat said:
I just installed my new 500 1080p camera last night for the first time and I love everything about it except 2 things..

I got the same issue with my Dr380G-HD

Basically it is a piece of crap.

alphadec said:
56rat said:

I got the same issue with my Dr380G-HD

Basically it is a piece of crap.
Not always the cameras fault The ID 10 T factor often comes into play

petardo said:
Question, is DR500-HD the same as DR500GW-HD?
I am a bit confused with this auction
http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-BlackVue-DR ... 3383e89011

It says 2013.7 new brand. But then dr500gw-gps-wifi= dr500-hd.
Not sure if this is a new model or if it is the same.

the only thing I can see new is the black mount. which is pretty sweet but too glossy. they should make it the same color as the camera.

vbx said:
petardo said:

the only thing I can see new is the black mount. which is pretty sweet but too glossy. they should make it the same color as the camera.

Just make sure that it is an ENGLISH version as a lot from Korea are Korean domestic versions as was mine. Not really hard to fix but just be aware

IS a shame they didnt go back to the same angled lens as was in the 400 which gave a far better picture

Hillbilly said:
vbx said:
petardo said:

Just make sure that it is an ENGLISH version as a lot from Korea are Korean domestic versions as was mine. Not really hard to fix but just be aware

IS a shame they didnt go back to the same angled lens as was in the 400 which gave a far better picture

I have tried download a firmware but all I get is "wrong version" from the cam when I connect it.

Where can I find firmware that I can use. ?
Looks like the firmware that you download from pitasoft.com (korea) cannot be used .

the only thing I can see new is the black mount. which is pretty sweet but too glossy. they should make it the same color as the camera.[/quote]

IS a shame they didnt go back to the same angled lens as was in the 400 which gave a far better picture[/quote]

I have tried download a firmware but all I get is "wrong version" from the cam when I connect it.

Did you have it running after you first installed it The firmware is in the camera when its new and the SD card is blank You just put it in the camera and turn it on and the camera loads the info onto the card

After reading posts below I would say you already have the latest firmware for that model

petardo said:

It is a light version without Wi-Fi and GPS. All other features are same with DR500GW-HD.

BlackVue said:
petardo said:

It is a light version without Wi-Fi and GPS. All other features are same with DR500GW-HD.

ah, no wonder it is advertised as improved performance in high temperature environments, lot less in there generating heat.

vbx said:
Thanks, i did not notice this

Hillbilly said:

Thanks foe the hint. I think it was written somewhere in the ítem description or title that it is the english version

BlackVue said:
petardo said:

Umm. Now i am really confused...
So in the statement "DR500gw-gps-wifi= dr500-hd", the symbol "-" in the left part is not a hyphen but it is a substraction sign?! Really disappointing :(

At very bottom of eBay listing says "Dr500hd is different to Dr500hd-gw as it does not contain GPS or Wi-Fi".
But the beginning definitely looks to try to confuse with prominent -wifi-gps....I would say a bit of a dodgy listing trying to catch unsuspecting purchasers out.

petardo said:
BlackVue said:
petardo said:

Umm. Now i am really confused...
So in the statement "DR500gw-gps-wifi= dr500-hd", the symbol "-" in the left part is not a hyphen but it is a substraction sign?! Really disappointing :(
I have emailed them and they realise its confusing and will amend it I have bought a few things off them and they are a pretty good seller really.

Have just looked and its done already

Last edited by a moderator:
tonymy01 said:
At very bottom of eBay listing says "Dr500hd is different to Dr500hd-gw as it does not contain GPS or Wi-Fi".
But the beginning definitely looks to try to confuse with prominent -wifi-gps....I would say a bit of a dodgy listing trying to catch unsuspecting purchasers out.
You are right, i have just seen it. But they must have changed the description recently. When I saw this the first time, this sentence was definitely not there.

Hillbilly said:
I have emailed them and they realise its confusing and will amend it I have bought a few things off them and they are a pretty good seller really.

Have just looked and its done already
Exactly. It seems they included a new sentence. Now it is definitely better description than before.
But still, I think they should also remove the clarification in the picture: "DR500GW - GPS - WiFi = DR500" since this is really confusing.

Back