New Firmware V 1.6 available

Only firmware in the download folder. And, as I mentioned, I deleted the file and downloaded it again to be sure. Here I go a third time:
Downloads folder is empty. I've downloaded a fresh copy of v1.6 from A119S V1.6 Firmware .
Now I'll even "reset defaults" on the camera first.
Now I've plugged in the Camera to the computer using MicroUSB.
Camera is in mass storage.
I see volume "Volume1" I copy "FWA119S.bin" to the root of Volume1.
I unmount Volume1, and pull MicroUSB cable to power down camera.
I plug back in, and see Rec light flash dance. Fast flashes, then slow flashes, then fast again, then slow again, then fast again, then steady, and camera boots to mass storage.
I check root of Volume1, no .bin file.

Let me go to my car and check firmware.

Firmware V1.4. Here's a picture:
firmv1.4.jpg

I added both FWA119S.bin and LDBA119.bin to the mass storage volume. The camera did the Rec light flash dance. Still V1.4. :(

When you are powering the camera to load the firmware, are you using a USB charger or your computer USB port? Be sure to use a USB charger (phone charger).

I added both FWA119S.bin and LDBA119.bin to the mass storage volume. The camera did the Rec light flash dance. Still V1.4. :(

Can you try using a card reader instead of mass storage mode to copy the file over?

Can you try using a different memory card?

This is the first report of this.

I can do both. In fact I've already done the first. The preferred was for me to do this is using a card reader on my Mac. I tried that twice, and when it failed both times I went to Mass Storage mode to avoid potential file system issues (not that there should be any).

Right now I'm in Windows 10, trying again. (same card). If it fails, I'll try another card.

Interestingly, after the last suggestion of adding the bootloader file, the firmware deleted after update, but the LDBA119.bin file remained. Maybe that's normal, I can't remember.

I got it updated to v1.6. Here's what I think was happening... I think that the .zip file linked off the Viofo site was automatically being unzipped on the Mac, and that led to so sort of filesystem corruption. There's a legacy file format on Mac called MacBinary, and it has the extension .bin. It's possible that the MacOS was trying to handle the file as this legacy format. I've firmware upgraded from the Mac in the past, so my assumption is that if I had used Chrome instead of Safari, or maybe defeated Safari from further unzipping the file automatically, or something like that it might have worked.

So the camera is updated. Had to boot to windows to get it so.

I appreciate all the help folks!

Ah ok, thanks for the update. Good to know in case it happens to someone else in the future. (mental note)

how do you fix the XXXXXXX issue? Reinstalling the firmware?

I'm on 1.6 and just got the problem for the first time today.

how do you fix the XXXXXXX issue? Reinstalling the firmware?

I'm on 1.6 and just got the problem for the first time today.

Reinstall 1.6 and reset to defaults.

Reinstall 1.6 and reset to defaults.
Do you follow the same steps to reinstall as you do to update? Because that hasn't worked.

Edit, I think I broke it.

Do you follow the same steps to reinstall as you do to update? Because that hasn't worked.

V 1.4 was meant to resolve this issue but it hasn't. For now reinstalling 1.6 is the only option. The unit in my car has been running fine for almost a week since reinstalling V 1.6.

Same steps for reinstall and update. Are you copying the .bin file to the card via a card reader or through Mass Storage Mode? Try using a card reader to transfer the file, then put the card in the camera and power it via a USB charger (not a computer USB port).

Same steps for reinstall and update. Are you copying the .bin file to the card via a card reader or through Mass Storage Mode? Try using a card reader to transfer the file, then put the card in the camera and power it via a USB charger (not a computer USB port).

Thanks harsh and CYA. I updated the other way mentioned by CYA and reset the firmware. Looks like it is working again.

Thought I had a $150 paperweight for a second :(

Thanks harsh and CYA. I updated the other way mentioned by CYA and reset the firmware. Looks like it is working again.

Thought I had a $150 paperweight for a second :(
Hopefully they will have a fix for this bug soon.

is it recommended to stick with old firmware if we don't have issues? or are newer ones better?

IQ improvements are always nice but not at the cost of stability :)

Back