New Mount Option For A119S

just curious what sensors are on the back of the mirror?
Not sure. There is a 1/2 inch square recessed area on the forward facing side of my mirror that has a white, possibly translucent plastic cover while the rest of the entire front if the mirror is black plastic. I suspect that it has something to do with auto-dimming the mirror. Like it detects when it's night or day, but I don't really know. I mounted my camera on the passenger of the mirror to possibly not interfere with it.

Not sure. There is a 1/2 inch square recessed area on the forward facing side of my mirror that has a white, possibly translucent plastic cover while the rest of the entire front if the mirror is black plastic. I suspect that it has something to do with auto-dimming the mirror. Like it detects when it's night or day, but I don't really know. I mounted my camera on the passenger of the mirror to possibly not interfere with it.
Thanks for reply

Until the official VIOFO suction cup mount is ready, here is a good 3rd party solution that works well. It's very stable/solid. (I have several customers using these now) Just stick one of the spare mounts to this. (or your primary mount if this is a full time plan)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/B000FGI9R0
61bRuiYpW7L._SL1000_.jpg
Call me a dummy, but I'm trying to visualize how the dashcam would be mounted on this. Using this image, does the camera get mounted above or below the platform? And wouldn't the suction device be in the way of the recording view?

20170509_121316-min.jpg Funny you should ask as I just opened my mail and got one in hand as you posted this. I took a couple of quick pictures of it laying on my kitchen table with my cellphone for you to get an idea of how it "might" go. You'd need to use one of the Adhesive backs to attach the Camera to it. I won't get to actually try it for a couple of days as my memory card is not here yet and i don't have one to use,so i can't give you an opinion on this mount just yet.

**** follow up****
I've been messing with the suction mount yesterday and today and i have tried it many different ways now. Just for the heck of it, i just installed a Lock washer to see if that would help take up the slack in the loose mount and it did help,but it doesn't look pretty. I'd guess it helped about 85% compared to how it was before,but you'd need a phillips screw driver to adjust it in position where you want it,then tighten the screw. It works good enough for me in a pinch. I would still wait for the official VIOFO suction mount to be released.

Attachments

• 20170504_101121-min.jpg
    20170504_101121-min.jpg
    203.3 KB · Views: 73
  • 20170504_101105-min.jpg
    20170504_101105-min.jpg
    182.9 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:
Funny you should ask as I just opened my mail and got one in hand as you posted this. I took a couple of quick pictures of it laying on my kitchen table with my cellphone for you to get an idea of how it "might" go. You'd need to use one of the Adhesive backs to attach the Camera to it. I won't get to actually try it for a couple of days as my memory card is not here yet and i don't have one to use,so i can't give you an opinion on this mount just yet.

I'm looking forward to seeing final pics of your actual camera install on this suction mount, how you have it placed on the windshield and how well you find it really works.

I may also consider this mount option depending on time of availability and price of VIOFO's new mount that's coming.

you won't have to wait long, will be available in a few weeks time
In my vision, the suction cup will be reinvented when will be not round anymore, but a rectangle. In this way the whole mount will be not so big as today.

About 3 years ago I had a vision about actual Samsung Galaxy S8 ”infinity display”, a borderless smartphone. After 3 years somebody created it, Samsung, but I was expecting at that time that the first move to come from iPhone because their design from 3 to 4 to 5 was hard to be improved just by creating a rectangle with a round button and call it later iPhone 6 ... 7... 8.

enjoy,
Mtz

In my vision, the suction cup will be reinvented when will be not round anymore, but a rectangle. In this way the whole mount will be not so big as today.

I suspect the reason suction cups are round is so that the pressure is evenly dispersed, if it were any other shape that would possibly reduce its effectiveness

I suspect the reason suction cups are round is so that the pressure is evenly dispersed, if it were any other shape that would possibly reduce its effectiveness
If they were square you would need to construct them with a hard structure and a thin rubber "skirt" seal, bit like a hovercraft. The problems then is that they would not easily adjust to different curvatures of windscreen and you would need a separate vacuum pump to create the suction which would increase the cost. It would be more stable though and you could use much softer/better material for the seal making it less likely to leak and fall off.

Можно придумать дополнительно такое крепление, что дает возможность ставить регистратор не точно по центру.

IMG_20170505_143619.jpg

This afternoon i removed the GPS Module from my A119S and just wanted to try on one of the other mounts that came with the Camera. I tried both of them and to my surprise,i almost could not remove them once they locked into place! I mean,literally... i used all of my strength until my finger tips turned white trying to get them off the camera body! This was done with the camera in my hands. I don't see any way these mounts can be used as i'd never get the camera off either one of them. Do i need to do some filing down or something? This is the new version 2 of the A119S that i just got but haven't installed on my car yet. My thought was to attach the thicker mount to the Suction cup mount i bought and try it out,but the way it is now.... i thought i'd break the camera trying to separate either of the fixed mounts from the Camera. The GPS Module goes on and off just fine but the other 2 mounts don't seem usable. Any help or ideas please?

If you don't have the mount stuck to glass you won't have the leverage you need to remove it very easily if everything is completely off the window and you're just testing. I wouldn't worry. But now it's going to be hard to remove until you actually stick it to the glass.

If you don't have the mount stuck to glass you won't have the leverage you need to remove it very easily if everything is completely off the window and you're just testing. I wouldn't worry. But now it's going to be hard to remove until you actually stick it to the glass.

I trust you in what you're saying but... the GPS Module attaches and comes off normally. These other 2 mounts scare me to even try! I Guess i'll attach the thicker one to my Suction mount then since you say it's normal,but i don't want to break this Camera when i try to separate the mount from the Camera.

I got your Facebook message too. EVA Foam doesn't come pre-attached. You need to put one piece on the back of the camera yourself. A few pieces should be in the box but you only need to use one.

Ok, i got black foam in the box,not brown as shown here. I'll first try the thicker fixed mount on the Suction Cup mount and see if that works ok. Those mounts are soooo tight now i don't think i could attach the camera if it had the foam. I'll try and hope nothing gets broken. I'll keep you posted on how it goes. Thank you very much for you fast reply on here and facebook.

It's black, I guess the color is washed out from the flash.

Without the foam it will vibrate after the plastic stretches. Glass is curved and slowly pulls/warps. Believe me you'll want it eventually

Back