Nextbase 512G sticky mount !!

joss002

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
Street Guardian SG9665GC v2
Hello,does anyone know if there is a sticky mount for the Nextbase 512G ?
Thinking of the Nextbase as my next dashcam but the suction cup mount looks like it will be a bit too long and position the cam too low on the windscreen as I want to fit it below the rain sensor cover.

Several points:

1. Your proposed fitting location could be illegal due to windscreen obstruction laws (basically 4cm within the swept area of the windscreen and only 1cm in the driver's main viewing area above the steering wheel).

2. I've had Nextbase stuff in the past but wouldn't bother with them again.

3. If you still want an adhesive mount, make a hybrid mount by unscrewing/pulling the ball out of the Nextbase suction mount and fitting into a mount something like this one >link< which are readily available from a variety of sellers.

4. I always suggest running two front and one rear cam, if affordable (rear windows usually need an adhesive mount).
So many things can cause a cam not to record, such as: cam failure, power supply failure, sd card failure or user error. Having two front cams makes is extremely unlikely you'll miss an important moment.
I suggest one narrow-angle front cam to capture a zoomed-in image, plus a wide-angle front cam to capture peripheral events. Maybe one with a speed/GPS stamp and the other without, maybe one recording audio and the other mute. The rear cam is best with a fairly wide angle. Note some manufacturers quote diagonal angle while others quote horizontal angle, and some use questionable methods.

This is the kind of position I was hoping for....

cam.jpg

Ive had 2 Mini cams the 0805 and 0806 and both failed on me which is a shame as they were very discrete from outside the car and whilst driving,I could barely see the cam,thats why I want a sticky mount,to keep it as close to the black area as I can.
Im looking for a more high street brand name so if I do have problems I can just take it in.
Any other recommendations are welcomed...

This is the kind of position I was hoping for....

Have you passed MoT tests with a cam in that position?
I would expect a MoT tester or policeman to question whether your view of the road is impaired. Bear in mind the Nextbase 402/512 are quite large and will hang quite low due to the bulge on the top of their casing which houses the GPS.

....they were very discrete from outside the car and whilst driving,I could barely see the cam, thats why I want a sticky mount,to keep it as close to the black area as I can.....

Cams such as the JooVuu X, Mobius and Street Guardian SGZC12RC are very small and discreet, with the latter being a 'lens on a wire' type of cam.

....Im looking for a more high street brand name so if I do have problems I can just take it in.
Any other recommendations are welcomed...

Transcend. But the cams are about 6-7cm and roughly square so are not discreet.

I guess the photo is deceiving as the camera was pointing under the mirror.
The black area where the mount is stuck comes down around 23cm into the swept area and the camera its self is a little less that 4cm high so it is sitting less than 4cm into the "visible" (lol) swept area.
Just seems strange that the camera would be illegal there but its ok to have that big black area going in 23cm,it doesnt need to be that long as the rain sensor is in the top half !! Its all very confusing lol
I was looking at the Transcend,the long mount kind of put me off but dont think it would be too hard to shorten it.The Road Angel Halo was looking good with a low profile sticky mount but then the 1280p x 720p resolution put me off,it all makes my head hurt lol

Ive had 2 Mini cams the 0805 and 0806 and both failed on me which is a shame as they were very discrete ...

If you like the Mini 080x form factor, you'll love the SGZC12RC. I have Mini 0805 & SGZC12RC, & the SG is considerably smaller & more discreet.

image.jpeg

My previous and current car have/had the horrible oversized sensor housing which itself is a major obstruction to visibility, especially taller people. It's a horrible task trying to find somewhere that's both legal and doesn't interfere with my view.
My most recent solution to the dilemma was to:
1. Screw and stick a mount to the top of the dashboard (similar to the mount I linked earlier) and on the mount sits a JooVuu X.
2. Fit a SGZC12RC-V2 at the top right of my windscreen (behind my sun visor, at the edge of the wiper sweep zone) and its control unit sits in a storage hole in the central console.

Picture below showing the awkward sensor housing in my car. The cam is a Nextbase 402G but it appeared to not cope well with the summer heat inside my car and it soon started malfunctioning. Hence now having two high-quality capacitor cams in the front instead of battery cams.

Thanks for the advice guys,its much appreciated.My rain sensor is similar to yours 2000rpm but with around 3in of extra black area below it.
The SGZC12RC-V2 was looking great,I had a few places I was hoping to fit the display unit but after measuring up it wont fit in any of them,it will fit in the glove box of course but Id rather it was easy at hand for the "incident" button and I believe the mic is on the display unit as well.
The BlackVue DR650-1CH also caught my eye,its a bit longer but the diameter is a little less than the 0806 so size wasnt too bad but the bitrate seemed low and no incident button so think that 1 is out.

So now after a re-think,Im going to position it on the left or right side of the rain sensor housing at the top of the screen which opens up more cam options lol
The Street Guardian SG9665GC v2 is now at the top of the hit list.All the specs seen nice,extrenal GPS,I like the way it mounts with no arm to the sticky or suction mount,most of the cam will be stuck over the black speckled area at the top of the screen,mostly hid behind the mirror and easy access to the buttons,and theres a CPL filter available.
Its a bloody dash cam minefield out there

Back